The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Oldsmobile now Twinkies

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Durned fur'ners. If they'd eaten Twinkies growing up, and been about a dozen degrees of latitude further south, they'd see things differently.
I wachin yew meester reric!!

Hmmm, Here's my coordinates 53° 33' 0" N / 113° 30' 0" W. One good thing about being way up here? We don't need refrigerators!
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Billy

[QUOTE=Allan R;476625]Да, но я не американский. Почему в этом мире вы думаете, что я из России? Я даже не говорят на этом языке. Нет, мой друг, я из Канады. Эти сладкие закуски просто не были частью того, как я вырос. Просто возиться с тебя!

Hey, howd you do dat, Allan?
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Eet wuz eezy... I send you eenstrukshuns...so you kan do eet to
1. Используйте свой веб-браузера и поиска Google Translate
2. Напишите, что вы хотите в английской стороне.
3. Выберите, что вы хотите перевести в другой язык
4. Скопируйте сценарий вы получаете в другом окне и вставьте его в поток.

Надежда, что помогает!
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Lansing built

Sorry comrade Allan, I forgot that you were Canadian So my reply should have been Twinkies are Canadian like hockey, Tim Hortons and Oldsmobile!
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM

This is depressing...I have a feeling post Apocalyptic America is going to be much like it was in the movie "Zombieland" where Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) is driven by one thing...an insatiable craving for the last box of Twinkies.

Tallahassee: "There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date. Some day very soon, Life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go... empty. "
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Sorry comrade Allan, I forgot that you were Canadian So my reply should have been Twinkies are Canadian like hockey, Tim Hortons and Oldsmobile!
Now you're talking Canadian!
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM

It's funny to read through these and see the number people saying how, while they never eat them themselves, sad they are that Twinkies are disappearing. Anyone see a connection here? Hello!
Old November 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Well if you really miss twinkies, remember wally world sells a clone of them.

Based on how well they cloned the "Little Debbie" snacks, I bet they will be a perfect sub.
I am surprised there had not been any patent infringements or anything
yet.

Chances are Hostess makes them and Walmart brands them.
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM

They were a local business here in Connecticut,it's all over the local news loss of jobs from the bakery to the mechanics who kept the fleet of trucks goin. I'm hearing that they wanted to go on strike but the company decided to go belly up instead. Go figure!
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stevec
I'm hearing that they wanted to go on strike but the company decided to go belly up instead.
Who wanted to go on strike????

The baker's union (officially, the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco and Grain Millers International Union) WAS on strike, and that's what caused the belly-up-ness. Other unions involved, including the Teamsters, had already come to terms, and some of the Teamsters members were actually crossing the baker's union picket lines. That had to be an interesting sight.

This is all on the Teamsters' own website. In fact, you could pretty much say that the Teamsters threw the baker's union under the bus:

"The BCTGM chose a different path, as is their prerogative, to not substantively look for a solution or engage in the process."

http://www.teamster.org/content/team...t-vote-hostess

Last edited by jaunty75; November 17th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Heard an article on the news that some of the Hostess legacy will continue to be produced in Canada under the brand Saputo. Not sure what all they make or will carry forward
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
under the brand Saputo.
With a name like that, it's got to be good............
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Once again, people are spun up about nothing. The whole "bankruptcy" thing was a negotiation tactic by Hostess to get the union to the negotiating table. Guess what? It worked. Per today's Washington Post, bankruptcy on hold, parties in negotiation. Even if the company HAD gone away, the brand would not. Several companies were in talks to purchase many of the Hostess brands. How many people really DID pay $100 for Twinkies on ebay?
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The whole "bankruptcy" thing was a negotiation tactic by Hostess to get the union to the negotiating table.
Exactly. Many people just don't seem to understand labor (or international) negotiation.

The union going on strike was a negotiating tactic, as was the company filing for bankruptcy. The business doesn't immediately go bankrupt when the union goes on strike, nor does it do so when it files for bankruptcy.
It only goes bankrupt when a judge drops his hammer after a lengthy court case.

In this case, all of this was posturing, in the hope of getting a better position at the bargaining table. This is all just gambling, like in poker - you may raise knowing that you've got a lousy hand, to see if the other guy folds. You never know whether your bet was right until the game is over. Right now it looks like the Teamsters thought they could get the best deal by working something out ahead of time, while the Bakers, for whatever reason, though that they could do better by pushing the limit. The company called their bluff, they stood firm, and the company has now backed down and is talking to them again. In the end, it's what goes into the contract that matters, both in terms of whether it satisfies the workers, and whether it allows the company to afford to operate.
Nobody playing this game is an idiot, and all parties want the process to end with a contract that allows the doors to stay open and the workers to be happy to walk through them every day.

