General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Traffic Violation Stories

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
svnt442 - methinks you're a little young to make that statement!
I ran the sewer pipes from Cumberland to Harlem on the Kennedy, as a kid, as they were building it!
Know, for a fact, all the X-ways in Chicago area had speed limits of 65, until that goofy 'gas shortage BS' in the 70's!
Ask an elder!!

OK you are talking BEFORE the federal speed limit was imposed. I remember my dad driving 60 (I see it clear as day in the 68 impala) on the Kennedy heading downtown from Montrose where the Magikist sign was.

I never hit RT53 until we moved to Schaumburg in 85 so it was most definitely 55 by then.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM

Mid 90's in a rented Olds Achieva with a quad 4 engine. Driving back from Missouri to Colorado and coming across Kansas at about 1am. There was nobody on the road and if you have been through there then you know its flat and straight forever. So lets see what this car tops out at I tell myself and of I go.

Well the fuel shut off at about 122MPH indicated so I backed off and was cruising along about 105 when all of the sudden out of the total darkness turns on a set of headlights facing right at me! I knew right away what that meant and after I flew buy him he turned in behind me lights flashing. So I coasted to a stop and up he came asking why I was going so fast. I think something like "I felt like it" was my answer. I have always been honest like that when pulled over.

Well after seeing that I was living in Colorado....with a California license....in a rented car, he was pretty suspect of this guy flying along in the middle of the night. So after his back up arrived, they turned that car inside out from bumper to bumper and found exactly nothing so they issued me a ticket and off I went. He wrote me for 90 in a 65 and it was $75! I have to say I was a little nervous over the thorough search being as how it was a rental car but there was nothing in it.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:50 PM

In Illinois now, they've made it a FELONY, and impound your car, if you're over 30 MPH past the speed limit!!
$75 was cheap - the court costs are that, here!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Here's one from my Dad...

In August of '72 my Dad borrowed the Cutlass Supreme fro his parents (same one in my avatar) and that night he was messing around with one of his friends. The car was brand new and was just delivered in June so this is his first outing in it. Well around town he really couldn't "stretch" it out and they just paved Hwy 247 in front of Robins AFB so off they went.
Backing up three years to 1969 my Dad and Mom were married and on their honeymoon they were ran off the road by a drunk driver and he rolled his '65 Dart several times. Needless to say the Dart was totaled and the honeymoon cut short. Well back to 1972 he rolls onto Hwy 247 and stops. Well he guns it after "cleaning the tires off" and away he went. Now this was 1 am and there was no one in sight. So after winding out 1st gear on the his side of the dual gate he hits Super 2nd and right about 115 mph he went into drive. And now all of a sudden he see's parking lights kinda halfway in his lane and halfway in the median. Well flashing back to his run in with an intoxicated driver back in '69 he swerves around this guy with his finger out the window a gave the guy a big "Georgia High Sign." This was the same time he went by and noticed Georgia State Patrol on the door
Well he shut her down and the trooper came screaming up to him with lights flashing and siren blazing. Then came skidding sideways to a stop to avoid hitting the Cutlass Well after a good tongue lashing and a lengthy ticket he sent Daddy on his way. $65 later there was no harm no foul cause his parents didn't find out until years later. LOL
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
In Illinois now, they've made it a FELONY, and impound your car, if you're over 30 MPH past the speed limit!!
$75 was cheap - the court costs are that, here!

My god.....you can't mandate intelligent behavior!! Making +30 MPH a felony is just damn STUPID!
Is it dumb to drive that fast? Yup. Felony dumb? NO!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:29 PM

Back in the 1980's in a small town on Long Island it was a fall Saturday night, a buddy in his '68 Mustang GTA 390 & I was in my '68 GTO convertible were drag racing in heart of downtown. It was one lane in each direction and I was on the wrong side of the double yellow, well my buddy and I went at loud exhausts blasting and all. I pulled out on the Mustang and we came up on a traffic light that was just turning RED, I blasted the light my buddy stopped for the light. It was 1:00am I don't know why he stopped but, a foot patrol cop came running out towards his car and handcuffed himself to the Mustangs door handle. The cop wanted my buddy to give up me or get a ticket. He didn't give me up and was able to not get the ticket either. Needless to say I kept clear of that town for a while.
Has anybody ever heard of a cop doing something like that???Good Times!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:05 AM

