General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Okay so WHERE do you find em?

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Okay so WHERE do you find em?

After careful consideration of the replies I had about the 4 dr Cutlass I have renewed my search for the piece of American automotive history. But I'm afraid that MD has little to offer within state.

So where do you find a variety of 'muscle cars' that need attention? I can't afford, nor would I buy if I could, a finished car. My son won't learn crap owning one of those. But learning to build one, building it and then maintaining it. Those are the lessons he needs.

Thank you
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Check with me from time to time & let us know what your looking for,We specialize in locating project cars. larry@vintageozarks.com
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Top 3

Restoration projects can get expensive. So start with the best car you can afford. You'll be money ahead.

Had to throw that warning out. But it's true. Also, if you consider a car that will need body parts I'd stick with a popular model. Cutlass doors, fenders & bumpers are a whole lot easier to find than 88 parts. I've looked for over a year now for a right front fender for my 66' 88. I did find one, $600 plus a crating fee, plus about 500 miles of shipping. I passed.

OK, the warnings are over. The top three place I look for project cars are:

craigslist (www.craigslist.com) Navigate to your local craigslist and search under Cars/Trucks and Auto Parts. Search by year, Olds, Oldsmobile or ??? I've bought a 1969 442 and a 67 Cutlass Supreme from craigslist sellers. You might also try a "Want to Buy" ad. Hey, it's free, who knows?

Ebay - I know a lot of people hate Ebay, but you can find deals there. Stick with sellers with at least 25 on their feedback rating, then make sure they have 95% or better Positive rating. I bought the 66' Jetstar 88 I mentioned above from an Ebay auction. And drove it home 170+ miles. It's under 100000 miles and i paid around $650.00 for it. I also bought a 54 Chevy pickup from Ebay.

Local auto auctions - I bought my 70' Chevy 3/4 ton pickup from a local auction. Same owner since 1978 had donated it. I drove it home, barely, for around $650. I also bought a 57' Chrysler Windsor from the same auction. Plus several parts vehicles. (good source for motors, trans. & misc.)

That's my top three. I have the best luck with craigslist. But there are a lot of decent project cars here. If you are looking at shipping something from out-of-state I think I'd stick with Ebay. Some people recommend an independent appraisal from a classic car appraiser. It might be a good idea.

Good luck with your project quest. Don
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Also you can try;

1. Local auto trader magazines. They're usually free

2. Spend the day with your son, and drive around (city, county, state, whatever, and LOOK. And don't be afraid to knock on someones door, just because there isnt' a "for sale" sign on a car that seems to have been sitting for a while, doesnt' mean they wont' sell it.

3. Stop by some "old fogey bars" (the ones that open at 6 or 7 AM)
(but do this early in the day). And just talk to folks there, they always know a lot about local history, including where old cars are.

I've sure had some good luck with #'s 2&3

Wishing you the same, Jeff
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:14 AM
car nut farmer

I'll second what those guys said. Get a wanted post on some of the automotive forums, not just Olds. A lot of guys own different breads of cars or know of someone who owns a cutlass.

Also, have patience.

Last edited by 71rocket; January 10th, 2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Check out the following websites. I find older Oldsmobiles on them all the time. If you find a deal within 250 or 300 miles I would at least go look at it.

http://www.autotrader.com/
http://www.cars.com/go/index.jsp
http://classiccar.com/
http://www.hemmings.com/
http://www.oldcartrader.com/
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM

I was browsing thru the Baltimore Craigslist and there are quite a few old car projects out there, some going for a decent amount. You may have to expand your selection as far as makes and years, not just Oldsmobile. I would suggest though is to go with a more popular model from Ford Or GM as parts are a bit easier to find. I myself tend to like the more unusual model cars, ones that you don't see at the car shows, but after being in this hobby for twenty years now I can tell you nothing is more frustrating than having a car that sits for months while you try to find that part made from unobtainium, or have a car that's missing a bit of trim so it never looks finished.
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM

expand your selection as far as makes and years, not just Oldsmobile
BLASPHEMY! Burn him, Burn him!
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM

if you happen to see anything parked on the side of someones house dont hesitate to ask, remember the worst thing they can say is "no, get off my land" thats about it. Thats how i got my 69 cutty.
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
car nut farmer

I myself tend to like the more unusual model cars, ones that you don't see at the car shows
How's this for unusual:
Attached Images
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 71rocket
How's this for unusual:
looks like a 63 Dodge Dart Way cool !
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
BLASPHEMY! Burn him, Burn him!
< puts on fire proof suit> I say this only as a first time restoration project for the father and son team. My dad wanted nothing to do with old cars. My first restoration was a 1965 Volvo 1800S. This was back in 1988, talk about a car that parts were hard to find!
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM

I have been using several of the sites that have been mentioned. As a matter of fact I found a 67 Mercury Capri that after the owner sent me pictures looks like it could be worth the 2.5K they are asking. But it also has some bad body work that is coming apart now, seems the bondo'd over rust adn now it's rusting it all off. The current owner already replaced the floor pans and other than that she's pretty cherry. Original interior and 289 with 145K on it.

