General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What's New but Olds looking???

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2014, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What's New but Olds looking???

I was just doing some searching on the web for radio stuff for my 72 when I ran into an eBay auction. What I saw blew me away because it's the answer a lot of folks have been looking for. A factory correct looking AM/FM stereo radio for 72 Cutlass. It could be installed in 70/71 also but the faceplate would look a bit wrong.

with auxiliary input for iPhone / Smart phone HANDS FREE!! or satelite radio XM/Sirius, mp3 player, any old portable CD or cassette player!!
197020Cutlass20NB20300.png

ReproductionradioBACK_zps916b2780.png

........and, drum roll.....It's made in USA by Vintage Auto Radio

Thought some of you might be interested in upgrading from the old transistor 10 ohm speaker system. I know this isn't for everyone, but at the cost of refurbishing an old OEM system nowadays this presents a nice option. It will NOT work with the 8 track stereo (U57 option) for 70-72 as far as I can see. Hopefully there are mounting instructions and hardware that goes with it.

Anyway - something for you to look at or comment on.
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:36 PM
Kjr442

This is the way I planed on going.
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:52 PM

Not cheap but pretty darn cool. I have it bookmarked in case I ever have the extra bread. Thanks for sharing, Allan.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:12 PM

Alan this is very cool. I saw it last week. Here is another alternative if you have an original radio. I sent mine off to this shop a couple weeks ago to be converted. Cost is 400.00.
http://www.garytayman.net/
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Steve,

I do have an original AM/FM Stereo unit for my 72 and truth is it needs some help. I also have some 10 ohm speakers for the parcel shelf that I need to re-cone. If there was someone closeby who could do these restorations I'd definitely be having the restoration done.

My choices are limited though. If I send an OEM off for reconditioning I have to factor in the cost of original purchase (325.00), shipping (arm/leg - choose one), refurbishment (400 as per your link), $ exchange (yup, our $ is slipping badly), and the dang gubment who will likely want to charge me customs on my own radio coming back. So by the time I add all this up it's about half as expensive to get the new one with cool features. Then I'd just sell the OEM one to minimize the overall cost. It will also give me the opportunity to upgrade speakers and install a CD changer somewhere out of sight.

One of the things I saw potential for right away (pardon the pun) was that someone is now making the factory ***** and back plates that matches the OEM ones. How many guys do you know who would love to get a new faceplate/fader/ lens/ hz display/ and push buttons for their old units?

Think of it - what thief in their right mind would look twice at a factory looking old radio.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:32 PM

Allan,
I thought the face of the three radios was the same all three years? AM, AM-FM, & AM-FM Stereo? If not, school me.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this Allan. I hadn't decided yet on what I want to do with the system in my car but I really like this option.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You're probably right Scott. I might be thinking of the older models where the AM/FM was segregated to upper/lower displays. I know the 1970 had a multiplex unit, not sure if it carried to 71. But 1972 was all integrated into one case.
Old January 21st, 2014, 07:56 PM

I must say this one is excellent in the looks department. However for 550 clams, I would have at least expected a USB or SD card reader like the other two big repro radio companies put in their much cheaper units. Of course only one of those two other companies thought to add in the very useful "random play" feature on the USB...
I will change out my radio when someone can mate an original looking radio with a good flash reader system.