I can't imagine one would try these days for fear of having his arm torn off!!!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:22 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I had just bought my Cutlass off of my cousin (who was a cheapskate) and was driving it on the back roads with my buddy and a 6 pack of beer. The car had really skinny cheap little tires on it. We ended up in a one horse town about twenty miles out and were just opening one of the beers when a guy started pulling out in front of me. I being young and stupid got mad and swerved over like I was going to hit him. Just so happened one of the two cops in the town was coming the other way and saw me pull this stunt. I looked at my buddy and told him that I was not going to get caught and off we go. I was leaving him in the dust, we tossed the beer and turned onto a winding county road. As we were going around one of the corners my buddy yells at me to turn left, I said "where?" He answered "right here!" so I whipped the wheel to the left. Due to the skinny cheap tires the car starts spinning out of control and I end up on the other side of the road facing the other direction with the car stalled out. I got the car started back up and was putting it in drive when the cop showed up, got out of his car and pulled his gun on me. It wasn't five minutes later and the other town cop was there, the County Sherrif was there and the Ohio Highway Patrol was there. The town cop kept asking me what kind of drugs I was on. Got a first degree misdemeanor, lost my license for a year except to work and back and a $1000 fine out of that one.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
W40 Kid

A few years ago, I had a 86 Camaro IROC-Z and of course my good friend had a 98 Mustang GT.. The classic Chevy/Ford Dueling friendship... Him and I were out cruising around Lansing one night, and after a long night of driving, thought we would head back to my house. So on our way back, he decides to pull along side of me and goose the throttle a little bit, I of course do the same. Next thing you know he's got it floored and I got it floored... Last thing I want for for his big Ford head to say he can beat a Proud 20+ year old GM product. so after going for a good quarter mile of being close to neck and neck, we slow back down to speed limit speeds, and just as I was turning the final corner to head back home, I have a good ole' Sheriffs red and blues behind me. After he comes up to to the window and asks a series of questions, informs me that I was doing 101 in a 55.. then proceeds to tell me " I clocked your buddy at 103" .. After a long pause, I told him, Well I guess I lost.... Least this made him chuckle. He finally came back after 25 mins of me sweating bullets, hands me a 5 over ticket and says, "I was you age once, I know what its like to have fun cars and battling those Ford guys, and you had a perfect record, so let this be the one and final warning, and take it down a notch" .... Gotta say it could have been a lot worse, and I learned my lession that day!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Alb

traffic stop

A couple of weeks ago I was at the local coffee shop. When I went to leave I got a coffee to go for my wife. As I was driving home, there is a stop sign. Looking both ways I just slowed down. As I was going through the intersection I look to my right and there is a State Police car coming. Now he was a good 100 yards from the intersection. His lights come on. I am thinking, boy was that a dumb move on my part. Well I pull over along side the road. He comes up to the truck and says. Do you know why I am stopping you. I said, Yes sir I do. I didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign. He says, And why didn't you ? The only thing I could think of at that moment was. I have to get this coffee home to my wife. He gets this grin on his face and says. In 15 years of being a policemen I have never heard that excuse. From now on stop. Now get that coffee home to your wife. He let me go with just a warning. So had it not been for the coffee I would have gotten a ticket that I really did deserve.
Alb
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:13 AM

Ha! I'll play...but just with the mild ones to start.....

Not in an Olds, but..

I was on my '85 Nighthawk S on an unusually warm early December day ~ 1988 taking it to the garage where I'd store it for the winter. I'd just polished it all over & filled the tank with the good stuff. I was almost to the neighborhood when I thought 'Man, its just too nice to put it away just yet.'. So, I passed the 'hood & waited at a red light. The road is a 35 mph straight 2 lane past my old elementary school and there wasn't any traffic around. When it greened, I launched and banged thru the gears. I was down w/ my chin on the tank and climbing thru 100 mph. Just past the school I backed off a bit for a stop aways ahead.....then I noticed a 'flickering' in the trees overhanging the road.

I sat up & looked around only to see a sheriff car about 100 feet behind me, closing fast, and about to run me over. I pulled over and stopped. He started screaming on his PA 'Don't move!', 'Hands up', 'Shut off the bike' , 'Step away from the bike' and a bunch of other things. I was kinda frozen...I couldn't shut off the bike and kickstand it with my hands in the air. So I slowly reached down, shut it off, and climbed off. Then he starts screaming 'Don't get off the bike', 'Stay there'. Since I was already off, I just stood there with my arms out. I was scared.....of the visions I was having of my beautiful bike banging against the back of an old strap wrecker as the hauled it off.

He finally gets out and strides to me. He's really angry. I start to take my helmet off and he starts again with the 'Don't move' commands....so I freeze.

After some Q & A where I told him I was just 'running it out' before winter storage, he starts to calm down. After a few more mins he's calm enough to tell me he thought the bike was stolen or something and that's why I was going so fast. He asked how fast and I said something like 'I dunno, I wasn't looking at the speedo'. He says once he got behind me he clocked me at 75 mph. He writes me up for 55 in a 35, tongue lashes me some more and sends me on my way.

Apparently he was napping just behind the edge of the school when my approach startled/woke him and he came out behind me. I never saw him until I sat up.

Last edited by Indy_68_S; February 3rd, 2012 at 10:25 AM.