The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

How To Ruin Your Day At A Car Show

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM

How To Ruin Your Day At A Car Show

This happened Wednesday at a car show in Cypress, CA.
HPIM5292.jpg
HPIM5293.jpg
HPIM5294.jpg
HPIM5296.jpg
HPIM5297.jpg
HPIM5299.jpg
HPIM5300.jpg
HPIM5302.jpg
HPIM5305.jpg
HPIM5308.jpg
HPIM5310.jpg

I'm glad that no one was sitting in the passenger side of the Pontiac!

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; June 16th, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM

Geez.... I would like to know why and how this happened.
I bet her insurance will not cover all the costs. I hope the classics were well insured (and I bet they were).
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I bet her insurance will not cover all the costs.
Ha ha! How did you know that it was a woman driver? It was, I just didn't include her picture.

Jaybird
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

YUCH!!!!

What's truly amazing is the amount of damage to 'old iron' and the incredibly small visible damage to the silver (Honda???). How the heck did those 2 old cars manage to slam sideways into an improperly parked car is beyond me >>>> The Poncho looks like a total write-off. Too bad
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow.

That would have had me somewhat annoyed had I been the owner of that car.

I would love to hear the "explanation" for why it happened.

- Eric
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:12 PM

I'd like to know how the collision took place as well. As you can see by this photo, her car didn't receive very much damage. Her airbag didn't even go off!
HPIM5309.jpg

Jaybird
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Ha ha! How did you know that it was a woman driver? It was, I just didn't include her picture.

Jaybird
Funny...I seemed to know too. How old was she?
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM

She looks to be an Asian woman around 45 to 55.

HPIM5307.jpg

Jaybird
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/wa

She looks to be an Asian woman around 45 to 55.

Jaybird
Not Surprised its an Asian Woman.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM

Alrighty then........
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:31 PM

She does look like the whole world just fell on her shoulders...
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
Alrighty then........
I'm saying that because I have had many bad experiences on the road and most of the time the other person was an Asian driver.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
"Car"mudgeon

WTF??? Did she let the Lexus get away from her or what? The Poncho has had it I think.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM

She hurt her wrist too! Damn!

HPIM5295.jpg

Jaybird
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Ok now I feel really sorry for this Women and the owners of the other 2 cars.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by theoldsrocket
Ok now I feel really sorry for this Women and the owners of the other 2 cars.
Yup... Me too! It sucks to be them. S__t happens. I'd still like to know how this collision occurred.

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; June 16th, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM

The city I live in borders Cypress (the city of said incident).... Not surprised AT ALL. Its what happens when all it takes is $10 to get a drivers license in your state. And though some of the comments here may sound bigoted, the city I live in supposedly has the highest concentration of vietnamese people outside of HO CHI MIN (SAIGON) CITY... and I can attest it is unfortunately one of the more accurate generalities.
If it were me, I think "mad" would be a severe understatement...
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM

I'm saying that because I have had many bad experiences on the road and most of the time the other person was an Asian driver.
So have I, and I like to analize things. Are Asian driver and East Indian drivers really any worse than anyone else, or are they just more identifiable? Or perhaps if they are immigrants, they learned how to drive on the left and now must drive on the right. I think it may be a bit of both with identifiable winning out. We all do it. We to them and them to us. Part of human nature I guess.
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
The city I live in borders Cypress (the city of said incident).... Not surprised AT ALL. Its what happens when all it takes is $10 to get a drivers license in your state. And though some of the comments here may sound bigoted, the city I live in supposedly has the highest concentration of vietnamese people outside of HO CHI MIN (SAIGON) CITY... and I can attest it is unfortunately one of the more accurate generalities.
If it were me, I think "mad" would be a severe understatement...
That happens here too. The province shut down several "driving schools" when "instructors" were offering a passing grade to members of their community for a "special fee".
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM

Are Asian driver and East Indian drivers really any worse than anyone else.
442much... Good questions. I've heard of the stereotypes before as well.

Is it... because they are simply newly licensed drivers? That is what I always wondered.

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; June 16th, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM

looks like she came in up high on the door. 66-67's don't have side impact beams in the doors do they?

damn shame.
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Certifiable car addict...

We've seen a LARGE influx of foreign nationals here in town in the last 4-5 years. Seems that since we're a large university with budget problems, we're getting a lot of overseas applicants here for an education now.

I've heard of a lot of bizarre stories involving driving incidents since that's become more prevalent.

