The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Remember Joie Chitwood Chevy Thunder Show Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2017, 10:15 PM

Remember Joie Chitwood Chevy Thunder Show Anyone?

went through some boxes the other day and found a chitwood poster & hat, I also have a tape they released. I used to go see them at the BIG E in Massachusetts, and Williams Grove Speedway out here in Mechanicsburg Pa. any body else have used to go to their show. I think they stopped in 1999 and tim chitwood just passed away oct 15 2015. not sure what happened to the rest of the crew.
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:11 AM

I saw them at Canfield Speedway probably 1966 because they had 1965 Chevelles. The last I heard Joey Jr was running Indianapolis Speedway.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:43 PM

That's way cool I wish I could've gone all those years but I only got to go in the 90s. I did get to sit in Tim's camaro though
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:27 PM
same but different

I remember. As a little one, I thought it was amazing to see cars riding on two wheels for what seemed like for ever.

Never saw the show in person, but I remember peaking through the fence at the local fair grounds to get a look. Of course he was on tv a bunch too, back in the 70's.

His wiki page has some interesting trivia. Quite a guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joie_Chitwood
Old January 27th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Saw the show twice in the Mid-fifties. I was around 14 yrs. old and was the assistant flag man at the Capital City Speedway just outside of Lansing. Got to watch them for nothing both times. They were really something to watch, especially for a youngster.
Old March 15th, 2020, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I saw them at Canfield Speedway probably 1966 because they had 1965 Chevelles. The last I heard Joey Jr was running Indianapolis Speedway.
That's actually Joie Chitwood III, the grandson. Joie Jr and Tim were brothers. Tim died in 2015 at about 65 y.o. As far as I can see, Joie Jr is still alive at 77.
Old March 15th, 2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rod5013
Saw the show twice in the Mid-fifties. I was around 14 yrs. old and was the assistant flag man at the Capital City Speedway just outside of Lansing. Got to watch them for nothing both times. They were really something to watch, especially for a youngster.
That's really neat Rod. I heard of the Capital City Raceway but never saw it. It was about where the big sports center is now? I remember Spartan Speedway and Jackson Speedway and Onandaga Dragway. When did Capital City close? Have you ever seen Michigan Waterwonderland (Something like that) on line? They have a list of a bunch of closed racetracks from Michigan- pretty neat w/ a bunch of pics. Apologies about the thread hijack...
Old March 15th, 2020, 05:07 PM

Like the general, I used to see them @ The Big E in MA as a kid, great fun.
Old March 15th, 2020, 06:22 PM

Danbury fair in the 70's first the "Hell Drivers" then in the later years

Chitwood
and his stunt drivers—cars going through a fire barrier, cars driving on two wheels.

one quote "joie is rumored to have driven 5 miles on two wheels"
i certainly remember several trips around a 1/4 mile track not sure which joie was driving

Old March 16th, 2020, 03:39 AM

Haven't heard that name in awhile ,do remember seeing a show at the essex county fair in wesport ny.(talk about an out of the place )First time i ever saw a car driving around on 2 wheels.