old school car alarm?

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2017, 02:46 PM

old school car alarm?

can anyone identify this ?it appears to be some kind of aftermarket alarm not sure how it all works but i would like to eliminate it .havent messed with it yet for fear i might screw something else up disconnecting it.looks like the purple wire with stripe was spliced into for some reason.the tiny switch has one wire running to power in the fuse box .nothing happens when i switch it on .the red button is probly an indicator light .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2443.JPG (2.15 MB, 72 views)
IMG_2449.JPG (2.50 MB, 67 views)
IMG_2450.JPG (1.72 MB, 61 views)
IMG_2452.JPG (1.87 MB, 68 views)
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Thats what it looks like. Be careful as they usually broke the start circuit and were tied into the lights and horn.
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:30 PM

Thanks Eric I will try to look into it a little deeper tomorrow I'm assuming there's another purple wire with stripe that would need to be rejoined to the one in the pic .
Old March 29th, 2017, 08:49 PM

The switch will be a "valet switch" to disable the alarm when you hand the keys over to someone else that is going to drive your car. Like a valet. It can also be used for disabling the alarm if you lose or damage the remote control. Open the vehicle door, which will cause the alarm to sound, turn the ignition key on, and flip the switch to disable the alarm.

The purple/white wire should be the wire that engages the starter and the alarm splices a relay in-line to disable the starter if the alarm is triggered. This feature is to keep would-be thieves from managing to start the vehicle. Find the other end of the purple/white wire and connect it back together and you will have effectively restored the factory wiring. If the purple/white wire is too short to connect back together, simply leave a bit of the black wire that is already connected to it in line. The light flash lead, door switch, ignition and and any other leads connected to the vehicle should be t-tapped or scotchlocked into the factory wiring so locating them and removing them should be fairly simple. Find the alarm control module and gently pull it out into the open so you can find and trace the wires and you should be able to remove the entire thing in a very short amount of time.
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:07 PM

Carefully, very carefully cut the red wire.........

NO I MEAN THE BLUE!
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:36 AM

thanks for the help will look into after work today.
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Carefully, very carefully cut the red wire.........

NO I MEAN THE BLUE!
Ok, sure. Ummmm...I'm colour blind...the green wire?
Old March 30th, 2017, 12:17 PM

That alarm would look soooo much better in the garbadge
Old March 30th, 2017, 12:21 PM

That's where it's going in a few hours . Gotta clean up that rats nest under there !
Old March 30th, 2017, 01:52 PM

What brand is it? Sometimes the parts can be sold to people trying to repair their old alarm systems. Not very often, but sometimes...

Generally though the newer alarm systems are far better technology even though they will use the exact same contact points for light flash, door lock, starter kill, door switch and such. Even the low budget units nowdays will have code tumbling, extended range, and multiple output control.
Old March 30th, 2017, 01:57 PM

ill check when i get it out .you raise a good point .not sure where to advertise but willing to give it away for the price of shipping
Old March 30th, 2017, 04:22 PM

well at least i can see my fuse panel now!there may have been another part to this which plugged into that yellow connector .the black connector says bosch .the little grey box sounds like a door buzzer when you put power to it and says mexico ?? oh well, time to move on .thanks for the input
Attached Images
IMG_2453.JPG (1.98 MB, 24 views)
IMG_2455.JPG (2.60 MB, 22 views)
IMG_2454.JPG (2.30 MB, 24 views)
Old March 30th, 2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
well at least i can see my fuse panel now!there may have been another part to this which plugged into that yellow connector .the black connector says bosch .the little grey box sounds like a door buzzer when you put power to it and says mexico ?? oh well, time to move on .thanks for the input
That "little grey box" IS your door buzzer! What you have there is the remains of a car alarm. The orange connector is where the alarm module plugged in. The Bosch relay is the part that disconnects and re-connects the starter wire. Save the Bosch relay, they can be handy for switching any number of automotive circuits. Removing that mess-o-wires is a good thing, it was a very amateurish installation and very possibly a major point of failure at any time.

Last edited by cjsdad; March 30th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old March 30th, 2017, 05:39 PM

the grey box wasn't connected and my buzzer still sounds when I open the door with the key in the ignition . So I'm at a loss here .
Old March 30th, 2017, 05:49 PM

Aah I see now after taking another look the previous owner must have unplugged one side of it . I found the jack tucked away. Will clean the connection and see if it works . Didn't realize there were two separate buzzers .thanks for the heads up .