Wanted: 1969 Ebony Black or 1970 Twilight Blue 442

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2015, 07:58 AM

Wanted: 1969 Ebony Black or 1970 Twilight Blue 442

If you are reading this in October 2016 and I haven't said anything, I'm probably still be looking (unless I forgot to tell you that I actually found one).

I'm looking for something as original as possible, and therefore I'd prefer numbers matching (but, as with everything else, if the price is right for one where the numbers doesn't match, I'll definitely consider it). Faded original paint is much cooler to me than a brand new spanking paintjob in a non-factory color.

1970 Oldsmobile 442 - Twilight Blue (Color Code 28)

Condition: As little rust as possible. Might even consider a non-runner if everything else checks out (and the price is right). Will also consider projects that require little to no bodywork.

Exterior: Good ol' Twilight Blue, love that color, especially with white or black stripes (stripes not a requirement, though). As little rust as possible, may be able to handle a little bit of surface rust, but that's about it.

Interior: Black or white. Don't mind rips in the seats.

Body style: Hardtop, not looking for a convertible. Doesn't matter if it's post or not.

Transmission: 4 speed is a major plus, would want a floor shifter on auto, but if everything else checks out I'll definitely consider a column shifter.

Options: Power steering, power brakes and air condition are all musts, a posi rear end is a massive plus.
The exception would be a 4 speed with posi, then I'd consider one without A/C.

Budget:
Depends on the exchange rate, but per now it stops hard at $10k.

Last edited by Zrzoun; September 3rd, 2015 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Added information
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Alternatively: 1969 Oldsmobile 442 - Ebony Black (Color Code 10)

Condition: A straight, rust free body is the most important feature. Might even consider a non-runner if everything else checks out (and the price is right). Will consider projects that require little to no bodywork.

Exterior:
Ebony Black.Vinyl or no vinyl makes no difference. Vinyl can be black or white (white only if the interior is white as well). As little rust as possible, may be able to handle a little bit of surface rust, but that's about it.

Interior:
Black or white. Don't mind rips in the seats.

Body style:
Hardtop, not looking for a convertible. Doesn't matter if it's post or not.

Transmission:
4 speed is a major plus, would want a floor shifter on auto, but if everything else checks out I'll definitely consider a column shifter.

Options:
Power steering, power brakes and air condition are all musts, a posi rear end is a massive plus.

Budget:
Depends on the exchange rate, but per now it stops hard at $10k

Last edited by Zrzoun; September 2nd, 2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:51 AM

Not likely going to find a 70 442 4 speed with A/C.
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:55 AM

Is the budget higher for a fresh and correct restored documented W-30?
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:08 AM

Ideally it would be, cause documented W-30s are pretty sensational machines, but it really is all I have to offer at the moment.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Old School Olds

And the hunt begins, good luck truly, your budget may be a bit low however, based on the particulars that you want. Just my honest opinion, it may take a while.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; August 12th, 2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
And the hunt begins, good luck truly, your budget may be a bit low however, based on the particulars that you want. Just my honest opinion, it may take a while.
Thanks! Yeah, I am well aware of that, but I'm determined to try. He who doesn't, fails and so on.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Old School Olds

I Like your attitude. Shipping will probably suck too though. Good luck!
Got my eye out for ya.
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Administrator

As requested merged and partially edited your threads and title, good luck with your quest.
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
As requested merged and partially edited your threads and title, good luck with your quest.
Thanks, now if it could just read Twilight I'd be delighted

Last edited by Zrzoun; August 12th, 2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hey, I'm here for you.
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Hey, I'm here for you.
Awesome, thanks!
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I Like your attitude. Shipping will probably suck too though. Good luck!
Got my eye out for ya.
Sure does, it's one of the reasons the budget isn't bigger. In rare cases where the car is perfect except for not having A/C, I would probably consider it. I'd be stupid not to give it a good look, at least.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 02:42 AM

Was hoping I had a shot at this: http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/5170792907.html

but alas, what I could offer wasn't near what he wanted.

