General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Software for Oldsmobiles...

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Arrrggggg

Software for Oldsmobiles...

Some of you on here know what I do, some don't, but I am a Sr. Software Engineer with a medical company. I am tasked with always staying up to date on technology and keeping our software up to latest greatest standards. We also make sure we have versions that can adapt to any of our clients wishes or needs. With the release of Visual Studio 12, I.E 10, Windows 8, .Net 4.5 I have alot of new toys to rock out with.

So this week we decided to move our software to HTML5/CC3 version and also a version based on MVC 4 and Razor. Currently I have versions built as Web App's, Silverlight 5 with in and out of Browser modes, WPF, and of course Windows Forms versions. Our software uses Visual and IR camera systems as well as some pretty sophisticated algorithms to detect deep tissue injury's and wound healing times using predictive modeling software. I can't just start on creating a conversion. We are an FDA approved company and we have to write up Concept, Model, Test, Lifecycle, Data and other various instruction sets and plans before we start any development of new or conversion software. This takes months at times so I always get tasked with creating whatever I want as test beds to demo proof of concepts for the bigwigs.

So the short of it is I am going to create a few new apps showing off HTML5/CSS3 as well as an app using MVC4 w/Razor engine using Telerik controls and a mobile app for windows store. What does this mean to non developers? Well simply put I need some ideas on what to build. If I am going to spend some time developing some software as test beds using latest technologies from Microsoft that normally get discarded when I am finished showing it off. I MAW do something that I can use both as an Oldsmobile enthusiast as well as my fellow Olds enthusiasts.

So if someone can think of something really cool, something needed, something that would benefit the community at a whole and not a single person let me know. I'm not interested in developing an application for an individual at this time. I am happy to develop, host and release it to the public for free. I also have a team of developers under me that will assist in development and testing. Just need an idea soon so we can begin developing it. Whatever we develop will be written on the fly, however it will be checked into a public TFS server, as well as use OOP, Linq, and Open Access ORM for the Entities. It will be written in C# utilizing ASync, Jquery etc where it can. If any other dev's want to get in on the fun after we get an idea of what to make.

What I develop is totally up to me with my job so I got to thinking today that maybe instead of the traditional "Hello World" app that shows off latest stuff why not make an app that the community can use.

Question is... What to make? I thought about a bad *** complete Oldsmobile registry that operates via web, client or mobile so we dont have several different specific versions like Wmachines, SX, etc. I could make it to allow register cars can transfers to new owners, add videos, images, searchable owner history, mods history all sorts of neat goodies.

I thought about a generalized "How to" Web, Client, Mobile app that allows searching, indexing, and a more "user friendly" based FAQ so we don't get the same guys asking all the time "How to do brake conversion" or "Hei Conversion whats needed?" etc. I know there are some ncie sites with al this wrote into them however I have yet to find one that searches, filters, lists mods, pricing, links to exact parts that updates automaticly, etc etc.

Skys the limit guys help me think of a cool idea and we shall make it happen. However, I can't stress this enough. It must be an idea that will benefit the good of the "OLDS" community. Not looking to make someone rich of mine and my teams time and work nor make an application that isnt meant for our cars or hobby. Any outside devs are more than welcome to contribute and have access to the TFS server.

If you have any questions or suggestions let me know. I will be glad to answer them as I can outside of my normal work hours and non car work hours HA-HA

Last edited by Creativeindy; September 6th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Trying to remember member

PM sent.
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by wmachine
PM sent.
I replied and as stated I would love to help out after I get this finished. My goal is to demonstrate a new project for my work so we can have a proof of concept of new technologies, controls, method development, data improvements, report showing usage and be virtually a speed demon. Now I guess I could build something for something existing because after all, after we demo it at work to show off controls, flow, speed, service, java, etc what I do with the platform is totally up to me. Whatever idea or project I build it will need to be a new, one off software platform supporting client, mobile and web variations to the client. It will need to be service based as I will be utilizing MVC and ORM. So thats what I was saying in my reply that I idealy need to have a new, one off project. After it's done it can be given to an existing organization at no cost free of charge.
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator

I would like to see an operating system for a robot that will perform all of my repairs and upgrades for me while I watch from the comfort of my recliner, and bring me cold beers.
Old September 6th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I would like to see an operating system for a robot that will perform all of my repairs and upgrades for me while I watch from the comfort of my recliner, and bring me cold beers.
Godamn right!! I'm right on that sir!
Old September 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Creativeindy

Market research shows that this is on the wish list of every hobbyist around the world!

Last edited by oldcutlass; September 6th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Arrrggggg

The real question is.....Will said robot stop repairs and upgrades to bring said beer? Or, will robot have a telescopic arm that will reach into the house to hand you said beer?

This my friend is the ongoing question that will continue to haunt mankind long after you and I are gone from this world.
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator

The real question is.....Will said robot stop repairs and upgrades to bring said beer? Or, will robot have a telescopic arm that will reach into the house to hand you said beer?

