70 delta 88 custom

Old December 24th, 2006, 02:43 PM

70 delta 88 custom

Hey guys need alittle help here. i have a 70 88 custom with disc brakes and the rotors are now way below the specs for using. I WANT TO DRIVE MY CAR. I will however take this winter to do a disc brake swap on the front but dont know where to start. What spindles from different cars so and so on any help will be greatly appreciated
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:01 PM

guys please help me out

can anyone help me out with this 70 88 brake issue.

there are no new replacement drum for the rear and no replacemnet rotors for the front

will any gm b body spindle bolt in or do i need upper and lower control arms

anyone have any nos rotors if you do dont sell them
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

Wow. Your original post was from quite a while ago. I hate to raise up dead threads and to be honest I missed it the first time around. Sad that you don't have a solution yet. I will do some research and see what I can discover. Here is hoping someone else will have an answer for you in short time.
I found these, hope they help.

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=16...294962378+9179

Last edited by Oldsguy; September 26th, 2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Wow. Your original post was from quite a while ago. I hate to raise up dead threads and to be honest I missed it the first time around. Sad that you don't have a solution yet. I will do some research and see what I can discover. Here is hoping someone else will have an answer for you in short time.
I found these, hope they help.

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=16...294962378+9179
This has been going on for quite a while. First, the 71-76 B-body cars use a different rotor than the 70-earlier cars, so I'm very skeptical of the parts shown in that link. I have not been able to find a replacement rotor for the 65-70 B-body cars anywhere and I've looked. No one makes them as far as I can tell.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:41 AM

Results of a quick "Google" of the contact# on the site.

http://www.orldsm.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9453

Norm
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Past Administrator

Wow, Now I REALLY feel bad! In no way am I affiliated with crooks like these guys. See, you try and help someone out and what do you get? Actually, thanks to both Joe and Norm we now have more knowledge to protect ourselves from unscrupulous vendors.........................I learn something new every day.
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM

i called!!!!

i called them last night after i read the message and got some one who sounded like they were at home with a bunch of kids running around under them and when SHE ( no offense to the ladies) asked me if i needed the rotors for the rear of my 70 delta 88 i said forget it i will call somewhere else
and hung up.

i hope someone out there can be of some help to me. right now i have some buddies trying to talk me into ordering a complete uppe and lower tubular control arm set with airbags but no one seems to know if the set up will work with the rear steer on the bigg 88
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Have you looked at the following websites? I know they do good buisness. I have ordered from Kanter and Fusicks before, and I know alot of guys here on ClassicOlds recommend Rock Auto.

http://www.fusick.com/
http://www.kanter.com/
http://www.rockauto.com/
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Have you looked at the following websites? I know they do good buisness. I have ordered from Kanter and Fusicks before, and I know alot of guys here on ClassicOlds recommend Rock Auto.

http://www.fusick.com/
http://www.kanter.com/
http://www.rockauto.com/
I've checked with Fusick - no luck. I would expect them to have the parts before the other two. Once again, I have not been able to find a source for these rotors. Bottom line is that few of the cars were made with disk brakes and even fewer survive now. The market apparently isn't profitable enough for vendors to make these parts.
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM

lets figutre it out

does anybody have one of those books that had all of the parts and peices that would exchange with other b bodies.. did the caprice police packages use the same rotor.

joe, sounds like both of us have searched everywhere. wish i could find the person who knows gm enough to tell us what would work.

I havent went to any cruises or anything cause i dont want to put it on a trailer to take it

if you do a search about gm b-body brakes you will find a couple sites that have an upgrade for the cutlass that uses the bigger b-body rotors. is that a 71 and up rotor

again guys thanks for ALL of your help i really appreciate it !!!

hey just realized i havent update where i live i am now in LEXINGTON Ky

Last edited by russell7088; September 30th, 2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: want to add something
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by russell7088
does anybody have one of those books that had all of the parts and peices that would exchange with other b bodies.. did the caprice police packages use the same rotor.

joe, sounds like both of us have searched everywhere. wish i could find the person who knows gm enough to tell us what would work.

