General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Possible W-30

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2023, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
As a matter of fact, yes, I believe people could "pick a car up at the factory and drive it home. My in laws bought a brand new 1977 Olds Delta 88 and picked it up at the factory. I believe it was probably part of a sales promotion at the time. The car would most certainly have been "prepped" for the drive home.
I believe the proper procedure to buy a car and pick it up @ the factory was done @ Story Olds in Lansing.
Old November 21st, 2023, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
true, he can tell all the tall tales he wants until it’s rotted to nothing and gone
The mentality of people that just let something rot into the ground instead of selling it to someone that cares makes zero sense to me. We see it over and over though.
Old November 21st, 2023, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I believe the proper procedure to buy a car and pick it up @ the factory was done @ Story Olds in Lansing.
why would anyone buy from a dealership if they could just bypass that step and cost?

if you could save the freight and whatever the dealerships added on, why didn’t everyone just by direct from GM?
Old November 21st, 2023, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
The mentality of people that just let something rot into the ground instead of selling it to someone that cares makes zero sense to me. We see it over and over though.
I’ve dealt with car owners like that before..more than a few clowns over the years.

what I figured out was they need that car to make themselves whole…its their only thing going on in their lives and gives them a connection to the last when they actually had a life..really, they are usually broke and living in a dump or in a tough situation where they can’t even afford to put the car inside a garage .

they complain about people stopping to ask about the car sitting out for the whole world to see it, but secretly enjoy the attention and enjoy bitching about people asking about it.

in the last two years I’ve picked up four Old’s that were exactly like that..three of the owners had eventually died, the fourth went blind . I’ve posted pics of them.

I have two more I’m working on that are in the same situation…both are now so rotten, they can’t be saved. They’ll be parts cars.

so, it has nothing to do with the owner saving or preserving the car, they don’t know they don’t care…. It’s about them desperately holding on to a memory..when that car is gone, a piece of them goes with it…they fear that feeling
Old November 21st, 2023, 03:19 PM
Rocket Renegade!

That's very insightful. ^^^
Old November 21st, 2023, 03:21 PM

why would anyone buy from a dealership if they could just bypass that step and cost?

if you could save the freight and whatever the dealerships added on, why didn’t everyone just by direct from GM?
I'm just telling you there was a way to buy a car from Olds to be delivered through Story Olds in Lansing. I remember somebody telling the story on how they did it & what the savings was.
Old November 21st, 2023, 07:35 PM

Transport of the car from the factory to closer to you. Ability to shop around, and buy today, etc.
Old November 21st, 2023, 08:46 PM

People ordered and equipped the new car to their personal desires. Going to the factory to pick up their new car saved the freight charge, but "dealer prep" was required. They didn't bypass their local (home town) dealer, there was a "commission" paid to the local dealer. The new car owners may not have saved any money, but they got a "once in a lifetime" experience of being treated like royalty and driving the new car they ordered from the factory. The cars were "delivered" Monday thru Friday. So, most people have to take "vacation days" for traveling to the "factory". No one could or can buy a new car "direct" from GM.

There is a concept you may not be aware. The concept is called "brand loyalty". People used to buy the same brand cars one after another. Some people bought only FoMoCo, others bought MoPar, Others bought Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac's. If you look closely we are on a site thats full of Oldsmobile owners and enthusiasts. This signifies a "brand loyalty" to Oldsmobiles.
Old November 21st, 2023, 09:34 PM
Banned

Well and Oldsmobile people were loyal. That is one of the reasons that I am an Oldsmobile man for life. Once you have ever driven a factory W car you would get it. W cars are completely different than a standard 350-455 442 or Cutlass. I have driven both. Look it up. Completely different animal. Looking at this car I would trust this car sitting over the fake crap that gets people standing up for ten times over. This car wasn't put together to play games. Sad to see it rot away but did someone put this together to scam people?? I say no.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 06:35 AM

they complain about people stopping to ask about the car sitting out for the whole world to see it, but secretly enjoy the attention and enjoy bitching about people asking about it.
I think you squarely hit that nail on the head!!!
Old November 22nd, 2023, 06:36 AM
Shoveling Snow

Old November 22nd, 2023, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
People ordered and equipped the new car to their personal desires. Going to the factory to pick up their new car saved the freight charge, but "dealer prep" was required. They didn't bypass their local (home town) dealer, there was a "commission" paid to the local dealer. The new car owners may not have saved any money, but they got a "once in a lifetime" experience of being treated like royalty and driving the new car they ordered from the factory. The cars were "delivered" Monday thru Friday. So, most people have to take "vacation days" for traveling to the "factory". No one could or can buy a new car "direct" from GM.

