The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

How To Ruin Your Day At A Car Show

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldsrocket88
Oh absolutely more with that issue than driver error. No doubt. I'm no Toyota shipper

But what makes me laugh about that acceleration issue, is that the minute any "average joe driver" (and my name IS Joe) thinks their car is haunted with Christine's power of driver-less cruise control, these no way said driver ever thinks it my be their negligence or poor habits, even if proven to them...and the real point was this; I've seen this with any type of car in the 22 years of automotive dealer & repair experience, along with all types of people, regardless of race, sex, age, etc.

I still feel worse for the cars though from this, poor Pontiac.
I'm still baffled at how people can mistake the gas for the brake. as soon as the car starts to accelerate no matter how hard you are pressing on the brake, it shouldn't take a genius to realize "this isn't working" and either let up or try the other pedal.

I drive a Ford Ranger and realized real quick that I need to be very careful driving it with my big winter boots. The boots are big enough where I end up working the brake pedal instead of the gas or clutch due to the close spacing of the pedals. Its not a design flaw and there is nothing wrong with my truck, but I was smart enough to Immediately pull both feet off the pedals and think about what just happened.

Last edited by Shizzy; June 18th, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
I also respect the moderators on this forum and I just want to say that I should have gone with my first instinct and not posted photos of the woman and my speculation as to her race.

My speculation as to the woman's race added nothing to the discussion and diverted everyone's attention away from my simple purpose of showing a sad day at a car show.

BTW, I have some Asian relatives and I did not post my comments in order to slam her. In fact, I am rather attracted to others different from me.

So, what should I do now? Should I delete her photographs? I am thinking that it is too late now, the horse is already out of the barn.

I just sent my friend another e-mail, asking for more information! This thread is like a murder mystery, a real who done it! We do need more information, to have an informed discussion as to the cause of this unfortunate mishap.

...And speaking about, "How To Ruin Your Day At A Car Show", Don't ask what happened to me, on my way home from Lansing yesterday. I said don't ask.
Ok, I will tell you this... My family and I are home safe and sound (although a little late $$). 'Nuff said about that.

Jaybird
I know your intentions and a rediculous wreck like this to an irreplacable car really upsets a lot of us, me included. Regardless of who the driver of the toyo was, we would all still have the same negative attituse about him or her.
Going forward, we all just need to drop any negative or derogitory references to race and nationality, etc. and in this thread, focus on facts that may "solve the murder case". Your friends may have some links and many of us await them. Maybe they saw something in a small town newspaper or someone on a Poncho forum (maybe the owner?) would post something.

I know for sure HER shoe size would not have pushed two pedals at once...

And the more you say "don't ask", I just HAVE to ask, what happened?
Its kinda like the wet paint signs - I just have to see if it IS wet...
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shizzy
I'm still baffled at how people can mistake the gas for the brake. as soon as the car starts to accelerate no matter how hard you are pressing on the brake, it shouldn't take a genius to realize "this isn't working" and either let up or try the other pedal.
I wonder about that, too.
Those are people you do not want driving a stick shift...
THREE pedals!
Old June 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Shizzy
I'm still baffled at how people can mistake the gas for the brake.
Yeah, me three.

That being said, though, I read a few months ago that that is the reason for the "Brake to get out of Park" interlock in modern auto-trans cars. Apparently during the whole "Out of Control Audi" thing back in the eighties, studies were done that showed that this tended to happen most when first shifting out of Park - people would shift out of Park and jam the brake pedal, then roll onto the gas. Needless to say, if they accidentally jammed the gas instead, it was off to the races. The interlock forces you to have your foot on the brake when the car goes into gear.

I had always thought it was a "child safety" thing for in case a small child got behind the wheel with the car running (like I always used to do ).

Anyhoo, I had always defeated those interlocks, because they annoy me, and sometimes, I like to just slap 'er into Drive and go, if there's nothing ahead of me and no need to wait, but when I was fooling around with my wife's car recently, I reconnected hers, because I could imagine her getting distracted by the radio, or the phone, or a shiny object, at the moment she was putting the car into gear, with unfortunate results .

