General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Restoring: Original Paint or Other

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Restoring: Original Paint or Other

This is a general question to the community with regards to restoring a 1968-1972 Cutlass or 442.

Is it best to paint the car in the exact "as ordered" color scheme or would painting the car in a true Oldsmobile color scheme but, not the original retain the value or lower the value?

The reason I ask, I am looking at a couple of project cars and both are factory Saffron exterior. Not my choice of color. I would prefer either the orange or blue, period accurate colors.

Thanks
Sean
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Just my opinion...painting original color and type of finish (lacquer) is generally the most valuable to a knowledgeable collector.

If not that, second best would be original color, modern finish.

If neither of those - do what you want, a "factory" color if not original is not more valuable than any color you like.

Value aside, certain colors are easier to sell (resale red).

Steve
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
Just my opinion...painting original color and type of finish (lacquer) is generally the most valuable to a knowledgeable collector.

If not that, second best would be original color, modern finish.

If neither of those - do what you want, a "factory" color if not original is not more valuable than any color you like.

Value aside, certain colors are easier to sell (resale red).

Steve
Steve,

Great feedback. So having a car painted in a color different from what is on the cowl tag is not a determination of loss of value then?

Sean
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Originality matters most on rare/valuable cars. If it's a run-of-mill Cutlass S or a low option 442, paint it whatever color you like. I would stick with a factory color that was an allowable combo with the interior (interior can be changed too) for future resale purposes. Non-stock colors, especially real oddball ones, scare off many buyers but do whatever makes you happy.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:31 AM

I'd agree with the aboves, but throw in what the interior color is(if in good condition). IE, if green interior, I wouldn't go blues or reds.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:33 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thats a debate that will go on indefinitely. IMO do the color you like. Depending on the restoration the reduced value will be minimum. Cheap price to pay to make you smile each time you see/drive it. The 68 you see in my avatar was originally K code ocean turquoise poly with a white top and SS1s....yuk... now go fast, pull me over, resale red & black. Much better IMO.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Administrator

I'd do what ever makes you happy.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:36 AM

If it's just a run of the mill Cutlass and not a W-32 or 442 the color won't affect the value nearly as much. The more rare and collectible the car the more important that it's the original color. That said I would still stick with a factory color that was available that year even on a Cutlass. It just looks right.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
The 68 you see in my avatar was originally K code ocean turquoise poly with a white top and SS1s....yuk... now go fast, pull me over, resale red & black. Much better IMO.
That's funny because I would prefer the Turquoise with a white top myself. I just don't like bright red cars and yes I realize my car is bright red but I wish it wasn't.
Old January 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Even OCA and AACA do not deduct any judging points if the car is painted a year-appropriate factory color other than the one on the cowl tag. Frankly, painting a turd-brown car (for example) ANY other color will almost always increase it's value.
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Even OCA and AACA do not deduct any judging points if the car is painted a year-appropriate factory color other than the one on the cowl tag. Frankly, painting a turd-brown car (for example) ANY other color will almost always increase it's value.
Great point. That is my opinion as well.
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:14 PM

It probably wouldn't have chosen "Powder Blue" for my 69 Cutlass color but it kind of grew on me and I decided to use it in the re-paint. The original owner paid extra to get it. I added the OAI hood and rear spoiler from 1970 so staying original had very little to do with it. Holiday light blue and dark blue interior colors I think work with the powder. I went with the original color, but didn't feel compelled to do so.

I'm thinking that powder blue will look good with the contrast black striping. We'll see.
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:16 PM

Value all comes down to how many people want to buy your car. If you lose the Saffron paint, you'll lose some potential buyers. But For every purist buyer lost, I bet you'll pick up 3 new buyers who like blue or red better.

Of course, another consideration is the interior. Don't go creating some oddball color combination that no one's going to want.

You have to ask yourself how soon you expect to sell. I would think that if you plan to hold on to the car for 10 or more years, then the enjoyment of having it painted a color you love would outweigh any financial loss.
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:34 PM

On my W30 I went from Gallion Gold to Matador Red. I figured I am going to keep the car for a while and I would love to look at my car red than gold. As for resale, I think the red would sell better than original gold. But if you are building the car to enjoy and have fun then do what you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3327.jpg (92.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
20130924_191058.jpg (88.5 KB, 18 views)
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
This is a general question to the community with regards to restoring a 1968-1972 Cutlass or 442.

Is it best to paint the car in the exact "as ordered" color scheme or would painting the car in a true Oldsmobile color scheme but, not the original retain the value or lower the value?

The reason I ask, I am looking at a couple of project cars and both are factory Saffron exterior. Not my choice of color. I would prefer either the orange or blue, period accurate colors.

Thanks
Sean
I think orange would look fine with black or white interior and blue with blue or white. Just my opinion.
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Scott - your W30 looks great in BOTH colors.

Boilerz25 My car was originally code 14 (1972). I hated that color because it just doesn't 'pop'. I repainted the car in 78 Corvette silver back in 1986. Turned out great and it doesn't matter to me that the color doesn't match the cowl tag even though I usually like to keep everything pretty much stock. I love the look of the car, get tons of thumbs ups and it started it's life as a plain jane Cutlass S with very few options.