There is a concept you may not be aware. The concept is called "brand loyalty". People used to buy the same brand cars one after another. Some people bought only FoMoCo, others bought MoPar, Others bought Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac's. If you look closely we are on a site thats full of Oldsmobile owners and enthusiasts. This signifies a "brand loyalty" to Oldsmobiles.
on the brand loyalty you thing I may not be aware of…when was the last time you bought a new Olds? I bought a new Alero right near the end of the Olds name .

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; November 22nd, 2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 07:28 AM

Well and Oldsmobile people were loyal. That is one of the reasons that I am an Oldsmobile man for life. Once you have ever driven a factory W car you would get it. W cars are completely different than a standard 350-455 442 or Cutlass. I have driven both. Look it up. Completely different animal. Looking at this car I would trust this car sitting over the fake crap that gets people standing up for ten times over. This car wasn't put together to play games. Sad to see it rot away but did someone put this together to scam people?? I say no.
who are you trying to explain what a W car is like, I hope it isn’t me?

as far as that car being put together for not playing games..that’s a joke. The rims on it are pure goofiness. The rims guys put on cars tells a lot about how serious their car is..that tire and rim combo screams retarded wanna be 😂😁

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; November 22nd, 2023 at 07:32 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
I think you squarely hit that nail on the head!!!
yep, it’s the truth. a simple tarp over it or pushing it into the garage would stop all his “aggravation” but then that would stop his life and him living in the past

ive seen it so many times
Old November 22nd, 2023, 08:22 AM

Just for the record and it case it wasn’t clear from my previous posts, I’m not interested in trying to buy this car. Knowledge of it dropped in my lap and the possibility it could be a real W30 has made it interesting to try and determine its history. If I can keep an eye on it and possibly help facilitate saving it I’ll do that but for now, the guy isn’t willing to let it go. I agree with canadianolds, his stance has nothing to do with the car. Having it rotting in his driveway is an emotional safety blanket.
Who knows whether the Detroit story is BS? I feel pretty confident it’s a real 442. The only way I’d believe it’s a real W30 is if the guy had some proof and, given his attitude, he probably wouldn’t share it even if he had it.
I’ll continue to share any new info I may get.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 08:59 AM

on the brand loyalty you thing I may not be aware of…when was the last time you bought a new Olds? I bought a new Alero right near the end of the Olds name .
I tip my hat to you.
I never bought a new Oldsmobile after Roger Smitth and the poor quality. I did buy a lot of 2 year old Delta 88's and 98's that were RWD. I have been watching for the new Oldsmobile's to hit the showroom floor.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 09:06 AM

Well and Oldsmobile people were loyal. That is one of the reasons that I am an Oldsmobile man for life. Once you have ever driven a factory W car you would get it. W cars are completely different than a standard 350-455 442 or Cutlass. I have driven both. Look it up. Completely different animal.
You really don't get it. Oldsmobile made 88's and 98's long before the 442 came along. And the W machines came along later yet.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 09:17 AM

yep, it’s the truth. a simple tarp over it or pushing it into the garage would stop all his “aggravation” but then that would stop his life and him living in the past

ive seen it so many times
Yep, I've seen so many examples of this exact thing. It gives the guy some notoriety in his pitiful life. The best story I can tell is back in the 70's when I started the job I retired from I went all over the place. There was a service station that I passed frequently that had a 57 Chevy 2 door business coupe. They were rare as hens teeth and I only knew about them because when I raced there was a guy who had one. I would stop and ask about it and the guy who owned it worked there and said it wasn't for sale. I don't remember how long it sat there but one day I went by and it was gone and the station was closing down. I asked the guy what happened to the 57 and he said he junked it because the station was closing and he didn't have anywhere to keep it. Talking about pissed, I wanted to bust him in the mouth. Those business coupes were rare because it was a cheap model with no back seat and no window cranks in the rear. That car was an old Forestry Department unit, you could still see the imprint of the writing on it.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 09:37 AM

