column to floor shift conversion

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
72 cutlass 4 door

column to floor shift conversion

im new to these forums and came on to see if i can get some advice.
i have a 1972 cutlass 4 door with a 350 2bbl and a three speed automatic on the column. i was wondering how difficult it is to convert the column shift to a ratchet style floor shift, also where would i go to get the parts to make the switch. and if i did change out the transmission which one would be the best replacement. thanks for any advice i can get.
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Smile good idea

actually its not very hard at all. and if your thinking about replacing the transmission i would recommend a turbo hydromatic 350. thats whats in it already. they are great transmissions and can handle a built 350 easily. anyways im doing the same thing to my 69 cutlass 4-door. it really depends on how detailed you want it to look. the easiest way to do it, is get a B and M unimatic shifter. cut a hole in your floor and do all the mounting work. then knock the pin out of the column shifter and pull that shifter lever out and take off the linkage. thats what im doing to mine. but if you want it to look like a factory floor shift car, which the 4-doors didn't come with so you wont fool a pro lol. then you will need to take the steering column out and get a casing that came from a floor shift car, to get rid of the piece that rotates on the column, then you will need to replace the speedometer to get rid of the gear indicator. then get a stock shifter/console which is hard to find, and put that in too. and you dont need to get a unimatic from b and m. you can get w/e you want, just the unimatic model is made to fit just about anything. gm being the biggest. and they are super easy to install. its also cable operated, so just undo your old linkage, hook up the cable, bolt the shifter to your floor and thats basically it. i recommend almost any b and m just because they are easier to install, otherwise hurst has a great selection of shifters also that might fit your fancy better. good luck
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
72 cutlass 4 door

other options

could i use a b&m megashifter to do the job or would that require extra work. and also do the shift improver kits work well. again thanks for any advice you can give me.