General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

can i have a bumper straightened without having to rechrome

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM

can i have a bumper straightened without having to rechrome

the back bumper on our 72 cutlass has great chrome but it is bent. i would not think it is possible but could it be straightened without scratching it up. i don't know who even does this work. if i have to rechrome it i figure i will just get a reproduction bumper.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I doubt it can and if at all possible it would depend on how bad the dent is. Look for bumper or chrome shops in your area. I am sure that are not as many bumper shops as there used to be when all cars had chrome bumpers. Somebody will probably chime in. I have never tried this. You might find a good used one. I would rather have that than a repro. I doubt the chrome is as good on the repro.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
the back bumper on our 72 cutlass has great chrome but it is bent. i would not think it is possible but could it be straightened without scratching it up. i don't know who even does this work. if i have to rechrome it i figure i will just get a reproduction bumper.
Great question! I guess it might depend on where the bend is. If you take it to a chrome shop, they can probably let you know if they and straighten it without having to strip and re-chrome.

My gut says it's not gonna happen. I think that in the process of straighening, the chrome layers will detach or chemically unbond enough that in the near future the chrome will flake off.

Can you post a pic of the bumper? If it's got a significant dent, it will probably require re-chrome. Too bad they can't fix chrome like a painter can feather in paint....
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I would also guess it will need a rechrome after being worked back into shape.
I read an article about a rechrome shop not long ago.It sounded like they totally strip the bumper to metal,then weld,grind and they have some sort of jig or mold they fit them to,to achive perfect straightness. Then the rechrome process starts.

good luck
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:20 AM

thanks, that is what i figure. i found a good rust free cutout bumper locally that is not bent. if i re chrome i may grab that one and have it done and not mess with this bent one. if i spend the money why not do it with a cutout bumper.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM

I priced around for re chroming my '73 rear bumper as it has two bad spots. Between $800 and $1200. I'm living with the bad spoats until I win the lottery!
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:10 AM

I have taken out bends (not invisibly/completely) by laying the bumper on the lawn and driving the dent with a piece of soft wood of a suitable size to match the damage...a rubber mallet might work also...because we live in a swamp my lawn is soft and cushy If your lawn is hard or covered in stone as Az, then use a piece of closed cell foam...