General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wheeler Dealers is losing Edd China

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:12 PM
same but different

Wheeler Dealers is losing Edd China

When thinking of car shows I think of this one as one of my favorites. Well, Edd is leaving the show, and I'm sorry to hear it.

I try to enjoy car shows from time to time all things considered, I thought this one was the closest to being real.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/edd...-dumb-it-down/
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:27 PM

Sad to hear this. Ed really does know his stuff and is very good at explaining how and why he's doing what he's doing.

I will probably stop watching the show now.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:52 PM

ugh, he was the one guy that made a car show tolerable - actually discussing the car and the process rather then some hokey made up "its all about me" BS personality.

He also reminded me a bit of Stewart Copeland form the Police
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:59 PM

Ed did all the work, had all the knowledge and didn't get any of the credit. That's so typical.
I enjoyed his part of the show and was only mildly interested at how much they made. I also enjoyed the original Shade Tree Mechanic. Those shows were for hands on guys and weren't loaded up with bogus personalities and endless product pushing.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Wheeler Dealers is one of the few cable automotive shows that I enjoy, though even their "profit" accounting is total BS. They include the cost of the car, new parts, and any subcontracted labor only. If they really added in the cost of Edd's labor, overhead on the shop, cost of consumables like solvents and such, cost of insurance, cost to search out, purchase, and transport the car, and cost to sell it, they would show a dramatic loss on every one.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:22 PM
Olds Fever

One of the few automotive shows I could really wrap my head around... The details of mechanical involvement were attentive and to the point... Show will not be the same... My wife will be happy, less Velocity more Hallmark...
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:20 PM

I'm screwed, as I only watch Wheeler Dealers and sports! I suppose I can keep watching the past Wheeler's.

And I really want a vintage Shaftesbury Avenue sign for the garage!

Last edited by F-85 4-4-2; March 23rd, 2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:06 PM

I'm a fan of the early shows in England especially when they just started. Those shows were more about Edd and the refurbishing of cars. Edd is pretty crafty. Hopefully Edd can get his own show. He use to hold the Guinness speed record for the fastest sofa.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This will be another case of the corporate bean counters ruining a good show.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 09:04 PM

What a shame, he was the brains of the show. After reading of his decision on the link above, I'm guessing that Velocity will add an annoying guitar rift to ensure that we will not be able hear half of what is being said on the show as well as drowning out any engines that they are road testing, or just firing up in the garage like they do on most of their other programs involving cars.

Last edited by 1969w3155; March 23rd, 2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:40 PM

Wheeler Dealers is the only decent car show on velocity. velocity is slowly ruining it, and if Ed Leaves it will surely turn to crap. If that's velocity's way it won't last long.
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:15 AM

I always enjoyed the show - always watch the reruns - and especially the work Ed. I will likely not watch the new format. Another good show ruined in the effort to save a few bucks. What a shame.
Old March 24th, 2017, 07:17 AM

I have the DVR set to record all the shows. If he wants it, I hope Edd gets his own show.
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
Wheeler Dealers is the only decent car show on velocity. velocity is slowly ruining it, and if Ed Leaves it will surely turn to crap. If that's velocity's way it won't last long.

I actually enjoy Fantomworks too.

The owner sits down with the customer for an estimate, tells them they're going to spend way more than the car will ever be worth, and then gives them a bill at the end that's usually believable for the work that was done.
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by don71
When thinking of car shows I think of this one as one of my favorites. Well, Edd is leaving the show, and I'm sorry to hear it.

I try to enjoy car shows from time to time all things considered, I thought this one was the closest to being real.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/edd...-dumb-it-down/
AAaawwww man. The show is not going to be the same without Edd. He sure has a weird way of saying "aluminum".
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68

The owner sits down with the customer for an estimate, tells them they're going to spend way more than the car will ever be worth, and then gives them a bill at the end that's usually believable for the work that was done.
I think the guy on Fantomworks is a bit arrogant and all he does is talk. If I stopped in there for anything I think it would be the last time I did so.

Wheeler Dealers was good at showing how to do things and what was involved in doing it. I also liked when at the end of the show Mike and Ed would have a little fun ,Like when they went on a roadside picnic with their Bentley. Typically British Mr. Ed China I wish the best of luck, You will be missed!!!!
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68

I think the guy on Fantomworks is a bit arrogant and all he does is talk. If I stopped in there for anything I think it would be the last time I did so.

Wheeler Dealers was good at showing how to do things and what was involved in doing it. I also liked when at the end of the show Mike and Ed would have a little fun ,Like when they went on a roadside picnic with their Bentley. Typically British. Mr. Ed China I wish the best of luck, You will be missed!!!!
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Senior Moment Member

Phantomworks owner is former military. Air Force I believe. Could be a reason for his abrasiveness. Kindigit's show is really good too. I went on their site and the only car for sale was 160k.
Wheeler dealers bought a GTO in Chicago last season. They called on my buddy who had one with heater delete. The guy who came out to look at the car found all sorts of stuff that wasn't quite right with the car. Like the trunk floor had been replaced. It would have been cool to see his car on the show.
Old March 24th, 2017, 07:15 PM

While Ed is definitely the tech wizard of the Wheeler Dealers show, Mike is no slouch. They both have multiple businesses and it is the chemistry between them that makes the show work. I would not be the only one that would watch a show with just Ed, but my Wife enjoys the way Mike and Ed play off each other. Anything that gets the Mrs to watch a car show with me is awesome in my opinion. Much like Top Gear and Grand Tour, without the antics of the doofus Jeremy the show would be boring. Without the impression that Ed was pulling Mike's sorry butt out of a bad situation every show it would lose most of it's appeal.

I will miss Ed's easy going attitude and solid know-how. His outtakes are always hilarious! The show will obviously not be the same without him but I will give it a view with the new Wrench a time or two before I pass judgement against him.
Old March 25th, 2017, 03:49 AM

I am a victim of Edd's sayings and often refer to difficult tasks as 'A total Faff' lol
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
AAaawwww man. The show is not going to be the same without Edd. He sure has a weird way of saying "aluminum".
Hey Bloke, the correct term is al-u-minium!
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Hey Bloke, the correct term is al-u-minium!
Sorry, you're on the wrong side of the pond for that pronunciation. We colonists call it aluminum. Aluminium is the IUPAC spelling, not necessarily the American spelling.