- Eric
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I know I am without a doubt ....thats what happens when you been driving for the last 30yrs.....and I also noticed that this thread got a little ugly agaisnt this person leading to some snide comments about mung drivers ( she looks mung anyhow ) WHO CARES....if they drive like crap im going to say something , and if they take it the wrong way...waaaaa to bad....im not ashamed to say that most asian people , especially mung , drive like garbage ...I work with them on a daily basis....good people ? YES.....good drivers ? NO... one of them were such a bad driver that they got into an accident in our parking lot at work.
"mung"? What is that?
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:27 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 442much
"mung"? What is that?
Asians that are refered to as " Mung " I beleive are from the Vietnam region....I have alot of them at my work...good hard workers that stay out of trouble....they are a short people , and we had this almost 7ft black dude that worked in my dept. at work....we stood him up next to a 4ft Asian chick and snapped a photo of it and then put it on facebook...it looked pretty funny , but the company I work for did not like that they were not working at the time this took place , and they got in trouble.
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Jaybird - maybe some good came out of it - being more aware is good. Can we all sit around in a circle now and sing "kum ba yah"
There is a case for periodic retesting of drivers, written and practical, or perhaps mandatory refresher courses, for all drivers when they get a citation. I know my daughter would benfit from that. Did I say that my wife was the worst driver I have ever seen? Wrong - my daughter is - I have no idea how she passed her test - she does not even know what the two second rule is, or the one car length for every 10 mph for us old folks.
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM

It's Hmog. They come from parts of Laos, Vietnam, Thailand and parts of China. The reason they're here is to stay alive.they fought againist the communist Pathet Lao in the Laotian civil war.

In the Clint Eastwood's movie Grand Torino. They are his neighbors he starts out not liking and in the end gives up his life for them.
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
It's Hmog. They come from parts of Laos, Vietnam, Thailand and parts of China. The reason they're here is to stay alive.they fought againist the communist Pathet Lao in the Laotian civil war.

In the Clint Eastwood's movie Grand Torino. They are his neighbors he starts out not liking and in the end gives up his life for them.
Thanks Jamesbo/oldsguybry. BTW, that was a good movie.
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM

I think it's fair to say there are good and bad drivers of ever race, color, creed and nationally.
OOOOOOOOOOPS gotta be PC here. I should add Sexual preferance.
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM

I really feel sorry for the owners of the cars.
Old June 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by GTI_Guru
There have also been several low-speed police chases where the drivers did not pull over because they "didn't know" that they were supposed to when there was a cop behind them with flashing lights & siren going.
In Vietnam, if the police get behind you and tell you to pull over? You just keep driving hoping they run out of gas first. The only reason they try to stop you is to get a cash payout. All fines are pay in cash on the spot, or you go to the hole.
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:39 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Lots of speculation about the driving skills of various ethnic/age/gender groups.
Anyone know what actually happened?, we can see the results and speculate forever about how it happened, I'm hoping to see a post from an eyewitness sometime.
I've often seen wrecks and been at a loss to figure out how the cars ended up where they did.
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I've often seen wrecks and been at a loss to figure out how the cars ended up where they did.
Just like most of the ones on this site really make me wonder.......
www.wreckedexotics.com
Particularly the "weird wrecks" catagory.
I can spend hours in this one...
Old June 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Just like most of the ones on this site really make me wonder.......
www.wreckedexotics.com
Particularly the "weird wrecks" catagory.
I can spend hours in this one...

I have spent Many hours looking over that site..
in all categories.
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Great movie!
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
NOVICE car nut

now that you mention it , isnt it Hmung ? oh well , lol im at work now....I could ask the gal that works behind me if that is the correct spelling
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, actually, the only correct spelling in in their own orthography, which looks nothing like ours.
Us calling them "Hmong" is probably way farther away from the real pronunciation than someone else calling us "Amelicans," or our language "Engrish."

- Eric
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:48 PM

now that you mention it , isnt it Hmung ? oh well , lol im at work now....I could ask the gal that works behind me if that is the correct spelling
What a great movie and what an ode to a car!!! Absolutley fabulous.

Gentle Now
The tender breeze blows
whispers through
My Grand Torino
Whistling another
Tired Song
Engines humm
And bitter dreams
Grow Heart locked
In a Gran Torino
It beats
A lonely rhythm
All night long

A great human interest movie, a great car movie. How a car links ages, cultures and morals.
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:36 AM

now that you mention it , isnt it Hmung ?
I thought it was Hmong
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:07 AM

This really sucks!! With all beening said, Did anyone find out how this really happend
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:30 AM
NOVICE car nut

I thought it was Hmong
lol , I think your right.....I apologize to any of our " Hmong " members for being so ignorant wont happen again
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM

I keep asking my friend in sunny southern CA about the crash. He told me that the people at other cars shows since then, have all speculated about the collision. No good facts yet!

