what is the difference

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2006, 06:52 AM

what is the difference

HI. I am looking at a 1971 Cutlass Supreme, at least that is what the seller is telling me it is. It has an S on the front between the grilles. I have looked at a lot of pictures of 71 cutlass supremes and the look different than the car I am looking at. Is the a difference between Supreme's and S model. the body looks like the 69 and 70 models. IS there a way to decode the VIN to be sure what model it is? It has a 350 2 bbl single exhaust
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM

You should find a lot of info for whatever olds at www.442.com and click on FAQ. good luck....................... I have a 1969 olds cutlass S
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

There was not an 'S' in the stoneshield originally. All 1971 Cutlass and F-85 had a rocket.

And watch yourself on 442.bomb. There's a LOT of misinformation there.

C.J.
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by texasred
There was not an 'S' in the stoneshield originally. All 1971 Cutlass and F-85 had a rocket.

And watch yourself on 442.bomb. There's a LOT of misinformation there.

C.J.
Our 71' Has the "S" not the rocket. It came from the factory with it. It is an S and not a supreme. Besides the rear quarters, im not sure what the other differance's are between the two.
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Yeah, the rear quarter is where I notice the difference. So chances are it is not a supreme, but an 'S' model.
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM

If you have the VIN , the first 5 numbers should be : 34257(for hardtop)The rear quarters are a telltale sign as well.
Chumley
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by smason
Our 71' Has the "S" not the rocket. It came from the factory with it. It is an S and not a supreme. Besides the rear quarters, im not sure what the other differance's are between the two.
WOW! I've got sales literature that shows it without an 'S'. *shrug* Ya learn something new every day...if you are lucky.

C.J.
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM

WOW! I've got sales literature that shows it without an 'S'. *shrug* Ya learn something new every day...if you are lucky.

C.J.
The car has been in the family since new and its never been changed. Could it possibly be a canadian thing? I have the original pics from 71' somewhere too. I'll double check those too. You never know i guess.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I looked at my illustrated parts book and found an 'S' for the stoneguard on the Cutlass S. I took another look at the sales book (with a magnifying glass). Guess what I found? An 'S'!

Gentlemen, I stand...errr...sit corrected. May I plead blindness? Can somebody get me some Olds books in Braille? A white cane would match my white top and interior.

C.J.

P.S. I guess 442.bomb isn't the only thing filled with misinformation.
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I looked at my illustrated parts book and found an 'S' for the stoneguard on the Cutlass S. I took another look at the sales book (with a magnifying glass). Guess what I found? An 'S'!

Gentlemen, I stand...errr...sit corrected. May I plead blindness? Can somebody get me some Olds books in Braille? A white cane would match my white top and interior.

C.J.

P.S. I guess 442.bomb isn't the only thing filled with misinformation.
Everyone makes mistakes! I have just recently in the last few years, got to know this paticular car quite well. Up here(canada) the s is harder to find. Most people try to make them 442 clones. What kind of sales book is it that you were looking at? I would be interested in finding one myself for the collection.
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

It's 2 salesman books. One has the entire 1971 Oldsmobile lineup, including all ortions, trim levels, and the "all new" features for 1971. The other has paint chips, color swatches and interior/exterior combinations. Found it on ebay for $30.

C.J.
C.J.