71 Cutlass Supreme Seat Restoration

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

71 Cutlass Supreme Seat Restoration

Well to give you all an update, when I purchased my 71 Supreme two months ago, I knew that it needed some work here and there but the most glaring cosmetic issue was the front seat. (I'm not complaining since this needed less work than my 69 did)
IMG_0958.jpg?t=1262495298

It was ripped right in the driver's seat but also starting to crack on other areas as well.
IMG_0941.jpg?t=1262495533

I put a front seat on my list for Santa this year and it arrived a couple of days ago. (I guess he couldn't fit it on his sleigh because it arrived late and with Fedex instead)
IMG_0968.jpg?t=1262495597

So stay tuned and I will post pics on the progress.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you have not seen Rob's (Lady72nRob71) thread about redoing the interior in his 72, you need to check it out. It is excellent and tells any and everything you need to know. He also used Legendary interior.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks I did see Rob's interior thread and got some good information off of it. I wouldn't mind putting in seat heaters as well but I'll have to save that for a future project. I've done interior restorations before, but it's been a while. Fortunately, Legendary does provide good clear directions on how to make this installation as straightforward as possible.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM

WooHoo! Someone is going to have fun!! Their instructions are simple! "Remove old covers, replace foam, install new covers!"

If you are doing it yourself, start with the back seat to build confidence & experience, as it is easier to do. I heard you will need a couple kids to sit on it as you are hog ringing it down. I could have done mine seat, but I chose not to try....

Do you have the front bench or buckets? The buckets shouls be easier. The bench with armrest (like mine) would be the most difficult.

Use medium density foam on the bottoms and new burlap over the springs.
If you take your time and photo as you go, you should have no problems!
Keep us posted!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
GM Enthusiast

WooHoo! Someone is going to have fun!! Their instructions are simple! "Remove old covers, replace foam, install new covers!"
You forgot the ice cold 6 pack is mandatory as well.

If you are doing it yourself, start with the back seat to build confidence & experience, as it is easier to do. I heard you will need a couple kids to sit on it as you are hog ringing it down. I could have done mine seat, but I chose not to try....

Do you have the front bench or buckets? The buckets shouls be easier. The bench with armrest (like mine) would be the most difficult.
Fortunately, the rear seat is mint so I chose not to replace it.

I do have the same seat as yours, so lucky me.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Registered

I could of showed you how to fix those seats for a lot cheaper, but since Santa paid.

It comes in black too.

Seat heaters are easy.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
GM Enthusiast

I started working on getting the seat out of the car this morning. I figured it would be easier to disassemble the seat backs and arm rest in the car and remove them individually. It seemed like a good idea until I tried to remove the seat pivot covers. They were stuck on and were a real pain in the @$$ to get off.

I used pump pliers to break them free and get them moving. Then I had to pry them off using a couple of flat bladed putty knives on either side and two screwdrivers. I also used duct tape to cover the seat side chrome mouldings to prevent them from getting scratched and the putty knives to keep them from getting pry marks. Took me an hour but I finally got both sides off. Sorry, didn't take pictures of me getting them off but here's a picture of the seat base:
IMG_0954.jpg?t=1262535254

I only found 22 cents, some old candy, a match book and a pen cap. No good treasure here.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
You forgot the ice cold 6 pack is mandatory as well.
I could not recommend that until I figured out what seats you have. Since you have the bench with armrest, better plan on a 30 pack!

Best thing to do is do the backs separately (they come off easily) first to build experience. A thin layer of extra foam may be needed to firm it up, providing yours id not all deteriorated.

The armrest could be tricky - just pay close attention on how it comes apart. A little sewing might be needed.

OH - DO NOT lose the pivot caps for the backs! These are not repro'ed and will need to be reused (or glued onto new retainer rings).

The bottom will prolly need all new foam. Defineltely new burlap over the springs. Check the side springs to verify none are broken.
You will need to reuse the seat belt hole trim pieces, so try not to break them. Holes will need to be cut for them - do that towards the end. I might have extra pics of mine apart. If you think they will help ya, I can post em.

Are you installing new carpet?

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Seat heaters are easy.

Save that method for the jap cars...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 3rd, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:11 AM
GM Enthusiast

I could of showed you how to fix those seats for a lot cheaper, but since Santa paid.

It comes in black too
The thought crossed my mind but since I'm a glutton for punishment, I figured I'll torture myself!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:15 AM
GM Enthusiast

OH - DO NOT lose the pivot caps for the backs! These are not repro'ed and will need to be reused (or glued onto new retainer rings).
They are safe and sound Rob, but one of them did get a little marked up from the pliers. They were stuck on really bad, could not believe how difficult they were to remove.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM

They were stuck on really bad, could not believe how difficult they were to remove.
My trim guy said the same thing.
The bad thing is that these are one-time-use items. You will need to use a standard bare locking ring and then you can glue the original caps over them like I did.
If you are VERY lucky, you might be able to repair the old ones to make them lock on again. If course keep safety in mind. If uncertain how well they are repaired, use the new ring and glue method. The last thing you want is the seat back coming lose when driving...
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

Center Console

The center console wasn't in bad shape but still needed to be done anyway. The new vinyl was much softer than the old one. Once I undid the four bolts, removed the metal brackets and took the staples out, it was ready to come off. I turned the cover down and pulled it over, kinda like peeling a banana. It just slipped off.

