TWO BARREL CARB ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM

TWO BARREL CARB ISSUE

I recently replaced my two barrel with a rebuilt unit on my 71 Cutlass Supreme. Occassionally when I start the vehicle from a cold start the choke kicks in but after a few minutes the choke appears to disengage and the car stalls out. My mechanic tells me that I flood the engine and that is the reason it stalls out. I take exception to this because I punch the accelerator at the most twice before I start the vehicle and it starts perfectly at times and goes through the choke cycle. Is there something that I am doing incorrectly or does my mechanic need to make an adjustment to correct these engine stalls.

David Wyte
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM

I am unclear on what your problem is.

If you start the car and it warms up through the choke cycle but dies once it is off the fast idle cam then your idle might be set to low. Your idle mixture screws could also be set wrong since it dies once it is off of the choke circuit. Did your mechanic set the idle and idle mixture screws properly?
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wyteon
I recently replaced my two barrel with a rebuilt unit on my 71 Cutlass Supreme. Occassionally when I start the vehicle from a cold start the choke kicks in but after a few minutes the choke appears to disengage and the car stalls out. My mechanic tells me that I flood the engine and that is the reason it stalls out. I take exception to this because I punch the accelerator at the most twice before I start the vehicle and it starts perfectly at times and goes through the choke cycle. Is there something that I am doing incorrectly or does my mechanic need to make an adjustment to correct these engine stalls.

David Wyte
Sounds like the choke is opening too soon. The round black plastic choke coil can be rotated (there should be RICH and LEAN markings on it) to adjust when the choke opens.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM

TWO BARREL CARB ISSUE

Thanks for your assistance.