I havent went to any cruises or anything cause i dont want to put it on a trailer to take it

if you do a search about gm b-body brakes you will find a couple sites that have an upgrade for the cutlass that uses the bigger b-body rotors. is that a 71 and up rotor

again guys thanks for ALL of your help i really appreciate it !!!
I have a Hollander's interchange manual. It does not list a direct replacement. The 65-70 B-body cars used three different combinations of inner and outer wheel bearing diameters, which is part of the problem.
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM

My son repacked the wheel bearings on my 70 88 late last year, and told me the rotors were good, well, as time goes by I will have to replace them. So To the original poster (if you read this) when you find a source, please post it, I tried rockauto, seem to have everything else but the rotor.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM

check the specs on the rotors

my rotors look like they have alot of metal left also but they are below spec to have turned!!!! they may look good but may be like mine to low to turn
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM

b-body blues

just did a search for gm b-body and found a list of the b- body cars thought it was interesting to know all the vehicles on this chassis
http://www.supercarx.com/articles/sp...M%20B-body.htm
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

just did a search for gm b-body and found a list of the b- body cars thought it was interesting to know all the vehicles on this chassis
http://www.supercarx.com/articles/sp...M%20B-body.htm
All of which unfortunately doesn't help much, since in the 65-70 time frame, the B-body cars used two different wheel bolt circles and four different combinations of inboard and outboard wheel bearing diameters. An Impala brake rotor may or may not fit the Olds.
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:04 PM

70 88

yeah i figured as much but was hoping that it might help a little also thought it was cool to see all the b-body that were somewhat common for the new guys also..
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I hate to be captain obvious here, but If you never turn your rotors they won't get out of spec. Unless you mess them up really bad by having a pad fall out or something. You'll get used to the hop if they get warped

I've had the same pair of rotors on a car for 9 years, just repack and re pad every year. Granted, it is not an everyday driver, but I assume an ol' 1970 Isn't going to be a daily driver either.
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:35 AM

rotors

i agree with that but mine have been on my car since i bought it in 1992
and dont know how long they were on it before i bought it
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

One of our drawbacks of being Delta guys and not Cutlass guys. I hope you find something.
Perhaps we could modify an existing common rotor, and have it machined to match yours? I would challenge a local high school or college machine shop with this project. You could get your custom rotors, the teacher could get a free lesson plan idea, and the kids would learn.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:08 PM

Have you tried Stainless Steel Brakes. They make a conversion kit for your car. I have a a '69 88 I am considering converting drum to disc. I talked to them some time ago and they have a kit for conversions. Perhaps they could help yo: http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/det...ight&year=1970
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:53 AM
"me somebody" site member

I wouldn't doubt that a conversion kit might be made, but it would likely mean EVERYTHING from the spindles to the hub would have to be changed out. And one thing to consider is that the speedometer cable on these cars is driven off the driver's side wheel. Something tells me that functionality might be lost with a conversion kit if it were even available. Just one more complication...
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
...the speedometer cable on these cars is driven off the driver's side wheel. Something tells me that functionality might be lost with a conversion kit if it were even available. Just one more complication...
That's right, the transmission I am using in my project was originally in a '69 Delat 4 Dr sedan and I now must figure a different way to operate the speedometer since the housing has no access for speedo cable drive and the spindle on the '46 has no hole for the cable (never mind the ratio is probably wrong for the actual meter itself).
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
Freedom Fighter

At least the dialog is opening more options. This is a modification thats on my 'wish' list too.
Found this info for my 67 Delt 88:
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/det...ight&year=1967

Of special note: Does not work with power brake booster (kit comes with its own dual master cylinder)

Dear Santa..................
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

I am familar with the problem. I too have some of the big "Girls." I had a complete set of good disc brakes set-up but I sold them because I know no-one makes rotors. My drum brakes are rebuilt and they stop pretty good. My 98 comes through the traps @100mph's. You can change over to drum brakes. Least u can get parts and drive your car. I have an extra drum brake set-up. Ken
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM

disc brakes

i talked to you about the rotors you had but at the time i was laid off and cash fell short at the time i wish i had it the most.

the biggest thing i think of with the COMPLETE change (upper lowers spindles)is what about the fact that we are rear steer cars????

