General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

When did this happen

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2016, 06:07 PM

When did this happen

I can't see a dang thing smaller than a beach ball within two feet of my face, yet my 54-year old eyes can see distant object just fine. Juggling cheaters and safety glasses in the garage is the single most frustrating part of this age-induced malady. Finally - I found a great answer - safety cheaters! I ordered two pair of DeWalt 1.5x cheater safety glasses from Amazon and they arrived yesterday. They work really well, other than I have to train myself to tip my head back to bring the small magnifier patches into play. There are several other companies that make similar glasses. The really strange thing is that none of the big box or tool stores around here carry them. Seems like they'd sell well if they did, given the aging group of us project guys.

Old September 27th, 2016, 07:43 PM

I found out a while back that our Chem Lab at work has those along with regular safety glasses.
Old September 27th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Pretty cool product
Old September 27th, 2016, 07:57 PM

1.5 consider yourself lucky. Lost short distance about 15 years ago, lost long distance about 8 years ago. Long distance I can still see in focus, is light years away, like the North Star.
Old September 28th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I'm up to 2.75. Cheater safety glasses are a great idea. Thanks for the tip.
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:24 AM
71 cutlass convertible

going to find a pair for myself
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Oldsdruid

Those were the best thing they ever got us at work. My up-close vision is terrible; been wearing glasses for close work and reading for about 15 yrs now. It was always an adventure to have to go out in plant to research stuff because you were constantly swapping safety glasses and readers and hoping no one saw you without safety glasses. Then these came along and walla!

The tradeoff is trying to walk down stairs with them on, because the lens separation line is conveniently right at the point you're looking at when placing yer feet on the next step. I know I look ridiculous coming down stairs with them on...along with all the other guys of a certain age!
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:00 AM

Used to be able to see 3 inches from my nose. Now my arms aren't long enough. Found bifocal safety glasses some years back, but the health and safety jackasses here at work won't provide them. Or allow glasses they haven't provided. For them, I need to go get prescription safeties. Bugger that.
Old September 30th, 2016, 02:49 PM

I'm sure you all know that dim light makes the problem worse and bright light helps. But do you know why? It's not just that there's more photons for your retina to absorb. Rather, the bright light makes your pupils get smaller. A smaller aperture increases a lens' depth of field, allowing things both far and near to be in focus, even though your eyes normally can't focus that close. Conversely, when your pupils dilate in dim light the depth of field becomes very shallow, limiting your focus to only what your focusing muscles can do.

The bright light doesn't even have to be shining on what you're trying to read/see. Simply having lots of bright light in the room, in your field of vision -- even if it somewhat silhouettes what you're trying to read -- will make your pupils smaller and bring near things into focus. Give it a try.
Old September 30th, 2016, 04:01 PM

I used these for a few years before my current bi-focals. Found in a industrial supply store. I wish they had them in tri-focals. The older electricians had those, they have the near vision lens in the bottom and the top so you don't have to bend your neck when seeing close work above your head. Great for underdash work.
FYI, you can also find clear side shields made from silicone to add to glasses. They fold and are softer then the hard plastic ones.
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:44 PM

you can get cheaters for most welding hoods too..they snap in on the more modern hoods...i went to 3.0..the wire looks like the size of a pencil..i can see again, and dont have to deal with my glasses fogging etc..cheap too...
Old October 1st, 2016, 01:34 PM
72 Olds CS

I've worn glasses since the first grade. Now like most of you I can't see close up anymore when I have my glasses or contacts on. Amazingly w no glasses I can still see close up!!! So if I'm doing detail work or welding I don't wear my glasses ( where possible) other wise I wear contacts w cheaters( can't see as good as no glasses ) or glasses w cheaters (6 eyes) lol. I've got the safety cheaters but w the lens on the lower part it's sometimes hard to get the right angle w out twisting my neck uncomfortably.
Old October 1st, 2016, 01:48 PM

Oh, as far as when, for me the close work glasses needed started at 40. Last year it moved to full time as I could not pass a drivers vision test. Using welding helmet, face shield or full face respirator is a pain. Gettin old ain't for sissies.
Old October 1st, 2016, 06:08 PM

The add-ons for my welding helmet is a great idea! I have a pair of static stick on ones for my scuba mask that I could transfer over I bet but I would expect the ones that snap in are better. I wonder if they'd make my welds better
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:23 PM

Use 'em under the hoist too

[QUOTE= The older electricians had those, they have the near vision lens in the bottom and the top so you don't have to bend your neck when seeing close work above your head. Great for underdash work.

X2 on cheaters at top of lens as well as bottom. Cheaters on top work well when you're under a hoist and they actually work better under my welding helmet than cheaters on the bottom.
Jerry
Old October 2nd, 2016, 04:44 AM

Like most of us my close up vision started to go south in my early 40s. I work at Ford & they supply things like gloves,coveralls, arm sleeves & safety glasses for our jobs. They've had "old-man" safety glasses available for us for about 15 yrs now. Couldn't do my job without 'em!! I guess I'm somewhat fortunate in that I've been at a "2" for the last 14 yrs & so far holding steady but I'm sure that will change. The bi-focals do suck when you're doing things like underdash work so I just use regular cheaters. Sure is fun getting old!!!
Old October 2nd, 2016, 06:15 AM
72 Olds CS

Anyone have a good link or brand for the top and bottom diopter safety glasses? I looked around a little and the top and bottom ones aren't as easy to find as the bottom only versions
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:50 AM

The only ones I have seen with top and bottom lenses were prescription. Not saying they can't be had in regular safety glasses, and would like to find them also.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 03:10 PM

Try Grainger for top and bottom cheaters

Originally Posted by m371961
The only ones I have seen with top and bottom lenses were prescription. Not saying they can't be had in regular safety glasses, and would like to find them also.
I found mine at Grainger Supply in Portland Oregon. I would imagine the other Grainger stores would also have them.
Jerry