This my friend is the ongoing question that will continue to haunt mankind long after you and I are gone from this world.
Does it really matter?
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM

how about something that allows us to take an Oldsmobile 3D model and rotate it, change colors add options such as stripes, different wheels, OAI hoods... with daylight and night viewing options as well... When we are happy with result, export to avatar...
Just some thoughts.... ;-)
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Why don't you create a new OCA website
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM

What about that idea we talked about?
Scott
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Trying to remember member

Absolutely, positively, *not* me. I hope that never happens, but if it does, I hope I'm dead before it happens

Market research shows that this is on the wish list of every hobbyist around the world!
Obviously that market research is not correct.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
What about that idea we talked about?
Scott
Well that's already pretty well finished product that I was gonna hook you up with for what you need it for. I need something a little more deeper and involved to build. I will show ya what I have for ya next time I come over. I'll bring my laptop with me to let ya check it out
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
how about something that allows us to take an Oldsmobile 3D model and rotate it, change colors add options such as stripes, different wheels, OAI hoods... with daylight and night viewing options as well... When we are happy with result, export to avatar...
Just some thoughts.... ;-)
Getting past the BS robot talk and the OCA sarcasm, this is actually a plausible idea that is right up my alley. I will throw this on the board for the team to mull over tomorrow morning. Thanks

I was sent other great ideas VIA PM from serious members. Be cool if we could do a couple of the ideas sent. Hopefully we can get something set and make it happen. I figure if I am going to develop a test bed for new technologies why not put it to some good use
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM

What about a horsepower simulator? Something that would show how much horsepower your engine would make if you added this part or changed this other part. It would be a handy thing to have if for Oldsmobiles since Olds parts are much more expensive than Chevy.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
What about a horsepower simulator? Something that would show how much horsepower your engine would make if you added this part or changed this other part. It would be a handy thing to have if for Oldsmobiles since Olds parts are much more expensive than Chevy.
I know of something like this similar for some Import cars and a couple domestic cars. Not sure a port of this has been done for Oldsmobile's yet but It would be easy to do that. Some of the ones for Mitsu Evo's do estimated HP after mod's, wheel speed, rpm, mph, gear ratios and parts look ups just to name a few things it does.

Still be interested in incorporating this as a smaller feature ad on to a more complex or larger platform.
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM

An application that could be universally used would be a program that would have all of the production codes available to it for "modern" era Oldsmobiles. In other words something that could decipher the build codes that many ask about. I have a too-new-for-my-use code book that I can very well allow to be download or copied. I forget what years it covers, but I believe it goes back to the late 70's for some codes. My old book got stolen by a former employee a long time ago. They were always hard to find and now are extinct. But I think more than a few guys have them here on CO.
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:10 AM

This idea is not Olds related in any way, but I was musing about it on a bike ride this morning and remembered this post.

I would like to see an app that would accept input related to room dimensions, windows, doors, vents, pitch of ceiling, north/south orientation of house, prevailing wind currents, etc., and produce output showing air flow characteristics of rooms/houses.

What would happen if a ceiling fan were installed in the center of the room? In a corner of the room? In a window? How would efficiency be affected if a furnace vent or AC vent were moved? What would the cost savings be, and how would comfort levels change?

Output would be both visual and textual.

This came about because we heat our house with a radiant wood stove in the basement, situated against the (short) north wall. The first winter was pleasantly toasty due to the fact that the basement was unfinished - nothing but a layer of plywood and some vinyl tiles for the heat to penetrate. Later, after we finished (most of) the basement, heat upstairs dropped significantly. We then removed the enclosure around the basement steps, put a rail around the area, and cut windows into the center wall of the basement. Heat distribution rose dramatically.

Summers are a different issue; we don't have central AC, and temps hover around 90-100 for two or three months of the year. We do have a large wall unit, but air flow from the room it is in to the living room is poor. We can't put in a central ceiling fan, because we use that room for watching movies via a ceiling mount projector and pull-down screen. Opening windows in the living room doesn't really improve air flow much, since there is no good path for circulation; it may be cooler outside in the evening, but without circulation the dead air inside just sits there.

So I started thinking about what could be done, and I really wanted a simulator - just like the old wind tunnels for car design, which are now simulated on computer. Designs go through multiple changes due to computer simulated air flow characteristics long before anything is built as a prototype. Why not the same thing with homes? And it should be a web app, because nobody would ever spend money buying such a one-trick pony as a piece of standalone software.

As I said, it's not Olds related. But unless you've got enough money to have an architect design your dream house, basically what you live in is a box with internal compartments which you attempt to jury-rig to be as comfortable as possible given the (lack of) real design. Buy a fan, stick it in the corner, see what happens. Move it, see what happens. Close drapes in the morning to block the sun, open them in the evening to get air (I'm thinking of my mother here, who lives fifty miles away and can't bend well enough to open the window itself.) Give up, spend money you don't have to install central air, and then pay for the added electricity.

A lot of people could benefit from such an app, if it were out there.

I haven't even looked for such a beast yet, just wanted to get this down in words to help the idea jell. If I actually turn something up, I'll update.

Last edited by Erinyes; September 9th, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Expansion
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM

I wonder if an app could be made for Oldsmobiles to show upgrades that affect gas mileage. Like changing gears/trannys/intakes/exhaust... Weight differences. Maybe this could be added alongside the horsepower calculator.
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

How about an interchangeability app?

Most common questions on here are "Will this window regulator fit my car"? - obviously, window regulator is an example, but you get the point...