- Eric
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Exactly. Many people just don't seem to understand labor (or international) negotiation.

The union going on strike was a negotiating tactic, as was the company filing for bankruptcy. The business doesn't immediately go bankrupt when the union goes on strike, nor does it do so when it files for bankruptcy.
It only goes bankrupt when a judge drops his hammer after a lengthy court case.

In this case, all of this was posturing, in the hope of getting a better position at the bargaining table. This is all just gambling, like in poker - you may raise knowing that you've got a lousy hand, to see if the other guy folds. You never know whether your bet was right until the game is over. Right now it looks like the Teamsters thought they could get the best deal by working something out ahead of time, while the Bakers, for whatever reason, though that they could do better by pushing the limit. The company called their bluff, they stood firm, and the company has now backed down and is talking to them again. In the end, it's what goes into the contract that matters, both in terms of whether it satisfies the workers, and whether it allows the company to afford to operate.
Nobody playing this game is an idiot, and all parties want the process to end with a contract that allows the doors to stay open and the workers to be happy to walk through them every day.

- Eric
I am just wondering (no pun intended, wonder bread) whats Wally is going to do about it workers on this supposed black friday strike.
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As always, it's all a matter of negotiation, and of who blinks first.

Employees can't picket right in front of the store, since the parking lot is private property, but they can picket in the road in front of the entrance.
WM has to decide whether and how much damage the presence of those picketers, and the associated news coverage, will do to its profits for the big day, and whether and how much that can be improved by negotiating.
They may calculate that it won't do squat, and ignore the whole thing, or they may calculate that it would affect them adversely, and throw the employees a bone (such as two bits more per hour on Thanksgiving or something similar).
If they respond, then the employees have cracked the door a little, and there may be further changes in coming years.

- Eric
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM

hmmm are you eating real twinkies at all?

Weren't Twinkies originally like a banana creme thing? I mean waaaayyy back when they were invented? So somebody changed the recipe ? Just like when they stopped putting real sugar into soda etc and switched to high fructose corn syrup, man they are screwing up everything,
@ Allan tim Horton's is great, but if I am coming to Canada it,s for the ice cold labatts and the potien spelling? The french fries, gravy and cheese now that would be a loss :-)
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eddie,
C'mon up anytime. Poutine is more of an Eastern 'delicacy'. You can actually feel your arteries harden as you eat it. But, washed down with a cold Labatt's or Canadian? No problem - it flushes right out!

Personally this brand motivates me more, for obvious reasons:
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:20 PM

If it was a negotiating tactic, it failed. The new talks collapsed, and the liquidation is, for the moment, proceeding.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...tory?track=rss
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM
72 Olds CS

Hey Alan

my town (in mass) has large french canandian population. One of the local markets sells poutines and rappe. We had some poutines last weekend

somehow I dont think the world will ever be rid of twinkies (the non edible kind)
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If it was a negotiating tactic, it failed.
That's the point - it's like poker. You take your guess and take your position and see how the game goes. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

If every party in every negotiation could completely trust the honesty and good will of every other party, negotiations would not be necessary - the parties would all sit down in a circle, hold hands, sing a few rounds of Kumbaya, and all would be settled - but that ain't the real world.

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:52 AM

Just another example of a product that's not economically feasible to produce in the US. Look for a lot more in the coming years.
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Lansing built

liquidation of Hostess

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2012/...quidation?lite

Pat
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM

Yeah, almost too obvious...
"Look for the union label"....then buy buy mexico or china...dont believe me? look in your closets, at your auto parts...it's the future.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I'd rather have my fill of Oldsmobiles!
x2!
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:01 AM

Cant' keep a good twinkie down

Hostess Picks Lead Bidders for Twinkies

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/...for-twinkies-2

I expect to see Twinkies and the other familiar brands return with a vengeance.
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What? You didn't stock up? I really can't stand vengeful twinkies or any kind of snack with an attitude.
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:41 PM

Ha ha ha.
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:36 PM

twinkies comeback

screw twinkies,i've been eating" cloud cakes" for years,way better and drinking molson ice ;but not together! cloud cakes go better with pinot grigio
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:32 PM

They're baaaack

Twinkies to return in July

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/04/2...ess-plant.html
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Administrator

I want my yeller cup cakes back!
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Just the facts...

i want the suzy q's!!

bill