1966 cutlass convertible fuse block replacement

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2017, 02:43 PM

1966 cutlass convertible fuse block replacement

had the car since 87, been wanting to replace all wiring and fuse block past several years but been delaying it. car needs alot of work but i drive all the time, motor and trans rebuilt ten years ago, body and interior done 20 years ago. car needs full restoration eventually but i want to replace all wiring and fuse block. i got a quote for 1100$ to have fuse block rewired and all new wiring. bumper to bumper. id almost prefer to use a universal type with the new style fuses. american wire makes em , but not sure about the mounting spot in firewall. since there universal there mite be some modifications to firewall?
Anyone have similiar experience doing this? i knows there will be more work with the universal style, but at a difference of 600$ plus dollars.
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:45 PM

car has HEI, single wire alternator, no ac, manual windows. ive been putting this off for years, nows the time to replace it all, Thanks in advance
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Administrator

The big difference between an aftermarket generic new style fuse block is it does away with the bulkhead connectors. The wires go from the fuse block directly to each item. They are not hard to install and you may have to fabricate plated to cover the holes and to feed the harness to the engine compartment. You will also have to crimp a lot of your terminals and some connectors, so some new tools will be needed. I've done 2 EZ wiring kits on hotrods, the instructions are ok and all the wiring is stamped with the destination connection.