General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I'm not feel well, i just joined a Chevy forum

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I'm not feel well, i just joined a Chevy forum

i was looking for advice on the truck i just got and i thought they would be helpfull. maybe it is because i am new there but i sure don't think i fit in there. i want stock size tires on my truck and quiet exhaust. i don't think there are many on there like that.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:51 PM

IS THERE A DOCTOR ON THE FORUM?????
HURRY!

I'll get the Everclear, caster oil, and the big wooden mallet!!!
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh dear........ you might need the big sledge hammer too, and an exorcist!!!
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM

I to am a member of a Chevy site. Team Chevelle, I have a 71 BB Elco, thats my daily driver. There are guys on this site that know and like Olds also.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM

this old dog is as stock as the day I bought it 25 years ago

091908001.jpg

did you acquire the infor you were seeking?
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM

I've got 2 wheel drive wheels patterned like the ones on Blk71SX. I have both 15X7 and 15X8 if that would help. John
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Blk71SX

did you acquire the infor you were seeking?
not really. i got a 2002 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1/ Allison. the guy i got it from just put on 285 75 16 tires that don't have 1000 miles on them yet. my speedo and odometer is off and i heard that it can be reprogrammed for the bigger tires but GM said that it can't be done. i figured that they would know something but i just get "it can't be off that much" and "it will be fine". well i don't like it. i think i am going to try to sell them and get the original size tires and not worry about getting it reprogrammed. fro every 15 miles i go it will read 14 and it is 6MPH off.
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i was looking for advice on the truck i just got and i thought they would be helpfull. maybe it is because i am new there but i sure don't think i fit in there. i want stock size tires on my truck and quiet exhaust. i don't think there are many on there like that.
Give it a little time. It's always a little awkward when you first join something. Check out their members listing and see if there are any others from this site who can help ease the pain.

I would think that a tire shop and muffler store would be able to help you with your search. Doesn't the owners manual for the truck tell you what the stock tire size is? Somewhere in the maintenance section?

A truck with a quiet exhaust? You think like I do. Probably for different reasons though.
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM

I am a Team Chevelle member too - 1968 Chevelle Malibu owner; it is a good site, too
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

What's the name of the Chevy forum you joined?
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Name of site x2

I feel your pain. I've joined up with a few forums. First you feel like an outsider, but then you learn to shoot jokes back at people and the general style of things. It's all pretty much the same forum-to-forum.

BTW, shouldn't feel too much of an outsider, seems how Oldsmobile is in the same family as Chevy.

--Ryan
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Team Chevelle has been very helpful with BBC engine issues I had. They seem to be a nice group of guys.
I got a 65 Biscayne next to my Olds.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM

it appears your truck came with 245-75-16, 30.3" dia. 285s are 32.8" dia. no wonder your speedo is off
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
not really. i got a 2002 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1/ Allison. the guy i got it from just put on 285 75 16 tires that don't have 1000 miles on them yet. my speedo and odometer is off and i heard that it can be reprogrammed for the bigger tires but GM said that it can't be done. i figured that they would know something but i just get "it can't be off that much" and "it will be fine". well i don't like it. i think i am going to try to sell them and get the original size tires and not worry about getting it reprogrammed. fro every 15 miles i go it will read 14 and it is 6MPH off.
Ask the highway patrol who calibrates their cars ...
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
Oldsmobile is in the same family as Chevy.

--Ryan
Hm. Oldsmobile itself always considered it had more in common with Pontiac than with Chevrolet and Buick.

Unless you're talking about Oldsmobiles built since 1991- after that you couldn't consider any of them "true" Oldsmobiles, and only the Quad4 cars could even then.

What has always amazed me is that as long as GM had its separate autonomous Divisions, the Divisions and the parent did well. Then when they all became badge-engineered and brand-managed Chevrolets with majority Chevrolet engines, everything fell apart.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:54 AM
car nut farmer

"What has always amazed me is that as long as GM had its separate autonomous Divisions, the Divisions and the parent did well. Then when they all became badge-engineered and brand-managed Chevrolets with majority Chevrolet engines, everything fell apart."

