General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Warning to Newbies - Stay Away from Mondello

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 468_on_steroids
I'll tell you what I HAVN't done.....I haven't spent over $10,000 on an engine build only to end up with 492hp, that's for sure.

I may not have credentials on this site, but I DO have credentials in the real world. This site should be called classicslowmobiles.com.
There are plenty of people here that are in the "real world" with great engine builds producing 500+ hp. I happen to have a couple myself. I won't brag about my builds and the money spent. You can find my build sheets in my posts. I did a lot of price comparison and read a lot of threads here and on ROP and other sites plus talked to some real Olds expedience engine builders in our local scene and came to my on conclusions about Mondello as should everyone. The warning 's posted here do have real merit. I have personal experience on a street performance engine build and custom car build (66 442) that went totally sideways (friend of mine) that is well into the 30k range of being rebuilt here locally including a total engine rebuild that failed within 500 miles. Sad story. I'll try to get Ned to do a write up of everything that went wrong on the 100K+ car build from Mondello. He is pretty embarrassed about the who thing because he could not spend the time and money flying from Seattle and back often enough to check on the build. He is a very trusting guy who got screwed beyond belief.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

468 on steroids he might have spent 10k but i bet his engine will last longer. he would have spent less if he didn't get ripped of by mondildo . So you can run along and praise lynn and try to throw fuel in the fire. But when your crap breaks down due to junk parts like cheap generic lifters i'll bet you will run with your tail between your legs and you wont talk so tough. You can have credentials all you want but if you use junnk parts your stuff wont last. He had lifters fail. smaller cc heads, brocken rocker arms, bad head gaskets, what makes you think your special and you got the "good" stuff. Go pound sand. Your mouth will catch up to you one day.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:11 AM

Easy boy's.
Let everyone have their opinion without the mud slinging. Remember we all have one thing in common. Oldsmobiles.
We can agree to disagree but please be civil. Everyone and I mean everyone see the world completely different from anyone else.

Mike
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM

I already said I only buy my cams & thrush kits from Mondello. Why u bringing lifters back into it??? I'm not guy that threw junk lifters or rockers into a build, or the guy that threw $100,000 at a company that he couldn't monitor and assure himself of it's production quality. Sounds like people allow them selves into these situations and wonder why things don't work out for them.

I deal with Mondello, M&J Proformance, Fusick, Dick Miller, Rocket racing. They all have their forte's and short comings.

Last edited by 468_on_steroids; July 21st, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:37 AM

No if you follwed steve's story he had good dealing's with mondello in the past well before his current engine if i remembered right. He got the shaft on this build. So you buy those two items from mondello and you can say he is a good guy. You are buying things he probably drop ships to you. I think engle grinds their cams. All the cams i have ordered from comp or howards have been dropped shipped.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM

Sounds like people allow them selves into these situations and wonder why things don't work out for them.

I deal with Mondello, M&J Proformance, Fusick, Dick Miller, Rocket racing. They all have their forte's and short comings.[/QUOTE]

So you mean to tell me you have allowed your self to be in a bad situtation enough to find out he short comings of the companies you listed. You must not deal with them anymore then since you say if you allow yourself it's your fault. Steve put his warning made it clear you are just trying to put the blame on him. Im not fighting his fight but im just calling out your reasoning .
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM

SOS - you can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink!!

Unless they complain they got ripped-off - can't say they haven't been warned!
Enough said, IMO.
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:17 AM

I'll tell you what I HAVN't done.....I haven't spent over $10,000 on an engine build only to end up with 492hp, that's for sure.

I may not have credentials on this site, but I DO have credentials in the real world. This site should be called classicslowmobiles.com.
Steve was providing valuable and much-appreciated information on his personal experiences with a company that has shown a pattern of poor business practices. You counter by downplaying his documented experience and then insulting the site by calling it a name? Seriously? I don't know exactly what you were hoping to accomplish, but I don't think you succeeded.
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:44 PM

Thumbs down

This has degenerated into school yard, tit for tat arguing (mines bigger than yours). Come on guys grow up!
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:22 PM

Ralsy, that what I was thinking.
Are you on the Sunshine Coast as in Sechelt BC?
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow.

Some subjects just seem to bring 'em out of the woodwork.