IMG_0943.jpg?t=1262548330

IMG_0942.jpg?t=1262548387

The new one went on relatively very easily. (I kept it near the heat vent in the room to make it extra soft.) A few staples and it was ready to go back together.
IMG_0971.jpg?t=1262548788

IMG_0972.jpg?t=1262548875

On to the seat backs next.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
GM Enthusiast

The bottom will prolly need all new foam. Defineltely new burlap over the springs. Check the side springs to verify none are broken.
You will need to reuse the seat belt hole trim pieces, so try not to break them. Holes will need to be cut for them - do that towards the end. I might have extra pics of mine apart. If you think they will help ya, I can post em.
Thanks Rob for the advice and offer for more pictures, I'll let you know.

Are you installing new carpet?
The carpeting is really in good shape with no wear spots so I am going to leave it alone and just give it a good cleaning. That's the great thing about black, kinda hard to tell if it has any stains.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM

Wow - it sounds pretty easy to do, given your explanations... No cussing involved either.

Hey - your new armrest has the correct seam in the middle! Mine does not and that is about the only thing non-original looking on mine., I guess they are constantly improving!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
GM Enthusiast

Wow - it sounds pretty easy to do, given your explanations... No cussing involved either.
Well, maybe a little cussing, but I have to watch my potty mouth with a 3 and 6 year old helping me!

Here's a detail shot of the seat before taking it apart:
IMG_0949.jpg?t=1262564281

Once the headrest and trim was off, the seat cover came off the same way as the armrest, I just peeled it back about halfway down and it came right off:
IMG_0950.jpg?t=1262564374

With date coding! Think that is worth something to someone on ebay?
The original foam looks great and does not look like it needs any extra padding or replacement.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM

Looking good so far. My back foam looked okay too. My trim guy steamed it to "revitalize" it and he added another 1/2" thick layer of foam in the front to make up for deterioration of the old foam. If it felt firm enough for you before, then it is probably okay to reinstall as is. If you want some lumbar support for your back, make a small cushion with firm foam and insert at the bottom of the back. I like how mine came out this way.

Keep it up!

BTW, those date codes can be worth a lot on evil bay - someone might want to sew them into a repro set of covers so they can sell them off as NOS...
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

I was able to get back to work on the interior today and finished the seat backs.

Passenger side:
IMG_0982.jpg?t=1262749615

Drivers side:
IMG_0983.jpg?t=1262749670

IMG_0984.jpg?t=1262749721

IMG_0985.jpg?t=1262749826

IMG_0986.jpg?t=1262749878

Once I got the covers pulled over the seat, I stretched it out about 1/2" more and tightened the hog rings around the seat cover base and attached it to the frame. They came out great and do not have any wrinkles. Really not that difficult but you do give your hands and arms a workout.

The seat base is next, hopefully I'll get that finished tomorrow night.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:49 AM

This is some good info! I will be doing this to my convertible before too long!

John
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Looking good!

Originally Posted by Eightupman
This is some good info! I will be doing this to my convertible before too long!

John
X2 Along with the rest of the interior. Good to see someone from SC here.

Robert
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Wow - you are rolling right along with very few issues! Keep it up! I am thinking I could have done my seats myself! Of course the trim guy sandblasted and painted the frames and wore out his hands and fingers... My dumb dynamat installation wore out mine.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks Robert and John. I did not stop and take a lot of photos of disassembly and reassembly because it was relatively straightforward. The key is to get the material soft (like putting it over a heat vent in the house) and that makes it a lot easier to get it to do what you want it to do. Once I got the seat back covers on, the only real adjustment was making sure the piping on each corner was aligned properly and then attaching the hog rings.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
GM Enthusiast

Wow - you are rolling right along with very few issues! Keep it up! I am thinking I could have done my seats myself! Of course the trim guy sandblasted and painted the frames and wore out his hands and fingers... My dumb dynamat installation wore out mine.
I'm sure you could have done them if you wanted to. It mostly takes time, patience and a few beers. I was lucky with the seat frames because they were like brand new with no rust on them. BTW, I am going to look for the build sheet in my car later today. Was yours under the carpeting and if so, where? Thanks!
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Nice Job I found my build sheet on top of the gas tank, and your's could be anywhere, or not there at all.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM

I am going to look for the build sheet in my car later today. Was yours under the carpeting and if so, where? Thanks!
My sheet was under the carpet, under the seat, right in front of the left front seatbelt retractor. I found it after taking off the sill plate and lifting the carpet up. It was nasty looking, but intact.
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:49 PM
GM Enthusiast

I started working on the seat base tonight. Took off all the hardware and started to remove the old hog rings:

