neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM

neutral safety switch

67 cutlass, 330 cui....

last year i removed the 2 speed jetfire and replaced with a 200r4. problem is that the neutral safety switch nolonger is functional because of the extra gears.

does someone make a switch that will work. i have a console shift?

also, i've run into probems with the switch not working correctly. in other words, i would turn the ignition and the car would not start. if you look at the amp gauge, you will see the car pulling amps w/o ignition kicking in. i thought it was the neutral switch not working but i have connected the two wires that run to the switch so that should not be a problem.

additionally, the problem only occurs spuradially and not everytime.
the battery is brand new and all lights work great when engine is not running. could this problem be the ignition switch???????
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Past Administrator

Yes it surely could, or your starter, or the wiring to in the ignition/starter circuit. A thorough inspection may turn up a faulty connector or wire. Can't answer the question about the neutral safety switch application but I would think the one for the shifter should be the one you want to use. Are you using an aftermarket shifter or what?
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Knowing what shifter you have will be the first step to solving this issue.
Most aftermarket shifters are provisioned for both neutral safety and backup light switches.
I had a B&M Quicksilver shifter years ago. It came with two switches and all the hardware to install them. Very easy hookup.