73-77 Cut. Towing hitch pics/ info

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2016, 08:10 AM

73-77 Cut. Towing hitch pics/ info

Hi.

I would be in need of 73-77 Cutlass towing hitch pics and any info you can pass. Im in need of one, but of course noone is available there, and sending one would cost enormous amount versus what it does cost to craft one yourself.

Plus crafting it myself i can get permissible towable weight By clever reading of our laws up to 5380lbs..
No sense, but wouldnt need to worry never what to tow with it. Using would be mild, but it would be much nicer to go to summer cottage with this than my daily driver, with a trailer behind.

So, pics about ones sold for it are highly appreciated, and any info like where it was attached ( i quess that crossbar was mounted to frame-rail ends between rear-bumper attaching "pawls".

Thanks.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think you'll have a hard time finding exact specifications for a hitch for that car these days. It's not something that the commercial hitch manufacturers (such as UHaul, Draw-Tite, and Reese) would list anymore, and it's not something that's in demand among collectors or restorers.

Your best bet would probably be to construct a hich yourself using square-section tubing and quarter inch plate, and/or using a kit designed to custom-fit to RVs.

You are right that the hitch would be expected to bolt onto the rear frame horns, usually using the same bolts as the rear bumper, and often fastening in at least one other place farther forward as well.

Here is an example of a motor home hitch, which can be modified to work on your car if you don't want to construct one from scratch:

Good luck!

- Eric
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:47 AM

Sorry if i expressed myself unclearly; the idea indeed is to make one By myself. If it would be commercial, i wouldnt have a change to get that 5380lbs towable weight..

Just would like to see pics of them installed on 73-77 Cutlass to see how they are attached.
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Inline
... would like to see pics of them installed on 73-77 Cutlass...
And I would like to see a dog fly.

If you are very fortunate (have you played the lottery lately?), you may find someone who actually has one of these, but I wouldn't count on it.

I would suggest looking for photos of hitches on other kinds of cars with similar construction (pretty much any American car from the '60s and '70s) and using those as a guide.

- Eric
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:34 PM

Look at the cars on the registry. I remember seeing a few with a trailer hitch somewhere. I think it was here. This is probably as good a place as any to find a hitch picture on a 73-77 Cutlass.
http://v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassregistry/
I see them on Craigslist cars occasionally. You usually get the comment about taking that "ugly" hitch off the car.
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:37 PM
72 Olds CS

There is an image of a 77 on Cutlasssalon.com w a caption that states custom built trailer hitch, maybe you can reach out to him for details
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:54 PM

I don't know, but if I had to guess, I don't think the OP is looking for simply a photo of a '73 to '77 Cutlass with a trailer hitch. In other words, he's NOT looking for a photo like this.

A photo like the above isn't going to tell him much of anything. What he wants is someone who has one of these cars with a hitch and who can get down underneath and take photos of the hitch showing how it was installed, the mounting points, etc.
Old October 28th, 2016, 05:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

When I fabricate a tow hitch for my American cars I attach them to the bumper mounts or chassis rails, with cross braces for longitudinal support. A competent welder should have little trouble making something suitable for your car.
I'm not conversant with Finlands vehicle laws, sorry, I can't help you there.

Roger.
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:35 AM

My '77 Monte Carlo had a GM branded hitch installed (no doubt, by the Dealership). It was bolted to the heavy inner bumper support member. Frames/bumper mounts are basically the same across '74-'77 GM "A" body sedans/coupes, however. Believe the '73's were lacking that massive support due to their not having the bumper shock absorbers?

I run across these "A" bodies with hitches on occasion in the salvage yards. Just spotted a wagon with one last weekend.
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Thanks for participating.

Last two comments especially enlighted how it has been done, thanks for them, appreciate.

Finnish laws are not a problem, they are clear and ready to be abused/ bended.
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Checkout the 1973 Trailer Towing Brochure (PDF). On page 9 there is a good underside pic of a trailer hitch which I think is a full size Olds. However it might give you some ideas on fabricating a hitch. Good luck.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by farmer52
Checkout the 1973 Trailer Towing Brochure (PDF). On page 9 there is a good underside pic of a trailer hitch which I think is a full size Olds.
Yes, that's a Delta, but the Cutlass is essentially the same.

That picture is pretty much what I was trying to say.

Interestingly, the factory used U-clamps instead of through bolts to attach to the frame.

I had a smaller aftermarket hitch on my Delta when I got it, and it attached under the license plate, and to a bar that went across under the gas tank in the same way.
I would think you could make a hitch that did the same thing as in the illustration, but that bolted directly to the frame.

- Eric