1964 dynamic hydro-matic shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM

1964 dynamic hydro-matic shifting issue

Hi all
I recently took my 64 olds dynamic for a long ride on the interstate. Until recently all my travel has been on secondary roads. I feel confident on the safety and performance of the car and now have pushed it on the interstate.
My question is how many shifts should I feel during the acceleration process.
If I accelerate from a stop and my goal is to obtain 60 MPH how many shifts should the tranny perform as it reaches the desired speed of 60 MPH.
While cruising at 60 MPH I feel the car is racing as if there is one more shift comming.
The fluid is fine and it has a two brl carb.I have been told I need a rebuilt carb
and until I do a rebuild the car will not shift correctly.
Any thoughts? And should I avoid the high speed interstate untill I find the problem.??
On a side note the old gal was pushing 90 mph when it began to lift off the pavement like the space shuttle...she wanted to go faster!! It took my heart @ a half hour to calm down
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Oldsdruid

You should feel TWO shifts- the rough 1st shift, and the second one into high gear is sometimes almost imperceptible.

I really don't see what effect the carb could have on the transmission as the tranny is not controlled by vacuum at all. If the TV rod linkage is out of adjustment enough to affect it going into high gear, you got more problems than a carb.

If it hit 90, the governor should have forced a shift into high gear somewhere around 75 mph.
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Rocketraider
Thanks for the reply. I do feel two shifts. Today I took it out and I felt the 1st @ 15mph and the second @ 38mph as I was reaching for a cruising speed of 60 mph. I won't be pushing 90 mph again, that scared the @#$% out of me. Should not have pushed her that hard with questionable front end