Thanks, Steve. You've made a valuable contribution to the forum.

- Eric
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM

Sunshine coast, Queensland. Perfect one day, better the next.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:21 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

10k for 492hp no thank you~!!!!!!!!!!!! i'd estimate (me doing the labor, it's not rocket science) you can build a nice 800hp motor with 5k not using cheap bullshit parts either, i'd only go with quality vs. cheap and "will do" it'll pay off in the end. wont have to nickel and dime when **** falls apart b/c it was made with no respect or dignity towards what it's meant to be used for. ........these aren't mcdonald's toys we're riding around in.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by bdub217
10k for 492hp no thank you~!!!!!!!!!!!! i'd estimate (me doing the labor, it's not rocket science) you can build a nice 800hp motor with 5k not using cheap bullshit parts either, i'd only go with quality vs. cheap and "will do" it'll pay off in the end. wont have to nickel and dime when **** falls apart b/c it was made with no respect or dignity towards what it's meant to be used for. ........these aren't mcdonald's toys we're riding around in.
ROFLMFAOWSMUAPMPATWCOTSROOMN

That means rolling on floor laughing my f-ing a-- off while sh-tting my underwear and pissing my pants all the while choking on the snot running out of my nose...you have no clue do you dude?

You'd estimate? Do it once, then make that statement. I don't know how we find you guys but geez you sure do make life interesting. How does the glass taste by the way? Is it still strawberry or has it changed?

P.S. The only labor I paid for was the $1700 for machine work
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM

800 hp out of 5k try it and get back to me . Not being rude but that's is just impossible even with cheap stuff.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow.

Some subjects just seem to bring 'em out of the woodwork.

Thanks, Steve. You've made a valuable contribution to the forum.

- Eric
I'm sorry Eric...if I had known I would never have posted it. I just don't remember being so bold and aggressive when I was a new member. I guess my parents taught me to be respectful and polite when I first met people. Maybe that's not taught anymore...hmm. But there is more than one way to get people to listen to you, I prefer the actions before words approach but some people just like to holler
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:03 AM

LMAO at 800hp for 5k! That won't even get you a set of bolt on ready heads that are capable of 800hp. More like 18-25k depending on how long you want it to last.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:49 AM

^^^x2^^^
Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
ROFLMFAOWSMUAPMPATWCOTSROOMN
This made me happy.

- Eric
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM

the key issue to this thread is be careful with Mondello in CA. I used them in the early 90s and tried again years back and won't anymore because of the same issues.

Yes, I have heard from them and others that people call and pick their brains and waste their time. I get that, but with in reason you have to listen a bit and provide some customer service.

Also, we are not all engine builders. The way some of you throw around how obvious certain things are or how much horse power you can produce means nothing to me or to many others I bet. 25 years ago I rebuilt my own engines, painted my own cars. I don't have the time anymore for that and would have to relearn a lot - I hope to one day but for now driving the family in the car is more enjoyable to me than seeing it on jack stands. Does that make me less of an Olds person, I don't feel so, but for many of us we depend on the people we are buying from so you can't necessarily say shame on you. If I stopped buying from every vendor we know of because of one mistake I wouldn't have any one to buy from. They have all made errors, they are human its how they handled the errors that matter.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

ahhahaha but my boss has a 454 in his truck all pro built with quality products he's not the cheapy type and it cost him 6 grand...... its running 760hp. ima make him go get a dyno so i can post the sheet =)
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
This made me happy.

- Eric
Glad I was able to brighten your day lol!
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/arch.../t-157948.html check out think link on a budget build and how much that cost the hp levels and cost . 6k for 760 hp pshhhhhh just a little unrealistic still even if it is a chevy imo specially if you say he bought quality parts.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM

Either way, Steve, thanks for pointing me to the thread. I picked up some other Olds leads off of here, always a bonus! and some insight into some folks business practices. I've ran into a couple Olds guys around here that like Lynn, but I've not had any dealings with him. Only thing I've bought from them so far has been some oil restrictors. I'm a broke ***, piecing together a Heinz 57 of a 455 to get my 71 back on the road. Interested to see how it does. Thank's again!
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/arch.../t-157948.html check out think link on a budget build and how much that cost the hp levels and cost . 6k for 760 hp pshhhhhh just a little unrealistic still even if it is a chevy imo specially if you say he bought quality parts.
where's his supercharger?