I have pictures of the damaged area if anyone wants me to send it to them and give me an opinion.

FS
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Unusual Cars

Hey Modern, if you got the room down there in Sacto you ought to check out the market up here in Southern Oregon. One wrecking yard has crushed a couple dozen Packards in the last few months. The county is cracking down on people with "collections" and one field had about 50 vintage cars, 1930-50's and they all went to the crusher

Man! If I only had 20 acres in the country with a huge barn I'd be building my retirement fund right now John
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:38 AM

FS, I was just pulling your leg earlier. Actually, since you two want a relatively easy project I would suggest sticking to the Cutlass body style. Chevy, Ford, and Dodge have alot to offer too. I remember for a few months about a year ago I was wrestling with the idea of trading my 64 98 for a 66 Chrysler 300. It was a pretty car.
Old January 11th, 2008, 05:23 AM
car nut farmer

'66 dart.
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hey Modern, if you got the room down there in Sacto you ought to check out the market up here in Southern Oregon. One wrecking yard has crushed a couple dozen Packards in the last few months. The county is cracking down on people with "collections" and one field had about 50 vintage cars, 1930-50's and they all went to the crusher

Man! If I only had 20 acres in the country with a huge barn I'd be building my retirement fund right now John

Heh, I do live on an acre, but it's not mine, my wifes uncle owns it. I should take pictures of the collections of yard art that resides here and other properties that he owns. It would make you cry seeing these cars rot away. He has all of these cars that he will not sell because he's going to restore them some day, and you know that day will never come. He has never married nor has any kids. None of my brothers in law are really into the old car hobby, so we figure when he goes there will be a big auction like you see advertised in Hemmings. I of course will keep the good stuff !
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Stake out funeral homes. You're bound to find some widows or widowers who need to unload a cool vehicle. (I'm just kidding).

This thread has provided me some valuable insight as well. The 'classics' that I've managed to get were from families of friends that were selling...one was in VA, one was in MD.

I notice projects here and there are Craig's list from time to time. You may have to travel an hour or two, but PA tends to have these kinds of cars semi-regularly.

Where in MD are you from? I could use some lessons in restoration as well. hehe.

Russ
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Red69CutlassS

I found my 69' Cutlass S on dealsonwheels.com. It has cars from all over the country and I got my car for about $3500 but I ahd to drive about 10 hours to get it. It has been my project car for about 3 years while I was in high school and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
New 4-4-2 Owner

saw this post and had to reply. Here's my 2 cents worth on this subject. I spent nearly 3 years looking for a 66 or 67 4-4-2. I wanted a 4 speed car. I lucked out and found one on E-bay last summer, and was able to negotiate a tidy sum off the asking price and hammer home a fair deal for what the car is. Ok, enough rambling about that.

As far as sheet metal goes a word of caution. For Early Cutlasses/442's, sheet metal is hard to find, especially straight and rust free fenders, quarters, doors and hoods. NO ONE makes reproduction front fenders or full rear quarters. So, ambling through salvage yards ( I live a mere 2 miles from a great yard with several olds from 64 - 74) is your alternative. Keep this in mind when selecting a project. 68 - 72 Cutlasses have more options available for replacement sheet metal at reasonable prices. Just my own humble opinion.

In regards to sources to find a car, all of the above mentioned sources are good. I'd like to add a couple more. Here goes.

1. Join your state's local Oldsmobile ( or other make) Car Club. I did and it's been a great experience and has been a great help in finding parts, trim, services etc.. Also, Join the National Olds Club of America. For the $$ of membership you also get a monthly issue of Journey with Olds which has listings for cars and parts for sale! Something to consider.

2. Try http://www.musclecarprojects.com/ - This has a little bit of everything "muscle". Some cars are in better shape than others, but the prices are right. Great sources for Western States project cars. If you don't see what you're looking for, then you can also submit to the owner/locator to help search for a certain car you're after.

Hope this helps. I know the frustration of looking for a car, and waiting and waiting and waiting. Good luck in your search.

desert442.