General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

AM Radio Restoration - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2014, 04:31 PM

AM Radio Restoration - is it worth it?

I have an aesthetically near perfect original AM radio for my 59 that probably doesn't work. It will cost $150 to $250 to have it updated (new capacitors plus whatever else is needed). Where I live the only thing on AM is religion and fanatical politics so I will never use it. I plan to hide an FM/CD/MP3 unit somewhere and I will use that. The car is otherwise a frame off restoration that cost more than I ever imagined (don't they all?) although I've made "allowances" here and there on originality. Should I restore the radio? Am I being penny wise and pound foolish for not getting it done?
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:39 PM

IMO: I don’t think so. I like your plan of hiding the up-dated system and leaving the original in the dash for esthetics.
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:42 PM

I had my radio converted to am/fm with bluetooth which kept the original look and gave me a better option of what I listen to. Its pricey but in my opinion worth it. I get in the car and hit play on my iPhone and play what I want. Some will disagree about changing the radio function from stock which is a decision you would have to make based on how original you want to keep the car. This is the guy that did it for me.
http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

Mark
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by johns59super88
I have an aesthetically near perfect original AM radio for my 59 that probably doesn't work. It will cost $150 to $250 to have it updated (new capacitors plus whatever else is needed). Where I live the only thing on AM is religion and fanatical politics so I will never use it. I plan to hide an FM/CD/MP3 unit somewhere and I will use that. The car is otherwise a frame off restoration that cost more than I ever imagined (don't they all?) although I've made "allowances" here and there on originality. Should I restore the radio? Am I being penny wise and pound foolish for not getting it done?
IMO, if you plan on selling it one day, I would do both. Have your stock radio repaired, and install a hidden system.
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

There is absolutely nothing on AM really worth listening to. Don't waste your money on getting it fixed. Just install the aftermarket unit in a hidden location or in plain sight. Did you give any thought to the speakers? Old stock needs different speakers than new aftermarket.
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:26 PM

I would go the route of Mark57. There are people that can convert a stock appearing AM radio into an AM/FM with mp3 or iphone jack for music. They will also upgrade the amplifier to better than most aftermarket power outputs. It will look the same as stock and perform as good or better than aftermarket. Cost will be comparable to doing the aftermarket thingy.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM

I happen to like the warm glow from the original radio along with the feel of those radio controls. For that reason I would vote for converting your existing radio and abandon the aftermarket idea.
Old October 18th, 2014, 12:56 AM

I did both. The original radio has an amazing warm sound and I often cruise at night playing the Jukebox Saturday night hits
During the day I really don't take to talkback and have fitted a hidden audio, complete with Amp, sub and 6x9 speakers. It shakes the number plate and has a hands free kit built in.
There are two 6x9 speakers in that parcel shelf !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0075.jpg (35.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0076.jpg (70.2 KB, 40 views)
Old October 18th, 2014, 04:44 AM

I used dual voice coil speakers which means I have one rear and one front speaker which maintains the stock appearance and you still use all 4 speaker outputs. I didn't go for anything powerful, just wanted to hear it and enjoy good music. I used these speakers which really aren't the greatest but for the price I can't complain.
http://www.garytayman.com/oscommerce...products_id=31

Mark
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I gotta throw this out there. I never tried to get the radio working on my Super 88. Instead, I put a new state of the art unit in the glove box with new speakers. After the first cruise, I never turned it on again. I'd much rather listen to the sounds of the Super 88.

Frank
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I gotta throw this out there. I never tried to get the radio working on my Super 88. Instead, I put a new state of the art unit in the glove box with new speakers. After the first cruise, I never turned it on again. I'd much rather listen to the sounds of the Super 88.

Frank
Its always a beautiful thing the sound of a V8
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I think you need a system that will sound good when playing swing band, jazz, or crooners. Isn't that what the man who bought the car in 1959 would listen to?.