Last edited by bdub217; July 22nd, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:18 AM

Turbo's/superchargers are not cheap specially if he likes good parts. Boosted hp vs n/a will cost the same if not more. You got the turbos'intercooler, piping,boost regulators, oil lines,adding turbos/supercharger will cost $ because all the parts to build a race engine still apply to a boosted race engine but now you will need stronger forged internals to handle the boost. Otherwise boom goes your shiney new engine. So you just dug yourself a hole. Superchargers aren't cheap. 2k and up for good ones.

Last edited by coppercutlass; July 23rd, 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Bump because yet again I found another guy getting screwed...if anyone else has any experiences with Mondello, good or bad please post them in this thread so others won't make the same mistake or can learn how to get good parts from them.
Old August 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM

Steve it's been about 2 years now that I've had my Olds. Mondello was the first name I heard about as far as getting parts etc but over the last 2 years I've heard nothing but bad things about them so it's safe to say I will never deal with them. Fusik,Inline Tube,Olds Performance Products,OPG,Dick Miller and Summit are all who I've dealt with in the past.

I really like Fusik,Olds Perfom Products and even Summit they all have great customer service. The others were also problem free.
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...03#post4707803
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
But.....but.....but.....it was MY *** .
He was trying to get your wallet....
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Registered car nut

ahhahaha but my boss has a 454 in his truck all pro built with quality products he's not the cheapy type and it cost him 6 grand...... its running 760hp. ima make him go get a dyno so i can post the sheet =)
760 is not 800 and 454 is not Olds so why bring it up on an Olds site?
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fakser
Do you research on any vendor then make a decision if their a jerk on the phone then don't buy from them?
Why, yes... yes I do. I also walk out of businesses if the person I'm dealing with is unknowledgeable, or rude...

And from a post further down, you do the same.

I don't buy from Compcams because they were rude on the phone
But you can get a Comp Cam anywhere, so theoretically, that point is moot.

But to contribute to the point of the thread... someone also mentioned another vendor in this thread that has been black listed by some, however that poster still uses him. The OP did a good job pointing out HIS experiences, and I for one appreciate that info. Iffn I choose to purchase Chinesium, I may as well get it at the lowest price possible and expect it to last 1.6 minutes.

John

Last edited by Eightupman; August 16th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:08 PM
SXsleeper

Mondello

Originally Posted by atkinsom
Thank you for this thread AH64. I'm learning things as I go along and don't need more headaches as a greenhorn. Cheers.
I'm one of those greenhorns! I have replaced parts on my cars for years as i was raising my family. But rebuilding motors takes alot more knowledge and experience. I have bought from Mondello yrs before and have had fair experiences. In fact, Joe port and polished and rebuilt my heads and I have been happy with them. This time I went back to them again trusting that they would lead me right. I have had problems with my lifters, rockers, and vavle covers. May-be minor issues to many, but it has lead me to a great deal of fustration and dissapointment! Lynn has offered to replace parts with brand name parts, but why should a guy have to go through all of that. Just glad we caught the problems before they caused serious problems! I say, anyone who wants to buy from Mondello really needs to know what they will be getting before they buy. For those who haven't, read my thread: trouble with roller tip rockers on stock heads.
Like I have always told my kids, There's always a consequence for your decisions!

Last edited by sxsleeper; August 20th, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: wording
Old August 21st, 2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
For too long I have held my tongue for fear of offending someone or getting my pee pee slapped. But there is no reason for anyone to waste money there when I have learned the hard way for them. And there are quite a few people that have had the same experiences.

Enough is enough, if they want to screw their loyal customers (I have been one since 1996 and spent over $20K with them)
Wow, so you're not just a fly by night guy pissin about the costs.

I would definitely consider your advice if I was looking to go with Mondello.
Look elsewhere people.....even the Olds Dr's legacy is outsourcing to China.....
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM

Wow,after reading this I'm glad my 64 cutlass holiday coupe came with a SBC,which I have done quite a bit of work on so far with parts from summit racing.My problem will be restoring my wifes recently purchased 64 cutlass convertible with it's original 330.Hmm maybe I should just look for a chebby engine.Just kidding.Thanks for the thread.I will be restoring the wifes car to original,so the 330 stays.I live in Ct.and can attest to Fusicks quality.I have walked in there numerous times, and it doesn't matter how much or how little you know,they treat you with respect.great people.
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:42 PM

. ........these aren't mcdonald's toys we're riding around in.
I dunno.....I do see some similarities.

