General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What is needed?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:11 AM

What is needed?

What is needed to run a return fuel line? Is it just the pump with the return fitting and the sending unit with the return fitting?
If I put the sending unit with the return fitting in now before I do my motor swap etc can I just cap off the return line of it for the time being?
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:30 AM
morgan

Yes you can ...if the the return line is already there it can be capped just in front of the control arm where it exits the frame
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:51 AM

Is it a metal line? This car didn't have a return line but since I'm dropping a 455 in it and it already has the pump and I haven't ordered my new sending unit yet I figured better to have it than not have it and risk problems.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
morgan

Im not sure i follow you but yes the return line is metal thru and along the fram and it connects to the tank and fuel pump with 1/4 inch rubber line...if you dont have a return line than cap the sending unit and fuel pump
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Just throwing out my thought, you can run the car without one the same as your old engine.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Just throwing out my thought, you can run the car without one the same as your old engine.
That was the original plan. Even my neighbor said that to me. He said just get a vented fuel cap. Like was discussed in the other thread, it's there for a reason. I'd rather not run into any problems. We'll see... I'll price the line to see what that would run me and I'm not sure how much work it would be to put it in. I have to figure something out so I know which sending unit to get
Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:25 PM
morgan

Well if left to me no way would i run that line, to do it right it runs up thru frame and the body was lowered over the frame and it will need to be retained without vibration...its a pretty decent aggravating job to do if you have to do it....your 455 will probably care less if it has the return unless you live in death valley
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Administrator

There are many BBO powered cars that don't run a return line. Pa is not as warm as down here in Texas.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:17 PM

Well, it's sounding like a waste of time/money if I do run the line..maybe I should just stick with my original plan then...
The big blocks and small blocks all use the same pump, correct?
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It would be very nice to have a return line, but running the proper factory original return line would be a colossal PIA, and it's my impression that the only way to install it properly is to do it with the body off.

You could always run a non-original return line, maybe copper, or a CuNi brake line, but that's a bunch of work, too.

It might make sense to just cap the extra ports, and see how things go, then you could always add a return later of you found that you had a problem with vapor lock.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:44 PM

I ordered the sending unit today with the return line. My plan is to cap it but it will be there just in case. It was the same price. Just so I know, is there a reason not to just run rubber fuel line the whole way? Tucked up neatly along the frame or wherever?
Also, does it really matter what brand the sending unit is? I just ordered it through autozone. I can't see how one would be any better than another. Same with my tank straps, ordered them also through autozone. My old ones were looking pretty cruddy.
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Not a good idea for a rubber line as it can get punctured by road debris, crack, or chafe. Its just not safe. People have used a combination of a regular fuel line and braided rubber in non-stock applications.
Old May 4th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I ran all-rubber hoses back to front on a rustbucket Skylark I had when I was a kid.

I never had any problems with it, but it was just a Bad Idea, and I would never do it again as an adult, if only to improve the soundness of my sleep every night.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Administrator

You know thinking back on my childhood ideas.... no not going there.