Jaybird
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow.

That would have had me somewhat annoyed had I been the owner of that car.

I would love to hear the "explanation" for why it happened.

- Eric
Same here!
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
What a great movie and what an ode to a car!!! Absolutley fabulous.

Gentle Now
The tender breeze blows
whispers through
My Grand Torino
Whistling another
Tired Song
Engines humm
And bitter dreams
Grow Heart locked
In a Gran Torino
It beats
A lonely rhythm
All night long

A great human interest movie, a great car movie. How a car links ages, cultures and morals.
That is one of my all-time favortive movies.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Where were you in '72?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:25 PM

I don't feel sorry her one bit.

WTF was she doing that she jumped an island and hit 2 parked cars?

The GTO is def totalled, but the 40 looks fixable. Good thing nobody was checking either car out at the time.

I hope she gets sued
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Looks like a case of the pedal on the right instead of the pedal on the left.
I see lots of this in S. Florida.
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
Looks like a case of the pedal on the right instead of the pedal on the left.
I see lots of this in S. Florida.
If that's what happened she can't use that as an excuse. In country's where they drive on the left, the pedal configuration is the same as here. Gas on the right, brake on the left.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Always wondered about the left/right configuration on RH drive cars, but after a million miles in Chicago, I don't think I could do it!!
And even after all those miles, really can't pinpoint 'worse drivers' - but there are some really bad ones!!

Yeah, the Toyletta had 'minor damage' compared to the cars it hit, but the Lemans got hit in the weakest point, and still kept the Toyletta from going over it!
Had the Lemans hit the Toyletta in the same place, it would've gone through it, into the '40, side airbags and all!!
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM

I actually meant (and I don't know how) some elderly seem to mash the gas instead of the brake when faced with a confusing situation.
This happens almost every day in S. Florida, when I used to work accidents I saw it alot.
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
I actually meant (and I don't know how) some elderly seem to mash the gas instead of the brake when faced with a confusing situation.
This happens almost every day in S. Florida, when I used to work accidents I saw it alot.
Oh, I get you. Had a few incidents like that here too. Elderly went through a bank drive-thru... only problem, the bank didn't have one when she first entered the parking lot.
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 442much
Elderly went through a bank drive-thru... only problem, the bank didn't have one when she first entered the parking lot.
Did they pay her for the renovation work?

- Eric
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Did they pay her for the renovation work?

- Eric
......Get er Done...........maybe the local construction companies could use for training new employees on how to get things done.......Time is Money

Last edited by oldsguybry; July 15th, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:37 AM
Hall of Cars

Little pilot error ... She could not do better!
Poor Pontiac!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM

That may not buff out.

I think we found the problem, right there:

"She looks to be an Asian woman around 45 to 55."
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:25 PM

Last week I was right around the corner from an eldery woman pulling out of a parking lot at a decent rate of speed - right over the parking block - up a curb onto the sidewalk, SHE STOPPED RIGHT BEFORE SHE DROVE ONTO THE STREET. AND BY THEN SHE REALLY SHOULD HAVE LOOKED BOTH DIRECTIONS AND JUST DROVE ONTO THE STREET. INSTEAD SHE PUT THE CAR IN REVERSE AND JUST DID MORE DAMAGE TO (oops upper case, no intention meant but I'm not retyping it all) the car doing everything again only backwards. And she was not Asian.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
INSTEAD SHE PUT THE CAR IN REVERSE AND JUST DID MORE DAMAGE TO (oops upper case, no intention meant but I'm not retyping it all) the car doing everything again only backwards. And she was not Asian.
She was UNDOing the damage. Reverse means just that!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM

Tumting vewy vewy wong about a Lexus that didn`t deploy it`s airbags under these obvious conditions.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM

I heard the cause of the accident (from emails) was that the lady was talking or texting on the cell phone. Don't know if that's true, but it's what I heard...

Quick Reply: How To Ruin Your Day At A Car Show