General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Restoring 68 442 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
nesretep1154

Restoring 68 442 Convertible

We have a 68 442 convertible we would like to restore and was wondering if anyone can tell us approximately what this costs. Has a 350 engine in it right now. Tried to attach a photo, hope it worked. New to this site and it seems to have alot of people willing to help with these cars. Thanks for that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-016S.JPG (59.0 KB, 19 views)
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by nesretep1154
We have a 68 442 convertible we would like to restore and was wondering if anyone can tell us approximately what this costs. Has a 350 engine in it right now. Tried to attach a photo, hope it worked. New to this site and it seems to have alot of people willing to help with these cars. Thanks for that.

Hi welcome to the forum I am pretty new here myself, but you'll love this place, the restoration will cost waaaaayyyyy to much, but I will give you a mere pittence to take that problem off your hands

just kidding, it seems an open ended question what do you mean by "restore" if it was a 68 442 I think it "should" have a 400 in it, this will be a cost if you want originality but it will not be numbers matching unless you find the old motor or document that it came with a 350? is it a real 442 or a clone? check vin/body tag been there done that got the cutlass LOL... I love the car, love the looks, but if your doing it for investment or fun it will give you an idea on how much you want to spend restore it.
a complete rotisserie resto could cost a small fortune... perhaps way way more then you will ever get out of it, but maybe the car has great personal meaning to you and would be worth it,

I think for the knowledgeable guys here to give you an answer you will need to give them some parameters

body work, yes/no?
rust yes/no
drivetrain?
suspension? interior?
top?

all this adds up, I know i am trying to restore my 69 and it is wayyyy more then i thought...
not much help, I know but I think the guys are going to need more info on exactly what you want to do...

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; April 9th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
nesretep1154

The quarter panels have some rust and the trunk. The hood and trunk lid have been done and are primered, but it took the guy 2 and half years to just get that much done, so we now have the car at home! Want to drive this car, so don't want a show car. It is a 442, but the motor was changed. The vin starts with 344. Have learned alot about this car from different sights. It sat in a guys back yard for years and my husband tried to buy it for alot of years. The guy got divorced and finally sold it to us. We had to have the front done because he had the big off set tires on it. We have done some underneath work. Are these a bear cat to try and do ourselves? If anybody knows where to get the quarter panels please let me know. Also do any body parts interchange with another year? We would like to do the body work, paint, interior and top. Thanks for the help.
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Check out the following website. Cutlasses and 442s are the EASIEST Oldsmobile to restore hands down. You just have to decide how much money you want to put into it.

http://www.yearone.com/