I am going to do some deep digging tomorrow on the phone maybe i will get somewhere with someone. I will definitly let everyone know what i find out.
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM

pulled up from the dusty basement

ok i found the ssbc brake kit and am considering it, kenny bill ill need to talk with ya see if you have any still.
also found a spindle in jegs that is set up for mostly mustang II uppper and lower but i am going into napa to compare ball joints and see if there is a possible way to use them they have a reversible steering arm for rear steer

kennybill if you have and drum rotors let me know how much thank you

Brian
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM

ok i found the ssbc brake kit and am considering it, kenny bill ill need to talk with ya see if you have any still.
also found a spindle in jegs that is set up for mostly mustang II uppper and lower but i am going into napa to compare ball joints and see if there is a possible way to use them they have a reversible steering arm for rear steer

kennybill if you have and drum rotors let me know how much thank you

Brian
what you come up with?
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM

haha read your post first and posted in it have not come up with anything it is going to be a project that will be lots of money and time but will end up with new uppers and lowers, spindles and an airbag set up. of course this will be custom!! went and found an interchange manual and all the way up to the frame is 69-70 ONLY we are screwed till it happens
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM

haha read your post first and posted in it have not come up with anything it is going to be a project that will be lots of money and time but will end up with new uppers and lowers, spindles and an airbag set up. of course this will be custom!! went and found an interchange manual and all the way up to the frame is 69-70 ONLY we are screwed till it happens
Well I was trying to find a lower cost fix but looks like I'm going this route http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM

that kit is probably for drum brake and i already have disc and the spindle is different hope that works for you

another thing is dont think that a 71 and up is the same because of the name and b body classification because they are not at all
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Kjr442

I have a 70 Delta custom that came with hd police suspension and h.d. brakes. this is sounding kind of bad.
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Just went through all the posts, I have a 73 delta convertable and thought those parts might have been the same as my 70 delta 2 door parts car. I would like to sell what is left of my car and not scrap it. So far all I have sold are the front fenders and grill assembly, and used the 350 engine in my car. Let me know If things I have might work for someone. Jim at Snowking49690@yahoo.com.
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 73DeltaJim
Just went through all the posts, I have a 73 delta convertable and thought those parts might have been the same as my 70 delta 2 door parts car.
They are not. the full size cars were similar for 1965-1970 and then changed for the 1971-1976 model years.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

So... so far as we all know at this time there are no replacement rotors for the 67-70 big Olds, right?

Bummer. I have a nice set of disc brake spindles and backing plates I was saving to do an OEM swap on my '68 convertible. I used the SSBC kit on my '67 coupe and it works well but I wanted a more factory look for the convertible. I was also hoping not to have to use the power booster.

BTW, someone mentioned not being able to use the original power booster with the SSBC kit. This is not accurate despite what SSBC says. I used the kit's supplied master cylinder with my original booster. It does result in a "touchy" pedal feel, but I got used to it quickly and have had no problems with this setup.
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Kjr442

I found a set of disc brakes on a 69 delta today , I pulled the rotors and calipers I think I will go back and get the spindles. This is the same as the 1970, right?
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Right, 69 & 70 are the same, single piston caliper style.
67 & 68 used 4-piston calipers.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM

if someone have a solution pleace tell me.

i only found http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A129-13/?rtype=10 from summit.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by D Appeldorn
if someone have a solution pleace tell me.

i only found http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A129-13/?rtype=10 from summit.
Too expensive check these guys out http://www.scarebird.com/ .
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM

Since I dont need the rotor,caliper, spindles, or any other front suspension parts from my 70 olds 2 door delta 88 parts car, I will sell them if someone needs them. I have a few other parts that were from a driving car when I began to part it out. The brakes were great when I stopped driving it, let me know what the tollerances are for the rotors so I can let anyone interested in them know the life left. Feel free to call 231 883 3599 or email snowking49690@yahoo.com.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM

i do not have the drum spindles,

i have already disk as front brake, so i seek a solution to change the disk
same as russel.

does anybody know how to get data to make the disk? by c&c etc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 70 delta 88 custom