BTW 800hp on $5,000 even with an LSx isn't possible. Sorry.
I've seen almost 600hp with a hair dryer on a 5.3L for $5,000 but that engine won't last long.

Now if you're talking Oldsmobile engines, you're working with less efficient head design,
and a much much smaller aftermarket....So the costs go way up to get there.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 21st, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I dunno.....I do see some similarities.

BTW 800hp on $5,000 even with an LSx isn't possible. Sorry.
I've seen almost 600hp with a hair dryer on a 5.3L for $5,000 but that engine won't last long.

Now if you're talking Oldsmobile engines, you're working with less efficient head design,
and a much much smaller aftermarket....So the costs go way up to get there.
Oh **** ,that's too damn funny!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM

mondello gets irritated when people who don't know what the hell they are doing call up and ask dumb questions. people expect mondello to sit on the phone allllllllll day give them advice on what works and what doesn't, or practically build the motor over the phone for them without actually getting paid to do so. time is money. mondello likes dealing with people who know their **** and don't waste their time.....i don't blame them.

you blow a gasket and it's mondello's fault?? that'd be tough to prove in a court of law, just saying.
When I was rebuilding the engine in my 1965 Olds Starfire 425. I was looking for new valves, I was doing it factory stock and didn't want to modify the "A" heads for later valves. My brother who is in auto parts called Mondello looking for the correct Intake valves which were only available in the 370hp Starfire engine. Mondello insisted that my engine used the 2.07 intakes!! When the originals were 1.95's and the stems were exclusive to this motor.If they are such "OLDSMOBILE SPECIALISTS" they should have known this!!!! I found the correct valves elsewhwere and they are real G.M.
Personally I don't think they know as much as they think they do. If Mondello likes dealing with people who know their **** then they should learn it before they talk ****!!!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
SXsleeper

Originally Posted by sxsleeper
I'm one of those greenhorns! I have replaced parts on my cars for years as i was raising my family. But rebuilding motors takes alot more knowledge and experience. I have bought from Mondello yrs before and have had fair experiences. In fact, Joe port and polished and rebuilt my heads and I have been happy with them. This time I went back to them again trusting that they would lead me right. I have had problems with my lifters, rockers, and vavle covers. May-be minor issues to many, but it has lead me to a great deal of fustration and dissapointment! Lynn has offered to replace parts with brand name parts, but why should a guy have to go through all of that. Just glad we caught the problems before they caused serious problems! I say, anyone who wants to buy from Mondello really needs to know what they will be getting before they buy. For those who haven't, read my thread: trouble with roller tip rockers on stock heads.
Like I have always told my kids, There's always a consequence for your decisions!
So still having issues with my Rockers! Told Lynn at Mondello what was still happening and he said he would send me a set of new rockers. Here's what he sent me:

Used rockers 003.jpg
Used rockers 005.jpg
Used rockers 006.jpg
Used rockers 008.jpg

Came in a beat up box, rockers wraped in newspapers and stuck in ziplocks! When I called Lynn and asked him "what the hay?" he said he wanted to send me a set just to get me going until the new ones came. He didn't even send any rocker pedistals to install them! Said these had been on a magazine build he was doing and they only had about 40 min. on them. I told him there must have been something wrong with the motor if it only had 40 min. on it because there was wear on the rockers already! Later I checked the newspapers they were wrapped in and they were from Casper, Wy. Magazine build in WY? Aren't they located in Cal.? The whole thing rings with untruth! Finally had to tell him I wanted Harland Sharps and gave him the part number I wanted. We'll see what I get now????

"Beware" is an understatement!
Old November 21st, 2016, 01:13 PM

recently a guy got a 455 rebuilt from Mondello.

got only 20psi oil pressure...

A friend's machine shop found lifters would not pass oil.

also bad crank machining

and they are the BEST???? Not anymore...

Quick Reply: Warning to Newbies - Stay Away from Mondello