The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Mustang week driving question

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2015, 07:35 PM

Mustang week driving question

So I was eating dinner in front of the PC watching youtube and found a series of videos of a "Mustang Week" that apparently occurs in Myrtle Beach every year. Interesting thing was that these videos were all of the exact same stretch of road, and the idea is to tear *** out of the light by the spectators.

Some people try to drift down the road, and inevitably, the back end gets loose, they can't recover, go all over three lanes of traffic, cross the median, and hit cars waiting for the light at the other side. This is apparently a "thing" to be done; I saw at least 30 different wrecks in about 4 videos.

But, it's on dry pavement. Even with a supercharger, why can't the drivers of these cars simply lift out of it when the car starts fishtailing and recover? Are they all horrible, or am I missing something?

Here's an example.

Oh, I did miss something, there are 20 youtube videos of the same wreck from different angles it seems. Everyone videos everything these days.
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Because they are morons...
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow.

Just "Wow."

On a wide, straight, dry road. And he was on and off the gas repeatedly.

I pulled a trailer out of a skid like that, on a slick, snow-covered road; why couldn't he?

This is the problem with modern, hyper-safe cars - that guy lived and will do it again.

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:03 PM

That looks like a very familiar stretch of highway 17 (been a few years since I was in Myrtle Beach though). All I can say is that was the finest of the dumbest! Whatever they are doing (someone mentioned "drifting") makes no sense... How the heck can they lose control so bad and not recover? I know I would be beating the $@&% out of someone if I was just sitting at a light and got hit by an idiot coming sideways over the medial! Something tells me they are too stupid to care...
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:51 PM

Total and complete lack of any skill behind the wheel.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:25 AM

I am with you, shatrab. Any video of someone losing it and then hitting me would continue with a video of an asswhupping, freestyle, tools of nearby opportunity allowed.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:16 AM
Oldsdruid

You can find the same thing with Vettes and Camaros, so it's not totally a pony punk thing.

Eric has brought up a good point. Modern cars are safer than what we cut our teeth on, but you still have to figure idiot into the equation.

I stay away from Myrtle Beach since leaving a hundred dollar fine there in the mid 70s. Yes, I was showing my ***, but they run a money racket down there. When the young bucks leave here every year for Senior Week, I remind them Myrtle Beach cops love an out-of-town boy's money. I've wired a few of them some money over the years to get them out of jail for stupid stuff too. I've noticed that once the fine is paid, it's over. That's why they call me, so their folks don't get wind of it. And I get a summer's worth of car washes, wax jobs and lawn work!

One of them is a Virginia State Trooper now, and he says (only half jokingly) if he pulls anyone from MB over, they're gonna leave some money in the Commonwealth!
Old July 2nd, 2015, 02:36 PM

Can you see the carnage if one of these idiots got behind the wheel of a manual drum braked, big block, manual steered car of the 60s? (Hemi Belvedere etc.) Some peeps don't deserve cars of that caliper, and we all pay the insurance rates for these idjits.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 05:44 PM
Administrator

What does that have to do with it, have you driven some of these mustangs? That same kid could have easily done the same thing with one of todays 6 cylinders. You can't fix this special kind of stupid.