I removed the seat belt sleeves very carefully so they did not crack. I squeezed them from under the seat and pulled them through the top. The burlap under the seat was still excellent and does not need to be replaced:
IMG_0961.jpg?t=1262835648

Some detail shots as to how it is attached:

IMG_0959.jpg?t=1262835873

IMG_0963.jpg?t=1262835974
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

An update, I washed all the seatbelts in Tide (Thanks Rob for the tip), didn't look that bad before but boy was that water dirty. Came out looking brand new:
IMG_0975.jpg?t=1262916663
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:29 AM

You are doing great - keep it up! I am amazed to see your burlap in such good shape. Mine was so deteriorated that touching it would make it fall apart. The springs cut through the foam and I was about sitting on the floor! Your car was prolly in cooler climates for more of its life.
Glad the tide cleaned up the belts - hard to see dirt on black! They do look new again alright...
Looks like the seatback studs can use some derusting; a tiny tad of grease there upon final reassembly will prevent squeaks.
If mine looked as good as yours, i might have taken a crack at it myself. You are making it look too easy!
As soon as you are done, I bet you will change your mind and want to do the back seat, too...
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
GM Enthusiast

Looks like the seatback studs can use some derusting; a tiny tad of grease there upon final reassembly will prevent squeaks.
It must be the way the picture was taken because they actually do not have any rust on them.

Your car was probably in cooler climates for more of its life.
It was in Kentucky and Indiana for all of it's life. When the original owner died in 1981, it stayed in a garage until 2002. That's why most stuff is pretty well preserved.

Thanks for the complements, I appreciate it.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

I started to reassemble the seat base tonight. The frame did not need to be cleaned up as it only had minor surface rust. I tightened up the springs to reduce minor sagging. The original foam is not bad, but I am going to add about 1/2 of extra foam to make it slightly firmer. Here's the base with the cover attached to the back already:
IMG_0964.jpg?t=1263002681
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:55 AM
GM Enthusiast

I got the extra foam and trimmed it to size. Then I needed a helper to hold down the seat cover for my while I tightened down the hog rings. I told my helper that I needed her to stand on the seat frame, but instead she preferred this position:

IMG_0967.jpg?t=1263055876

Oh well, hope to get it done sometime today!
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Looks great! Fine looking helper too. I have a 2.5 yr old that will be "helping" me.

I tightened up the springs to reduce minor sagging.
How did you do this? I want to firm my seat up a little too. My seat seems to sag some, esp on the drivers side, I suspect it's a combination of the foam and the springs. I'll know when I get it opened up.

Any tricky spots on the base install? Looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Robert
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Darrell, looks like you might have a future model in the family - she is adorable... All dressed up and posing nicely!

Originally Posted by we jeep inn
How did you do this? I want to firm my seat up a little too. My seat seems to sag some, esp on the drivers side, I suspect it's a combination of the foam and the springs. I'll know when I get it opened up.
How did you adjust the springs? I did not know you could...

Robert, take a look under your seat. If the burlap is deteriorated and torn, the springs will cut through the foam. That happened to mine and I was about sitting on the floor. I thought the springs were shot, but they were fine.

To firm it up, add more foam on top of your stuff (if it is not too far gone) 1/2 at a time until you get the firmness you want. If yours is too bad to reuse, use 4-5" of new foam but use the medium density foam. The firm black stuff is wayy too stiff.
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
GM Enthusiast

I had the cushion out and carefully lifted up the burlap. I tightened up the springs with pump pliers and squeezed the spring steel a closer together under the driver's seat. I didn't go overboard, just enough to make it a little firmer. I had the cushion out and carefully lifted up the burlap.
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:06 AM
GM Enthusiast

Here's the finished seat base. Always fun to poke holes in your new seat cover when you put the hardware back in. I am pretty happy with the results:
IMG_0969.jpg?t=1263063832

IMG_0970.jpg?t=1263063882
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
GM Enthusiast

Darrell, looks like you might have a future model in the family - she is adorable... All dressed up and posing nicely!
Thanks Rob. She was a pretty good helper, even though I caught her sleeping on the job!

IMG_0974.jpg?t=1263064241

Kinda hard to put everything back together when people are using your car seat pieces as a pillow.
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM

good job looks nice. You have a cute helper
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Looks like that armrest serves another good purpose... I guess she wore herself out laying on that cushion...
Those seatbelt grommets sure look huge without the seatbacks and belts in place! They stand out on black.
Overall a fabulous job! You saved yourself at least 200 bucks in labor so use that for a few cases of beer and a perhaps a real pillow for your helper...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 9th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM
GM Enthusiast

good job looks nice. You have a cute helper
Thanks Pat. Overall it was not that difficult of a job to do as long as you have patience and time. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the beer!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Registered Luser

Nice Work Darrell

I haven't been around for a couple months and all heck breaks loose! Awesome work! Now I know who to call for interior work! Can't wait to see this beauty....your little girl is adorable too!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks Erik! It was a lot of work but I am happy with the way it turned out.

Quick Reply: 71 Cutlass Supreme Seat Restoration