Allowed bad ideas to spread like a virus.
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM

I confess

I am a rare visiting memeber to a Chevy truck forum and I have yet to find a 16 1/2 beauty ring for my 2500
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Past Administrator

It is not a sin. A certain high profile member here is a also a member of a Mazda site, I think he admitted to it publicly a year ago or so. At any rate, you will get better, just spend some recuperation time here...
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
I do admit, some Chevys do have some class and good looks, including that '85 truck. In fact that was my favorite truck body style up until the 2006 (?) Silverado and that one did not last as long as it should have...
The Camaros, MCs, Chevelles, and big vans are still attractive to me, just getting harder to come by as time goes on.

My initial comments are of course all in fun, unless one is trying to rice up an aveo (or whatever those silly little things are called)...
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM

It is not a sin.
The heck it isn't! I'm thinking like Cutlassgal

Oh dear........ you might need the big sledge hammer too, and an exorcist!!!
We need an exorcist!

The power of Olds compels you! The power of Olds compels you!
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....The power of Olds compels you! The power of Olds compels you!

LOL!
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Banks power tuner makes one for this truck, but for the gas engine the one they have doesn't do much you can adjust your air and fuel and scan codes and that about it.
I don't think their is anything wrong with joining a Chevy forum.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Registered

I've been a member at Team Chebelle for years, V8Buhog too.

I hate be the bearer of bad tidings and I know it may be hard to swallow and come as a shock and surprise to some but the cars are more alike than they are different.
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM

I belong to a Chevy site (VCCA) as well. Because of my 1926 Chevrolet pickup. Always need some sort of advice when you own something this old.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog
Always need some sort of advice when you own something this old.
I agree. I am also a member of a Ford site and an antique radio site but I do not frequent there that much...
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM

What Ford site, might I ask? I've been looking for a decent one for the 78 Thunderbird....

Heh, well I've had many cars in my past, and a few of them had dedicated forums I joined. Like the Datsun 280ZX, or the Mercury Capri.

I'm going to go hide now.

--Ryan
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM

What Ford site, might I ask? I've been looking for a decent one for the 78 Thunderbird....
http://www.fordpinto.com
That will certainly not help you with a T-Bird though...

One of my mom's old SO's had a '78 T-bird that was VERY nice - so big and comfy. I remember sleeping in the back seat of that car on long trips, all stretched out, too! That was when i was 14 though. he had that car a long time and used it to pull the boat, too. Had a 351W I think.

a few of them had dedicated forums I joined. Like the Datsun 280ZX, or the Mercury Capri.
Close enough to a Pinto...
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Give it a little time. It's always a little awkward when you first join something. Check out their members listing and see if there are any others from this site who can help ease the pain.

I would think that a tire shop and muffler store would be able to help you with your search. Doesn't the owners manual for the truck tell you what the stock tire size is? Somewhere in the maintenance section?

A truck with a quiet exhaust? You think like I do. Probably for different reasons though.
i would rather keep the tires that are on it because they are new and already there. i just can't find out how to reprogram it for the bigger tires. after looking on the Allison web site i think i may just sell them if i can. Allison said that bigger tires will adversely affect the transmission. it changes the shift points and on the highway may not shift the torque converter into lockup
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
The heck it isn't! I'm thinking like Cutlassgal

We need an exorcist!

The power of Olds compels you! The power of Olds compels you!
if Oldsmobile had a truck newer than the 20s i would not have to worry about it. well maybe i would, by 2002 it would have ben a chevy with an olds badge on it.
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
http://www.fordpinto.com
That will certainly not help you with a T-Bird though...

One of my mom's old SO's had a '78 T-bird that was VERY nice - so big and comfy. I remember sleeping in the back seat of that car on long trips, all stretched out, too! That was when i was 14 though. he had that car a long time and used it to pull the boat, too. Had a 351W I think.

