69 Hurst Olds Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2016, 09:32 PM

69 Hurst Olds Exhaust

I am looking to replace the exhaust on my 69 Hurst Olds because the Midas muffler has finally failed. Installed it in 1982. Does anyone have any leads on a complete unit?

Thanks
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:11 AM

You might want to try Classic Exhaust, never had a problem with their systems and priced reasonably.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:19 AM

I put a system on my 69 H/O a couple years ago. Bought an aluminized system from Waldron. Then had it professionally installed. Fit like a glove. No additional work needed. The installer complimented the system. I think I paid a couple hundred less than Gardner. Tried to locate my receipt but couldn't. I recommend Waldron highly.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:27 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yep Gardner and Waldron are the two that are supposed to have the best. There is a set of NOS tail pipes for sale in the classified page.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:53 AM

I had a problem with Waldrons. The 59 pipe on one side was not bent properly, it was off quite a bit. It needs to go thru a opening in the X frame up front. I called them and the reply was it is not unusual to have to "adjust" the pipes. I was told to take a torch with rosebud tip and heat the 2 inch pipe cherry red and bend it to fit.... I would think this amount of effort is excessive for a reproduction pipe. My second dealing with them was an inquiry for 66 Delta resonators with attached offset tail pipe ends like factory which were on my car and I had NOS ones in boxes. I was told that there was no offset tailpipe required and was never produced by Olds so mine must be custom. That's the last I would ever deal with Waldrons. There seemed to be an attitude as well in the response from them.
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:35 PM

I installed the set from Inline Tube on my '69 a couple of years ago. The system fit great and came with all of the hardware.
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:55 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by geardoc66
I installed the set from Inline Tube on my '69 a couple of years ago. The system fit great and came with all of the hardware.
I have also heard good things about the INL system I am in need of an exhaust sys. and i am most likely going with the 650.00 INL sys. I emailed gardner for an approx estimate cost and they refused they wanted me to call in person...screw that... i asked for an estmate
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:31 PM

make the call, gardner system fits
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:54 AM

We've installed Gardener systems and other systems over the years. The only system I recommend to my customers is Gardener's exhaust system. Every single one without exception has fit perfectly. ~BOB
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:43 AM

I installed a Gardner system in my 71 442, it fit like a glove. Not one snag. Gardner actually called me to discuss their system after my email inquiry. Unheard of today.
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:36 PM

Thank you for your help. I will let you know which one we use.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

This thread is almost a year old. I hope the OP got the exhaust on and drove the car before last summer...
Old January 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
I have also heard good things about the INL system I am in need of an exhaust sys. and i am most likely going with the 650.00 INL sys. I emailed gardner for an approx estimate cost and they refused they wanted me to call in person...screw that... i asked for an estmate

Gartner just wants to make sure you know what you are getting. Also they may tell you driver side head pipe is 2" instead of 2 1/4" what I was told is bone stock correct. But I'd rather have the performance and symetry so went with 2 1/4" both head pipes probably what a lot of providers will tell you, my system supplier(now out of business) used Walker 17804 mufflers very close to original and good fit. irregardless a lot of these systems just don't bolt right up and need a bit of tweeking. rule of thumb I was told was to have the head pipes centered in trans support indents and about a fingers worth of clearance between head pipe and the indents. was right one for me...
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by tndrtgr
Thank you for your help. I will let you know which one we use.
Hope no one was holding their breath... Hasn't made a post since that date...
Old June 2nd, 2019, 01:50 PM
Olds Fanatic

I installed the Gardner Turbo Exhaust system on my '69 H/O yesterday and can say without reservation it is the finest system I've ever seen/installed. The quality of all the components is second to none, each an exact duplicate of the factory configuration. The fit was perfect, required almost no "tweaking" to get everything lined up. All the components are individually packaged by application and well labeled (including the mufflers).

Since I am in CT and they are in NY, I took the opportunity to head out to their shop to pick my system up. Eric and his crew are great to work with, both knowledgeable and dedicated to providing the highest quality systems and customer service. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for a top notch product.

Oh yeah... it sounds pretty awesome too!!

Last edited by 69 Hurst; June 2nd, 2019 at 01:54 PM.