83 lightening rods - stuck?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2016, 07:37 PM

83 lightening rods - stuck?

I finally managed to get my hands on a 83 Hurst (pics soon). I'm just getting the car going so not sure about this but I think the shifters may be jammed. The right most shifter is in top position (ie up towards the enginge), middle shifter is down, and i can move the left most shifter to any postion including D, OD, etc. I cannot seem to push the buttons to move shifter 1 or 2. The tranny is shifting fine in full auto mode. Is something jammed??? All ideas/suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:17 AM

the left stick has to be back in D or else the middle wont move and the middle has to be down for the right stick to move. make sure all the linkage is freely moving underneath the car as well.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
the left stick has to be back in D or else the middle wont move and the middle has to be down for the right stick to move. make sure all the linkage is freely moving underneath the car as well.
Thanks for getting back to me. Just to be clear, the left stick works fine in D, OD, etc. I took the various cover plates off to look at the mechanism. Nothing is binding. The problem seems to be that I can't depress the buttons on stick 2 or 3 to move them. Does that provide you with any hints/ideas? Is there anything under the floor I should look at at? When I test drove the car, everything was fine so it would appear something has jammed since....
Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:16 PM

The #2 and #1 will not move unless the shifter is in "D". When in "D", will "2" shift down [back]?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by amoman82
Thanks for getting back to me. Just to be clear, the left stick works fine in D, OD, etc. I took the various cover plates off to look at the mechanism. Nothing is binding. The problem seems to be that I can't depress the buttons on stick 2 or 3 to move them. Does that provide you with any hints/ideas? Is there anything under the floor I should look at at? When I test drove the car, everything was fine so it would appear something has jammed since....
try this.. with the car off and the E-brake applied, turn on the key so the column is unlocked. now put the car in D. now grab the part of the column that spins and wiggle it side to side while trying to pull the second lever back. My guess is that there is something wrong in the shifter itself that frees up the middle shifter, but wiggling the column is just like a quick troubleshoot.
Old May 24th, 2016, 07:16 PM

Success!! Moving the column piece did the trick. Thanks both for your hints/ideas. I'm guessing because the car hasn't been driven much, things are a little rusty. Now on to changing the busted lower rad hose, which of course went after I flushed the thing and put new coolent in At least it went in the driveway and not on the road!

I do have another potential issue with the tranny getting out of first with quite a jolt but I'm hoping a bit of driving will smooth out the shifting. I'll post if needed. Fingers crossed...
Old May 25th, 2016, 02:39 AM

welcome to the world of Hurst Olds!
Old May 25th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Not that Bob has had any experience with jammed-up Lightning Rods...
Old May 25th, 2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Not that Bob has had any experience with jammed-up Lightning Rods...
Nooooooo never . lol . first time i drove someones car i didnt know you had to let off the button when going from OD to N and then press again to go into R. Lol