There's apparently an 18 y/o kid here that just moved into town as a college freshman from overseas. Barely speaks English. He went out and bought a 40K BMW M3, spent another 20K on wheels/tires/upgrades, and he apparently can barely drive a stick. He drove it over the parking blocks at a local oil change shop and ripped his front ground effects off and the oil pan after backing it BACL over the blocks to try and get it unstuck and away from making another garage bay door into a parts room.

There have also been several low-speed police chases where the drivers did not pull over because they "didn't know" that they were supposed to when there was a cop behind them with flashing lights & siren going.

I'm not sure if it's because they are plain ignorant, or playing stupid and hoping that they can get out of it because they weren't familiar with the local laws/customs/etc.

For the most part, I've heard that they don't cut foreigners any slack if they are doing dumb **** anymore. The locals and law enforcement were going easy on them for a while, but since it now happens over and over, they have just given themselves a bad name with everyone here unfortunately. It's not all of them either, but a few behaving badly spoils everyone's opinion.

-Jeff

Last edited by GTI_Guru; June 18th, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:06 PM

Hrmmm a terrible asian women drive never seen one of those before..............

LOL @ you all up in her grill getting pics of her ROFL
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:09 PM

So have I, and I like to analize things. Are Asian driver and East Indian drivers really any worse than anyone else, or are they just more identifiable? Or perhaps if they are immigrants, they learned how to drive on the left and now must drive on the right. I think it may be a bit of both with identifiable winning out. We all do it. We to them and them to us. Part of human nature I guess.
I'm East Indian and I'll tell you that the ones that are immigrants don't drive that well. Also I'm the only East Indian that appreciates classics and drives one around where I live.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM

I'm East Indian and I'll tell you that the ones that are immigrants don't drive that well. Also I'm the only East Indian that appreciates classics and drives one around where I live.
Oh.....you sounded a little taller on the internet.... I work with an East Indian...right from the old country...Britain. He also loves classic muscle cars. If we ever meet, ask me to do my east Indian accent. When I was in India I did the accent in front of my agent. His eyes got big and he said "I swear, you sound like you come from central India."
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM

I'm 5'11 not that short for an East Indian . We have no Olds car shows down here, let me know if their are any would love to bring my car down. We have an Oldsmobile club here in Vancouver but they never responded when I tried to contact them.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM

I'm 5'11 not that short for an East Indian . We have no Olds car shows down here, let me know if their are any would love to bring my car down. We have an Oldsmobile club here in Vancouver but they never responded when I tried to contact them.
The BC club is having a car show in Noth Vancouver on Sunday if they haven't set it on fire. Call 604-415-0973 for information. If they don't answer, you're welcome to join our club and get our 26 page newsletter...classifieds too. We have members in NS, PEI, ON, MB, SK Texas and California and BC as well.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM

LOL that's pretty funny and yeah I'll give them a call.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:54 PM

LOL that's pretty funny and yeah I'll give them a call.
We are also having an Oldsmobile only show in Olds Alberta (60 miles north of Calgary) on July 16. If you're coming by this way stop by.
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Are Asian driver and East Indian drivers really any worse than anyone else, or are they just more identifiable? Or perhaps if they are immigrants, they learned how to drive on the left and now must drive on the right. I think it may be a bit of both with identifiable winning out. We all do it. We to them and them to us. Part of human nature I guess.

Ever drive in Central America? Panama City was brutal. Seeing how people drive there makes sense when people come to the US and drive.
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Jaybird
First, the type of car, second, I could see a glimps through the window of the first picture, and third, the crazy type of wreck.

Not Surprised its an Asian Woman.
Having that I have dated a lot of them, they do not drive well, but not to the point of being THAT reckless and dumb! Most of them have bad eyesight and low coordination at her age (or any age really)........
Worst wrecks I have seen here are by illegal immigrants, usually running from a drug deal or something.
However, I do see her trying to fight off the responsibility, saying that parking lot was not supposed to be there...

Her car was not damaged that much, since it launched off a curb pretty much in through that Poncho's windows. It would have been different if both cars were on the same level. This is also an example of why postless cars are really not made anymore.

