Fuel gauge removal

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Fuel gauge removal

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I have dicovered my fuel gauge problem is due to loose pins that the plug attaches to on my fuel gauge itself. I have an intemittent gauge/intemittent idiot light (in the fuel gauge head only) and I notice that if I hold pressure on the side of the plug, it all works fine.

A. Can anyone give me any tips/experiences/directions to remove the gauge? It doesn't look like fun.

B. I am in the market for a working gauge if you have one to sell (posted in parts wanted)

Thanks for your advice!
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
71 cutlass convertible

It is easy(at least on my 71). It comes out from the front. 2 screws at the top that holds on the plate that goes around all the gauges, then 3 small hex head screws hold the gauge in.
Larry
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
InfoJunkie

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...placement.html
69 is same.
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
Very helpful...thanks! I don't know what I was doing wrong in my searches of this forum! I will be prepared for cut up hands!
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Save yourself a lot of time and hurt in the long run. Take out the driver's seat before you even start. That way you can lay down under the dash and look at what you are removing. I've taken my '68 dash out twice, this time I even removed my steering column (made it a ton easier) but you don't have to go to that extreme just for the fuel pod. Having the seat removed is the way to go.
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Randy C.

I had a similar problem, only with the speedo pod. I was able to remove the pod by slightly lowering the steering column and just carefully working in that tight space (used a trouble light for visibility) to unscrew the two screws that hold the pod in place, and then bringing the entire pod out through the front.

It's my understanding that someone real good at soldering can reconnect the loose pins on your printed circuit without ruining the circuit board.

Or, you might try what I did. If the gauge pod is like the speedo pod, the printed circuit board on the back of the pod should unscrew and come off the pod. Four of the pins were loose on my speedo pod - one was completely broken off. I went to a model airplane store and bought some very small (2mm) fine thread screws. The screws were just the right size that they would self thread and screw into the back sides of the loose pins (the pins are hollow) and snug the pins back to the circuit board. If you try the screws, just be very slow, very patient, and very deliberate. You don't want to mess anything up further by sliding a screw driver across the board, or anything like that. The items that worked either intermittently, or not at all, in my speedo pod were fully restored.

Hope this helps.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68byGordieJun10.jpg (59.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
Olds68442conv4.jpg (49.2 KB, 9 views)
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
Save yourself a lot of time and hurt in the long run. Take out the driver's seat before you even start. That way you can lay down under the dash and look at what you are removing. I've taken my '68 dash out twice, this time I even removed my steering column (made it a ton easier) but you don't have to go to that extreme just for the fuel pod. Having the seat removed is the way to go.
Took it out this evening, it took about 20 minute without destroying anything! I found that taking the side dashboard duct out was very helpful. Once I was told the gauge came out the front of the dash cluster, it was straight forward. My shop manual didn't describe it well. This forum has been an important tool in my tool chest! Thanks all.

Last edited by 68ragtop; December 8th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I had a similar problem, only with the speedo pod. I was able to remove the pod by slightly lowering the steering column and just carefully working in that tight space (used a trouble light for visibility) to unscrew the two screws that hold the pod in place, and then bringing the entire pod out through the front.

It's my understanding that someone real good at soldering can reconnect the loose pins on your printed circuit without ruining the circuit board.

Or, you might try what I did. If the gauge pod is like the speedo pod, the printed circuit board on the back of the pod should unscrew and come off the pod. Four of the pins were loose on my speedo pod - one was completely broken off. I went to a model airplane store and bought some very small (2mm) fine thread screws. The screws were just the right size that they would self thread and screw into the back sides of the loose pins (the pins are hollow) and snug the pins back to the circuit board. If you try the screws, just be very slow, very patient, and very deliberate. You don't want to mess anything up further by sliding a screw driver across the board, or anything like that. The items that worked either intermittently, or not at all, in my speedo pod were fully restored.

Hope this helps.

Randy C.
Good stuff! Thank you.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Fuel Gauge Removal

So I should have read this thread earlier. I needed to take out my fuel gauge, however, I thought the gauge was to come out the back, and not the front. So I pulled it out the back, and now I see that there isn't room to pull it down below the dash. And by myself, I can't push it back in the hole and try to push it back out the front since my arms aren't long enough and I can't see what I'm doing since I am on my back on the floor. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow to help me with a few items, and I'm hoping I can be on the floor under the dash and he can be in the front trying to line the gauge up properly so I can push it back through the hole in the dash, if this is at all possible. Do you think this will work? Or does anyone have another suggestion? Am I going to have to drop the steering column and try to take it out and down through the back of the dash?
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Originally Posted by jdana24
So I should have read this thread earlier. I needed to take out my fuel gauge, however, I thought the gauge was to come out the back, and not the front. So I pulled it out the back, and now I see that there isn't room to pull it down below the dash. And by myself, I can't push it back in the hole and try to push it back out the front since my arms aren't long enough and I can't see what I'm doing since I am on my back on the floor. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow to help me with a few items, and I'm hoping I can be on the floor under the dash and he can be in the front trying to line the gauge up properly so I can push it back through the hole in the dash, if this is at all possible. Do you think this will work? Or does anyone have another suggestion? Am I going to have to drop the steering column and try to take it out and down through the back of the dash?
Well, we got it out. I was under the dash pushing, and my buddy was in front lining it up and pulling. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Only took a couple of minutes.
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:22 AM

What you could have done, was remove the black extention from the pod and it would have been much smaller and easier to remove...