Yep, I've seen so many examples of this exact thing. It gives the guy some notoriety in his pitiful life. The best story I can tell is back in the 70's when I started the job I retired from I went all over the place. There was a service station that I passed frequently that had a 57 Chevy 2 door business coupe. They were rare as hens teeth and I only knew about them because when I raced there was a guy who had one. I would stop and ask about it and the guy who owned it worked there and said it wasn't for sale. I don't remember how long it sat there but one day I went by and it was gone and the station was closing down. I asked the guy what happened to the 57 and he said he junked it because the station was closing and he didn't have anywhere to keep it. Talking about pissed, I wanted to bust him in the mouth. Those business coupes were rare because it was a cheap model with no back seat and no window cranks in the rear. That car was an old Forestry Department unit, you could still see the imprint of the writing on it.
Great story, I never knew they built a 57 like that..
Old November 22nd, 2023, 10:42 AM

A friend of mine has a 57 2 door. Been sitting untouched for 40 years I know of. I can’t remember if it’s a 150 or 210? I don’t think it has any chrome side moulding at all so may be a 150. Isn’t the Business coupe a 150 with side trim?

he’s git all kinds of health issues now so he’s realizing he has to sell stuff. Two kids have no interest in cars

ill shoot some picks next time I’m there.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; November 22nd, 2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 11:34 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

I’ll believe it when I see proof of it. I’ve heard that story about picking it up at the plant before as an excuse as to why a car has zero docs…like somehow that makes the car legit.

of course you would still get some docs. I’ll put money on it that this car has no proof whatsoever it was picked up at the plant….even though he says it’s still the original owner.

it would be nice to see this car get a new life and find out it’s real history
Option Y64 Retail Service. Typically, reserved for a car with intent to race, etc.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Just for the record and it case it wasn’t clear from my previous posts, I’m not interested in trying to buy this car. Knowledge of it dropped in my lap and the possibility it could be a real W30 has made it interesting to try and determine its history. If I can keep an eye on it and possibly help facilitate saving it I’ll do that but for now, the guy isn’t willing to let it go. I agree with canadianolds, his stance has nothing to do with the car. Having it rotting in his driveway is an emotional safety blanket.
Who knows whether the Detroit story is BS? I feel pretty confident it’s a real 442. The only way I’d believe it’s a real W30 is if the guy had some proof and, given his attitude, he probably wouldn’t share it even if he had it.
I’ll continue to share any new info I may get.
keep an eye on it. What I’ve done with guys like this is stroke their ego. Tell him he’s awesome and anything else he wants to hear. He is at least 70 years old if he bought it at 16 ..he isn’t gonna be around much longer…. most likely in his 80’s

next time say to him..wow, so you are the original owner and everything,, you probably have all the paperwork from GM when you purchased it?

even offer to help him bring it back to life

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; November 22nd, 2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Option Y64 Retail Service. Typically, reserved for a car with intent to race, etc.
yes, and when someone claims that..it’s only true with proof.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 12:41 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

yes, and when someone claims that..it’s only true with proof.
What do you mean? That's what the code is / was for. What kind of proof do you need? Window sticker?
Old November 22nd, 2023, 02:08 PM

A friend of mine has a 57 2 door. Been sitting untouched for 40 years I know of. I can’t remember if it’s a 150 or 210? I don’t think it has any chrome side moulding at all so may be a 150. Isn’t the Business coupe a 150 with side trim?

he’s git all kinds of health issues now so he’s realizing he has to sell stuff. Two kids have no interest in cars

ill shoot some picks next time I’m there.
The business coupe was a post car with no trim. It was as bare bones as a car can be. I'll try to find a picture of Max Hall's 57 Jr. Stocker. He called it The Revenuer. Found a picture. The car appears to have side trim but he had several 57 cars he raced. This one was Revenuer III

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; November 22nd, 2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
What do you mean? That's what the code is / was for. What kind of proof do you need? Window sticker?
so if someone says they picked it up at the GM plant, you just believe it?

I know the code. I also know a few guys who have purchased cars directly from GM to be super stockers. I know that because I know the cars and the real story.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; November 22nd, 2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2023, 07:42 PM

The business coupe was a post car with no trim. It was as bare bones as a car can be. I'll try to find a picture of Max Hall's 57 Jr. Stocker. He called it The Revenuer. Found a picture. The car appears to have side trim but he had several 57 cars he raced. This one was Revenuer III
his has no chrome besides the bumpers and it is a post car. Was originally a manual shift 6cyl but was switched over to a 327 long time ago. Made in Oshawa and sold through Maurice Carter chev olds in Hamilton
Carter Chev Olds was the performance car dealer here

great Olds pics from cars they sponsored

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; November 22nd, 2023 at 08:07 PM.