She does look like the whole world just fell on her shoulders...
Well, legally, it is fixing to! Failure to contol her vehicle. Was there another car or a phone involved??
Oh - wait - its a toyota - it might have ran away from her!! http://www.safetyresearch.net/toyota...-acceleration/

I bet her insurance company is gonna be as pissed as a bear with bees in his boxers......
I also sense that her coverage may not be enough to pay for 2 classics (one totalled) and the damage to the landscaping. If the guy with the Poncho had agreed coverage of 30K, and he gets that, his ins co will collect that from her ins co, and if they wont pay, they will sue her.
Moron could have killed someone. I still want to know if her car went into runaway mode.
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:32 AM

I used to live in Quincy, MA (large asian population). We used to call this a DWA accident (Driving While Asian)
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:37 AM

Ouch.
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:02 AM

It would be interesting to know how she explained what happened. It's very fortunate that no one was standing there looking at these cars when she can tried to bring the Lexus in for a landing!! If there was, this incident would be at a comnpletely different level and she could be facing prison time.
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:14 AM

4 words

"Involuntary Attempted Vehicular Homicide"

Since she's driving a fairly late-model Lexus, I can only hope she's well off enough to have decent insurance coverage.

Unfortunately, if she's here on a green card with little/no insurance, chances are she skips back home if there's going to be serious legal trouble. Can only hope she was arrested and made to appear before a judge that will make her surrender her pasport/paperwork in order to command a court appearance.

There's no way she couldn't have been cited for this with the exception that it did not happen on a city street, and was on private property. I've seen people totally screwed over that loophole before.

-Jeff
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh. My. God.!!!! I'd like to know how that happened! Was she speeding and jumped the curb? Hard to tell if the road went straight, like behind her? She must have been going pretty fast to push those cars like that. Oh my Lord! I sure hope her insurance covers that! If she has insurance......

Maybe they ought to check that water bottle and see what is in it, lol!
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:28 AM

I suspect the guy was an illegal immirgrant that totaled Juju's Miata about 4 years ago. Slammed into the rear; she got license plate number, as he had no driver's license nor insurance (as required by the state of Texas). We ran the plate when she got home - stolen in San Antonio, I guess on his way up from south of the Rio Grande. I have multiple reasons to be opinionated on this mater; this is just one of them. No politics involved. Just needs to be fixed.
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by GTI_Guru
4 words

"Involuntary Attempted Vehicular Homicide"

Since she's driving a fairly late-model Lexus, I can only hope she's well off enough to have decent insurance coverage.
I agree with those 4 words!

BTW, you never have to be well off, or even have a job now days to drive an expensive car. All you have to do is sign papers and maybe have a friend or relative co-sign! I have known people to do that (many asian, too....) They want to "look" like they have money - which is big dallas fad.

Hopefully she does have insurance which is REAL. My lady friend lost her car due to an illegal with a fake insurance company.
The ability to easily drop insurance on a car after you buy it IS a problem...
I am 99% sure those classics are well insured. I do feel for their owners though. After all the love and work and care they put into them, it would be like losing family members.
Heck, I am fuming about it and i do not even know them!
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I agree with those 4 words!

BTW, you never have to be well off, or even have a job now days to drive an expensive car. All you have to do is sign papers and maybe have a friend or relative co-sign! I have known people to do that (many asian, too....) They want to "look" like they have money - which is big dallas fad.

Hopefully she does have insurance which is REAL. My lady friend lost her car due to an illegal with a fake insurance company.
The ability to easily drop insurance on a car after you buy it IS a problem...
I am 99% sure those classics are well insured. I do feel for their owners though. After all the love and work and care they put into them, it would be like losing family members.
Heck, I am fuming about it and i do not even know them!
That's why I put in the "can only hope" disclaimer in there.

Yeah, I know all about that scam. Ohio's a mandatory coverage state and there's a lot of people that will sign up for a 6-12 month policy with monthly payments to get the insurance card, then drop coverage immediately after the first month's payment just to keep the card in their wallet.

Pisses me off to no end, as I have regularly insured up to 5 vehicles at a time over the last 15+ years. It's not that expensive people....

-Jeff
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Look how cars are made today. The LeMans looks like it was hit by a freight train and the Lexus....like it was involved in a shopping cart incident. I love the old cars but at car shows I'll often hear people say "Wow! They don't build them like that anymore" and I say under my breath "Yeah, they build them better."

Here you don't hear too much of someone sueing someone because of a car accident where no one was hurt. An accident like this would be handled by insurance companies. However, the woman would probably be charged py police with "Undue care and attention". At least the owners of the two classics weren't hurt....physically.

Quick Reply: How To Ruin Your Day At A Car Show