Close enough to a Pinto...
Heh, I'm on the Pinto site, too. Under the same user name. At one point in time, I was in the process of buying a 1980 Pinto. I got the cash and he backed out, deciding he wanted to keep it for himself.

I tell you what, the Thunderbird sure is roomy. Backseat is big as a couch, comfortable as one too. Mines got the 351M, about 10 more HP, IIRC.

--Ryan
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Heh, I'm on the Pinto site, too.
I would almost say that you are puttin' me on, but I do not think anyone would lie about this....
Only reasons i have mine is that it has been in the family since new and is extremely reliable. Some pictures and a photo story can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelone...7603769350277/

the Thunderbird sure is roomy. Backseat is big as a couch, comfortable as one too. Mines got the 351M, about 10 more HP, IIRC.
I sure like those T-birds - post up a picture of yours inside and out to take me back down memory lane! I sure miss that car - it was classy looking, as well as roomy.
I heard of the Cleaveland and Windsor but what is the "M"?

I tell you what...
Are you from TX also? That's a whole phrase down here!
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Not FROM Texas, but I've lived here for about 5 years of my life. Also spent a good portion in WV, but born in Michigan.

That Pinto is a very nice example. I'm really shooting for a 1980 Pinto Pony automatic (I'd prefer manual, but the fiance cant drive manual, and she aint driving the Thunderbird), but I'm really digging the older style front end lately. There's a 1980 here for $750, but I'm not to that point quite yet.

The 351M is a modified version of the Cleveland, and is almost a whole different engine, mostly non-adjustable. The engines available with the 78 were the 302(CA cars, base engine, 134HP), 351W(144HP), 351M(152HP), and the 400M(166HP).

Below, find links to assorted pictures of the Thunderbird. I really love her, great car. I'd rather have the Town Landau, or Diamond Jubilee, for all the options, but the base model is good too. It does have a few options, such as cruise control. I'll likely just keep this one though. For a secondary vehicle, I'm debating between a 1972 Cutlass 4-door(maybe 2-door), or a Pinto of sorts(preferably the coupe, but maybe wagon).

Front
Back
Inside Front
Inside Both
Album

I've been meaning to take better pics of the interior and trunk, just haven't gotten to it yet. Feel free to browse the other cars.

--Ryan
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Captain of my ship

My parents were Ford people and at 13 I learned to drive a 68 LTD Country Squire Wagon (dad's) and later a 4 speed pinto runabout? Mom later had a pinto wagon also a 4 speed , dad went into f150's from that point on.
The shop where we take our bucket trucks to get fixed has an old pinto with a 302 stuck in it. It's been there for a while though my foreman wanted to buy it except for the price the guy wanted for it.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Heh, I'm on the Pinto site, too. --Ryan
When the site crashes.....................does it catch fire?
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:16 AM

I'm just a Chevy guy with an interest in 1 Olds style

Newer Team Chevelle member for the main purpose of A-bodies trans options with alot more information available over there.

Also a veteran member of Nastyz28 because I have a Pro-touring 78 Z28.

Old January 8th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Cutlass Lover

Sweet.....
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I sure like those T-birds - post up a picture of yours inside and out to take me back down memory lane! I sure miss that car - it was classy looking, as well as roomy.
I heard of the Cleaveland and Windsor but what is the "M"?
Finally got around to taking some pics of the car.

Custom Cruiser and Tbird
Front seat
Back seat
Custom Cruiser and Tbird-2

Enjoy

--Ryan
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM

w-30 el camino

i have a 72 el camino with a real 70 w-30 455 under the hood.real fun to drive and i love the first reactions i get when i open the hood
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:21 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by fizzy55
i have a 72 el camino with a real 70 w-30 455 under the hood.real fun to drive and i love the first reactions i get when i open the hood
Now this is a first for me,it's usually the other way around,people putting a chevy in an olds.It's about time someone turned the tables

would love to see pics

BTW...I belong to the 9C1 forums,as I own a 89 caprice 9C1.