1955 with Chevy 350

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM

1955 with Chevy 350

I have seen two or three 88's with chevy 350's. What does this do to the value of the vehicles? How is this accomplished with regard to engine and tranny mounts? It obviously takes the Nostalgia away but equipped with a more modern engine and overdrive tranny , it would be easier to get parts and participate in long cruises, power tours etc.

What is the future for the original equipment drivetrains as parts get harder and harder to get a hold of.

I have a 55 88 hardtop and thought about doing a full restoration of interior and drivetrain but considered preserving the 324 and hydro tranny after rebuilding and properly storing it. While running a fuel injected small block chevy and overdrive tranny. I already have the engine from another project and it is a 3500 dollar engine so its not like I'm dropping an old broken down piece of junk in there.

I know this is sac religous and not as cool but I don't intend on selling the original drivetrain or hacking up the car by doing permanent alterations. I am a Corvette guy and I know how this affects the values of the vettes and obviously its not necessary to put an olds in a vette but hey if thats what I guy wanted,, I would say go for it. Mainly though, I was looking for options and a realistic view point. Many corvette guys are doing the above so they don't affect the value of their car by having an unfortunate failure that ruins original parts, drivetrain, block etc. They do it so they can drive there cars at track days and etc with out risking blowing up that numbers matching big block. Thanks

I'm not a back yard drunken hack artist so please don't flame me till I'm well done.

Last edited by johnfharding; September 18th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Oldsdruid

Value wise you'll cut it in half.

I doubt you'll be able to put that drivetrain in there without some serious alteration to chassis and firewall, possibly even floorpans to accommodate the electronic transmission.

You asked us not to flame, so I'm simply going to state an opinion. People who want to drive a modern car with all creature comforts should buy a modern car with all creature comforts. Part of owning/driving an older car is intentionally doing without all that **** and keeping life simple.
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Though I have 3 early 88s with the rocket still in them. I sure understand where you are at. If you want to install a late engine go for it. As long as you don't start cutting & hacking to do it I have an old Studebaker pickup that I drive the wheels off of....because it has a 350 and a 700 r4
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Value wise you'll cut it in half.

Maybe ,maybe not The street rod crowd right now are going nuts over 49-55 Olds 88
I will agree to me it would be worth more with the 324 & hydro

Now let's talk about a Olds in a Chevy or Ford
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM

My 455 in my 57 came out of a black berry patch behind a friends house. I sitll think their plenty of Olds engines around and most of us collect parts. I have a spare set of bare E heads that have been tanked and maged plus a set of big valve GA heads with rotaters. All us Olds nuts collect parts to insure they don't die out
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM

Head stud problem

I am pretty sure that I will be removing the engine at somepoint due to broken exhaust manifold studs in the heads. This is causing a serious exhaust leak and thats not acceptable for a car this cool.

I am going to venture I will have the whole shooting match all over the garage this winter. Unless I'm very lucky and can get all the studs out without removal.

I truly understand the idea of keeping the 324 and hydro, and I can't say that except for the fuel injection my 355 and overdrive are going to be much more modern than whats in there now. It will be easier to get parts etc.

My wife is pushing to keep the olds motor so in the end that may be the end result.
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:25 AM

I like your wife already. Maybe this should should be her Olds???
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
car guy

I have little different take on this than most here. I am not an Olds guy I am a car guy that currently owns an Olds. I am not married to one brand like a lot of people here.

If it was mine I would build somthing similar to what Don Hardy built a few years back. I think I first saw it in 1999 on Power Tour. He used original motor but built a custom fuel injection and put a modern overdrive behind it

If you are worried about resale you may **** some Olds guys off because it has no Olds motor in it but a street rod / custom guy will not care and in some cases would prefer the Chevy motor due to the ease of parts avilability.

In my experience you don't really hurt a value of a car with tastfully done swaps until you get to the muscle car era.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Cool

The engine is a pretty good little engine. It starts well runs decent and is pretty good performer. The transmission is alright as long as you are putting your foot in it. Otherwise it shifts too early and lugs the motor terrible.

The exhaust leak is bad and needs to be fixed my bet is I will have to at minimum remove the heads so basically half the engine would have to come out.

I gotta give credit to Oldsmobile the drivetrain in this car is very good and I know its not anywhere near its potential as few small fixes here and there and she would be good as new.

I can't get my mind off having the 355 ci 350 hp engine I built in the engine bay with some kind of fuel injection and headers, an overdrive tranny , a posi out back the cool look of this car just cruising down the road. We took the car to a cruise in tonight and I was amazed at the attention it got. WOW.
Old September 20th, 2008, 04:36 PM

How about posting a PIC of it
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Pictures

I will try to do that, I'm not having much luck right now

Last edited by johnfharding; September 20th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.