General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New Hemmings Classic Car Magazine

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM

New Hemmings Classic Car Magazine

New (August) issue came in the mail today and there is a great comparo on 3 70s wagons, 1 just happens to be like mine, the other a Country Squire, and a T&C. Might be an all wagon issue, I see also a Pinto Squire and a *****'s, have not gotten too far into it yet

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...agonstory1.pdf

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Trying to remember member

Just read thru it last night. Was fun reading about those rolling barns!
The Olds was the heaviest at 5002#!!!!
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:06 AM

I loved it, there were a few mistakes, and I do not have a Regency interior, but I am driving mine every day and loving it

Old June 17th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Come on postman - get my issue to me now!!!!

These look to be some good articles!
My next Olds will be a wagon...
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM

One of the Salvage yards here has a set of those Olds wheels like the ones on that wagon, I have been tempted to buy them for a while, Should I? they are complete and he wants $100 for the set!
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM

I wanna put a set of SSIIs on the 88 myself but it wouldn't be right. Would it?
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
I wanna put a set of SSIIs on the 88 myself but it wouldn't be right. Would it?
I don't know about a 88, but I love them on a Vista
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 193.jpg (50.5 KB, 19 views)
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM

I think they were never offered on the big bodies, but I miss them from my 74 Salon

Old June 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
I loved it, there were a few mistakes, and I do not have a Regency interior, but I am driving mine every day and loving it

Man that is one cool car. I'm glad there are people like you who keep the bigger 70's cars. It gives the rest of us (who grew up in the 70's) a good ride down Memory Lane.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by 44TEETWO
One of the Salvage yards here has a set of those Olds wheels like the ones on that wagon, I have been tempted to buy them for a while, Should I? they are complete and he wants $100 for the set!
Not really sure if they were weight rated for the Ninety Eight and FS wagon, but they sure do look nice on them. I've had a set on my Ninety Eight for years, and have accumulated a couple more nice sets just in case I get another 70s big car. I've always called them the Regency's dancing shoes...

They look enough like the 1964-65 cast aluminum bolt on covers that I wouldn't hesitate to put them on one of my Starfires should I ever decide I need a 15" tire.

For a Ben, if they're in decent shape, no cuts or gouges on the Polycast, and the bands aren't rashed up, that's a deal. If you have something to put them on anyway. They're 5x5 BP and don't fit the A-body car without adapters.

Unless you find a set of NOS Motor Wheel Corporation "Exiter" polycasts in GM 5x4-3/4 BP, and stick them on a 74 Hurst/Olds as I did Put an 80s FWD SSII center cap on with a 60s SSI decal and walla! instant "Hurst Experimental Wheel". Non Olds folks never know the difference.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 17th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Save the wheels

Originally Posted by 44TEETWO
Snap them up like a found 1000 dollar bill. Those are rare wheels. They are called SuperStock IV and saw very limited production. If you can get them for 100 bucks I'd be all over them.

These wheels have a poly coating on the honeycomb design and would need to be properly finished for a full resto. What would they be worth? I'd never sell them. I'd put them on a period Custom Cruiser, 98 or 88. Had a friend with a 71 Delta Royale Brougham. It had these wheels. He used to get offers for the wheels that were more than the car was worth. Dumb schuck totalled the car and let the insurance company keep everything. If you have a 70-72 B Body, go get those wheels before they get crushed. Even if you don't want to keep them, I'm sure someone here would LOVE to get ahold of them.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Snap them up like a found 1000 dollar bill. Those are rare wheels.
Even if you don't want to keep them, I'm sure someone here would LOVE to get ahold of them.
X2! That is a great deal for a set of non-steel wheels! You can easily get more when reselling and help an Olds buff out at the same time!
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys! I have been laboring on buying them and now I am going to go and get them. They are sitting on a 68 caddy and have been in that yard for about a year!
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Captain of my ship

Talking Keep collecting

Keep going , soon you are going to have a cassic Olds showroom This is a good thing , love to see someone who can afford to retsore these old classics The only thing I can pipe in about those wagons is that my dad bought a brand new 1968 Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon back in 68 and we as a family of 5 then took it cross country from N.S. to Claresholm Alberta. The back seat would go forward and you could sleep the 3 kids and 1 adult there comfortably. In 68 it came with a 302 and had good power for the size of the car. Dad finally traded it in on a new F150 and it sold the same day they put it on the lot. saw it driving around for many more years (it was blue with the fake wood and stick on woodgrain)
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:34 AM

I owned that exact Country Squire back in '75 during the gas crunch. It was a 1973 9 passenger wagon, same gold color but it had the Lincoln 460 engine option. I can't imagine collecting these wagons today as this big barge could not get more than 6-7 MPG. On one trip to Hershey Pa from my home on Long Island, I filled the tank but it was necessary to stop for gas before we got there ! Not one of my better old car memories.
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:41 AM

I think 73 was the worst year in history, for gas mileage, maybe 74 was worse, but 75 was better and 76 better still. I am getting gas 2 times a week in the wagon. it is starting to hurt. thank goodness we just moved the office halfway closer to home so I drive 16 miles a day instead of 40
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by kcars
I owned that exact Country Squire back in '75 during the gas crunch. It was a 1973 9 passenger wagon, same gold color but it had the Lincoln 460 engine option. I can't imagine collecting these wagons today as this big barge could not get more than 6-7 MPG. On one trip to Hershey Pa from my home on Long Island, I filled the tank but it was necessary to stop for gas before we got there ! Not one of my better old car memories.
Wow, something was not right with that 460, or it had a trailer towing package with a 3.55:1 or 3:40:1 axle ratio. I Have two '76 Lincoln Mark IVs (just a hair under 6,000 lbs with 27 gals of fuel in their extended range tanks) and the worst of the two gets 11-12 in town and I have gotten as good as 22 on the highway with the cruise control on 70 with both.

Keeping our vintage car engines in near perfect adjustment will yield surprising results, sticking an HEI distributor in or at least a Pertronix Ignitor in the distributor and getting rid of points can be a huge help. Did wonders for the 394 in one of my '62 Starfires. Authenticity be hanged!
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:29 AM

believe it or not, 73 and 74 were way worse mileage than 75 and 76
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM

I took my '73 country Squire to the local Mercury dealer where I knew the service mgr (Hempstead L/M) to address the mileage problem. They removed the 4 bbl carb and checked everything and advised it was normal for this large car and this engine. It ran fine and the faster you drove it the happier this boat was. On that trip to Hershey (see above) I filled up the wagon at a Shell station which was a 1/4 mile from my house. The fuel filler in the left rear 1/4 pnl was a verticle pipe that went down to the tank. When I got home I opened the cap and you could no longer see the gas that was in this 2 foot pipe- I say LOL now, but I didn't then. Also this car started to rust on its 3rd year but I must admit it was never garaged. How come we are not talking Oldsmobiles ?.