General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1971 cutlass supreme convertible

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM

1971 cutlass supreme convertible

i just bought 1 1971 cutlass supreme. the body has a few rust spots and it has a 350 engine. my question i have is how much is it going to cost me to rebuild the engine , get the interior done and panit the whole car. i will upload pics later and if anyone knows a good restoration shop in long island ny. This will be my first project, excited but at the same time scared, cos i only have 10,000 to this this project
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by nyusmarines
i just bought 1 1971 cutlass supreme. the body has a few rust spots and it has a 350 engine. my question i have is how much is it going to cost me to rebuild the engine , get the interior done and panit the whole car. i will upload pics later and if anyone knows a good restoration shop in long island ny. This will be my first project, excited but at the same time scared, cos i only have 10,000 to this this project

If you can do a lot yourself then you'll save a ton. If it's all farmed out it depends on what and how you want it. If it's for cruising and you want a decent job, $10k will go a long way (depending on what you are starting with). If it's going to be a show car....you'll need much more than what you've got because the paint job alone with be in the area of $10K. Good luck.
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:28 AM

I live on Long Island too and before I started my resto I went to almost every resto shop on LI. Thera are about 5 big shops and a several smaller ones. I found that the smaller shops were slightly less expensive but will take longer. If you want the names of any shops let me know. Unfortunately from my experience an engine rebuild, a new interior and piant with some rust repair will probably be closer to 20k.
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM

What is sad is that you can buy Oldsmobiles for 10,000 that the seller has sunk alot more then that in to their car!
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:34 AM

I live in upstate NY near Albany and it is cheaper up here. Might be worth sending your car out for paint to a rural area versus LI. My Paint was around $6K for a very good higher end job by a guy that does a lot of old cars in addition to collision work (not a Maaco quality). Also, I did all my own interior, seat covering, etc. However, even if you don't want to tackle covering the seats, take them out yourself and bring them somewhere to be recovered. Put the new carpet in your self and put the seats back in your self to save money. Taking the car to an upholstery shop and saying "re-do it" is going to be very expensive. There is a lot of stuff to be removed and replaced that is easy but takes time (and they would charge $50/hr or whatever), so do the easy stuff on your (free) labor. i.e. removing sill plates, unbolting seats/console/seat belts, removing interior trim, brackets, etc.

Same thing with engine, if you are handy. Have a machine shop rebuild it, but install it your self as there is a lot of easy labor to be saved on installing the hoses, wiring, plugs, carb, PS Pump and other components and brackets, etc.
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Does the engine need a rebuild due to a significant problem or are you just making the assumption that you need to do it as part of a project? If not, save a ton of $$ and don't mess with the engine for now and focus on the cosmetics. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck by having a nice looking car with a good running stock 350. My '70 SX455 has 140K+ miles on it and has never been apart and it runs beautifully. You can change the timing chain, numerous gaskets, plug wires/points, etc. yourself for the price of the parts (under $500) and be good to go for years.
Terry
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:45 AM

i am not real handy with tools, the only tool i know how to use is my rifle sad but true. any shop recommendation will be great. i will try taking out the seats and changing the carpets my self . Also how can u tell if the engine does not need to be rebuilt?
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:52 AM

the project is just for crusing and i am spending my hard earned Afghanistan money so please pray for me
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Registered

I thank you for your service, and I'll make sure to put in a good word in to the big guy when we're talking too.

Need pics and a more detailed condition report to really figure this out.
I did my Vista Cruiser for less than ten grand but I did most of the work myself.
It's possible, the bodywork and the paint will be the major determining factor, you can work around other stuff.
How do you know the engine does need to be rebuilt?
How's the top?
The suspension need rebuilt?
Interior just need the seats recovered and carpeting?
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thank you for your service to your country. You are spending some very hard earned dollars.

The Olds 350 is a very tough engine. If you engine is not smoking and/or making strange noises, it is probably okay. A little smoke on startup is not unusual after they have some miles on them. It is a sign of valve stem seals being worn. Not a big problem in my opinion. Find yourself a reputable mechanic that understands old cars and have him check it out. A compression check will tell you a lot. I would suggest a good tuneup first.

You can do a lot of the stuff for a paint job yourself. You can remove bumpers and trim yourself. Talk to several shops and get references. There are too many nightmares about cars staying in shops for prolonged periods and then the shop wanting extra money. Be sure they understand what you want. Look at some of the cars they have done. There are too many con men out there. There are a number of companies that supple parts for your car. Fusick's is probably the largest and a good company to do business with. There a number of others but this is the only one I have done business with. That is a fun car you have and really easy to maintain. I hope you enjoy it. You deserve it.
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Not sure where on LI you live but I live in Levittown and Im restoring a 69 442 Conv. Im working on the interior right now. Your welcome to stop by and take a look. Maybe I can offer some helpful advice.
Thanks for serving our country,
Rob

Last edited by Beob; February 13th, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I can't add any estimates for you,

just wanted to say good luck with your project,when the time comes happy crusing to you and thank you for your service to our country.

Old February 14th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by Beob
Not sure where on LI you live but I live in Levittown and Im restoring a 69 442 Conv. Im working on the interior right now. Your welcome to stop by and take a look. Maybe I can offer some helpful advice.
Thanks for serving our country,
Rob
This is what I was going to suggest. BEFORE you go out and spend any money, spend some time networking - car shows, swap meets, etc. Make yourself some Oldsmobile buddies. Most Olds guys are heavy drinkers (jk ) so sometimes you can entice them to help you on a project simply by offering beer!! Seriously, though, if you can make some Olds buddies in your area this should help you out a lot, not just cause they can physically help with stuff, but because they can often recommend shops that can do good work too.

I would also recommend that you pick up a Chassis Service Manual and Assembly manual for your car. They're cheap and chock full of information. Even if you don't do the work yourself, these books can help you understand how things work.

Good luck, post some pics, and let me add my sincere thanks and appreciation for your service to our country!!

Last edited by kpl70sx; February 14th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM

maybe dropping hints about being good with a rifle, and also having a temper, will get you a much better price