Roger.
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by lazy394
I did both. The original radio has an amazing warm sound and I often cruise at night playing the Jukebox Saturday night hits
During the day I really don't take to talkback and have fitted a hidden audio, complete with Amp, sub and 6x9 speakers. It shakes the number plate and has a hands free kit built in.
There are two 6x9 speakers in that parcel shelf !
Lazy, you have put your hidden audio where your Transportable radio is supposed to hang from the main radio.
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Lazy, you have put your hidden audio where your Transportable radio is supposed to hang from the main radio.
Yes it is isn't it!
But being an AC car the glove box is shallower/ odd shaped and that's the only place deep enough for it to go, in fact the choice of head unit was based on its dimensions.
the usb is loaded with music from the 40's to current, I often wonder what the car thinks of Pink Floyd cranked
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:21 AM

I like Pink Floyd cranked. You could put a boom box in your trunk and make your whole car 'shake, rattle, and roll', not just the number plate!
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:43 AM

Go with the hidden one leave the old one alone.Don't change anything you can't change back later.
I just upgraded my 74 Omega AM to a AM FM 8- track last winter.I even restored a set of old pioneers for the back deck.
railguy
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:52 AM

For those with working original AM or FM radios and stereos and value the stock appearance , consider this great product to tie in your cell phone, Ipod , Satellite Radio or MP3 player etc and play it thru your OEM system without any mods to the car. It plugs in thru the antennae input and switches off the incoming radio signal when powered up. Just needs power and ground and hides easily leaving only the female cable input connection where you want it. https://rediscoveradio.com/
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:08 PM

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I enjoyed the array of options various people chose and the rationales. I think I'm going to install the original radio as is and go with a secret or hidden unit for actually listening to. I like where you put yours LAZY394.

I never had the original speakers for the car so will be buying new speakers and will want it to be simple such as the type Mark57 used. The dash is now painted and polished and I have been looking at how to mount a front speaker up there. It appears I have a single stud hanging down in the center and to the rear of the speaker location and that's it. LAZY394, or anyone else, can you give me any clues as to how that front speaker is supposed to mount on a 59? Will I have to make a mounting bracket of some kind? The rear speaker will be a breeze. Thanks!
John
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by johns59super88
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I enjoyed the array of options various people chose and the rationales. I think I'm going to install the original radio as is and go with a secret or hidden unit for actually listening to. I like where you put yours LAZY394.

I never had the original speakers for the car so will be buying new speakers and will want it to be simple such as the type Mark57 used. The dash is now painted and polished and I have been looking at how to mount a front speaker up there. It appears I have a single stud hanging down in the center and to the rear of the speaker location and that's it. LAZY394, or anyone else, can you give me any clues as to how that front speaker is supposed to mount on a 59? Will I have to make a mounting bracket of some kind? The rear speaker will be a breeze. Thanks!
John
From what I can see that is all that holds it in. It slips into a bracket on the windscreen edge and has a single nut and washer to secure it
Does the 59 Caddy or Bonny share the same front speaker? If so you may be able to get a new one?

Last edited by lazy394; October 22nd, 2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by GEARMAN69
For those with working original AM or FM radios and stereos and value the stock appearance , consider this great product to tie in your cell phone, Ipod , Satellite Radio or MP3 player etc and play it thru your OEM system without any mods to the car. It plugs in thru the antennae input and switches off the incoming radio signal when powered up. Just needs power and ground and hides easily leaving only the female cable input connection where you want it. https://rediscoveradio.com/

I'm glad you posted this because I was about to if you had not

I love the look of a stock deck in a classic car, especially when it's working. Being able to add your own tunes with an ipod, etc is key nowadays which is why I have these in both of my 98's and I absolutely love it! It's non-invasive and works very, very well. You can plug anything with a headphone jack into it and it's very clear. They have units for AM, FM, 6 volt, 12 volt, etc. I would give them a call. Even if your radio needs work before this would work for you, you would have a completely original radio that can play anything you want it to.

It seems like there are some other great options out there based on the other responses but from my own personal experience, these are a great option for classics.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
I'm glad you posted this because I was about to if you had not

I love the look of a stock deck in a classic car, especially when it's working. Being able to add your own tunes with an ipod, etc is key nowadays which is why I have these in both of my 98's and I absolutely love it! It's non-invasive and works very, very well. You can plug anything with a headphone jack into it and it's very clear. They have units for AM, FM, 6 volt, 12 volt, etc. I would give them a call. Even if your radio needs work before this would work for you, you would have a completely original radio that can play anything you want it to.

It seems like there are some other great options out there based on the other responses but from my own personal experience, these are a great option for classics.
I was not aware of this product at all. Great idea, and the price looks attractive also. The only caveat is that if you have an AM only radio in your ride, you will not be able to listen in stereo, as most all AM radios were mono only. It would still be a great improvement over having to listen to AM radio..........
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:42 PM

Thanks Lazy and everyone else. Think I got what I need!