General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

455 Engine Swap into a 56 Olds Rocket

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM

Question 455 Engine Swap into a 56 Olds Rocket

I know this has been disucussed before, but I have never found any real info on doing this swap. Has anyone actually done one and found the easiest way? Im looking for advice as I have now bought a rebuilt 455 with 400 trans and I intend to put it in my 56. I thought by now someone has figured out what to do in regards to the engine mounts and trans mount for starters. Can anyone give me some good concrete advice to work with? Does a company making the brackets for the swap? Whats the best way to go about with the driveline? All help appreciated. Thanks Guys! Lyle in Montana
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:53 AM
Past Administrator

Search function works great.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...gine-swap.html
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM

Yes, thank you for reminding me that the search function works great! I have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science and I indeed did do a search on the website in regards to what I am looking for. As my question mentions, I am looking for advice on doing the swap, not necessarily searching for it. The link you provided although somewhat helpful, really doesn't provide enough information for me to proceed with a swap and feel confident I am doing it as correctly as possible, but thanks anyway (I had already read this). I am asking if there is anyone on the site who has completed this swap and learned from it what to do, and what not to do? Although I read the posts of attempts to make the swap, I have yet to find one that actually completed the swap, and found it to be very successful. I'm merely asking for advice as my question stated, from someone who has completed the swap already. I feel this may save me some time and from not making the same mistakes others may have made along the way. Thanks, Lyle

Last edited by moparmusclecars; September 3rd, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM

The link to Citicapp's swap is the best information you will find on this swap. From my understanding, Citicapp has nearly completed his swap and is almost ready to start the car. I hope to do a similar swap in my 64 98; however, I haven't completed building my 455. Almost there!

To get the 455 into an older car you can use one of the universal engine mounts from TransGo. If you are using a modern transmission you can also get a universal transmission mount. However, if you are using an older transmission the only place that modfies those old transmissions to fit a modern engine is Tanson (sp). Other than that the only thing you have to do is take your car to a shop to have the driveshaft modified. There should be shops in your local yellow pages that can do that for you (if you are near a big city). You might want to contact your local Olds club for additional info.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Past Administrator

Sorry, I thought that thread was pretty useful. Obviously Norm has done it in his '50 and by his statement the '57 is almost identical I would figure that would include your '56. As Jesse has said, Citcapp has probably finished his swap by now. Finally, I put a 455 in my '46 with little troubles, I really don't see the difficulty. Motor and transmission mounts, radiator inlet on your stock radiator, alternator bracket, water pump choice, exhaust manifold choice, cross-member, exhaust routing, and drive-shaft modification; are all addressed. I actually did it the hard way and fabricated my own motor mounts and transmission mounts, modified the front inner fenders to accept a generic radiator that I ordered that most closely fit the opening, modified the front radiator shroud, removed some of both inner fender wells to fit the wider engine, had a custom drive-shaft to fit from the transmission to the third member, and haven't yet but plan on using a tail shaft mounted shifter and cutting a hole in the floor board to allow the shifter stalk to fit. This isn't a by the numbers swap but every individual vehicle will require a few tweaks to that general plan. My original post was meant to be a friendly reminder about the search, nothing more. I apologize for sounding smug in it.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Your 56 is similar to my 57 swap. Because of the location of the steering box the generic motor mounts do not work ( I tried this method). I ended up cutting the generic motor mount apart and modifying it to fit. Got rid of the two piece drive line and used a single piece drive line with a 9" tail shaft turbo 400. Exhaust I used W Z manifolds to clear the stock steering. I will be taking picture of the under side of the car and under the hood and posting soon
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM

Exhaust I used W Z manifolds to clear the stock steering.
I hope to use W and Z manifolds to clear my steering as well. My steering box is mounted behind the center link as well; however, I don't know if it will be similar enough to your car to accomodate the W and Z manifolds. I got a set from Jamesbo and I have them in the shop getting repaired right now. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by moparmusclecars
........ I have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science
Congratulations.

Norm
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
........ Got rid of the two piece drive line ........
'56 used a one piece driveshaft. Not that it makes the conversion any different.

Norm
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:15 PM

Smile

I appreciate all the positive feedback from you guys. Guess I was looking for an easier way out. I would love to see your pics Citcapp when your finished. So what is being said here if I am reading this right is go ahead and use the universal crossmember and universal transmission mounting? I guess I just cut out the original engine crossmember? I'm trying to approach this project with caution, because I would like to do it as neat as I can the first time around. I own a shop so the tools and hoist are all covered. Actually if those universal mounting setups seem to work, I think thats probably the best approach. I had not considered the issue with the power steering box and using the other exhaust manifolds, so I'm glad it has been brought to my attention. The little stuff I don't believe will be much of an issue other than fiddling around to get stuff to fit. I'm not sure yet on the transmission what length it is, but I believe with the drive shaft cut to the proper length things will be just fine. I am thankful for all the responses again. Please excuse me if I came off wrong to anyone as that was not my intention. I just try to listen to others and learn from them whether it be through their fortunes or mistakes. Thanks Guys! Lyle

Last edited by moparmusclecars; September 3rd, 2008 at 06:44 PM.