(also: bump)

Last edited by Zrzoun; September 3rd, 2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:23 PM

This one looks kind of interesting, it's the right color, has some rust, but not in the worst places (how hard can it be to change fenders and quarters? Probably a lot harder than I think, but hey).

Would I be correct in assuming this isn't an A/C car due to the side vents inside? Also, how much does a rebuild cost and where would one go to do it? No one over here rebuilds engines...

He also seems to wanna sell it locally, and has only listed his phone number (doubt he wants to chat with a foreign number)

https://terrehaute.craigslist.org/pts/5228594088.html

Is it okay to use this thread like this? Where I ask questions regarding my hunt? If not, then just let me know!
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:36 PM

That is my car. I just picked it up Tuesday. It is not an A/C car. It is in need of a major restoration. The driver side quarter had been replaced before and was not a good job. It will need the driver side quarter for sure and at least the wheel lip worked on for the passenger side. It is a very solid car but is also missing some parts. It is missing the distributor, carburetor, alternator, air cleaner and other under hood items. It is the original engine and transmission but one piston was broken and in the bottom of the pan. That cylinder will need a sleeve if you wanted to keep the original engine in it. The original heads and intake are in the trunk. I don't have to sell locally but was hoping to so I could have a future local customer for parts.

Other than the quarters and lower front fenders, the body is very good. I am not going to claim they are perfect but by far nicer than any other restoration projects I have seen lately.

I was thinking about this thread when I picked it up, lol
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Some pictures. The worst part of the body will be fixing the driver side quarter. If you are interested in the car I can get you good pictures of that area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3644.JPG (4.30 MB, 85 views)
DSCN3645.JPG (4.29 MB, 59 views)
DSCN3666.JPG (4.36 MB, 56 views)
DSCN3687.JPG (4.44 MB, 64 views)
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That is my car. I just picked it up Tuesday.
Oh wow, what are the odds?

Other than the quarters and lower front fenders, the body is very good. I am not going to claim they are perfect but by far nicer than any other restoration projects I have seen lately
That's pretty much what I thought when I looked at it. Looks like a pretty good starting point.

It is not an A/C car. It is in need of a major restoration. The driver side quarter had been replaced before and was not a good job. It will need the driver side quarter for sure and at least the wheel lip worked on for the passenger side. It is a very solid car but is also missing some parts. It is missing the distributor, carburetor, alternator, air cleaner and other under hood items. It is the original engine and transmission but one piston was broken and in the bottom of the pan. That cylinder will need a sleeve if you wanted to keep the original engine in it. The original heads and intake are in the trunk. I don't have to sell locally but was hoping to so I could have a future local customer for parts.
Kind of sounds like I'll run out of money long before I get it going, then, given my teeny budget
Old September 19th, 2015, 05:38 PM

For the sake of argument, though, how much do you think it would cost to get it running and driving again?
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zrzoun
For the sake of argument, though, how much do you think it would cost to get it running and driving again?
Just a matter of how far you want to go with it and how much of the work you can do yourself. In my area here is USA, Just the body and paint with new quarters would be between $10,000 and $20,000 to have someone do it.
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:46 AM

Just a matter of how far you want to go with it and how much of the work you can do yourself. In my area here is USA, Just the body and paint with new quarters would be between $10,000 and $20,000 to have someone do it.
Yeah, that's what I feared. I'd have to disregard the bodywork for quite a while and focus on getting the parts for the engine and interior to get it into a daily driver, cause once I start on the bodywork I have to go full fix and paint, which... costs. 5k probably won't last long. Could you send the high res pics you have of it, though?
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:01 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

Think your correct , but that hurts because i sold a 70 cutlass S 4 speed with
air not long ago and regret it ever since.
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:07 PM

Did you see the car Stefano is selling? I haven't seen it, but judging by the pics, the car has potential. And I did have a Azure Blue '70 442 4-speed with A/C.....owned it twice. Went overseas. They do exist.
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Did you see the car Stefano is selling? I haven't seen it, but judging by the pics, the car has potential. And I did have a Azure Blue '70 442 4-speed with A/C.....owned it twice. Went overseas. They do exist.
Yeah, I had a look at it, but no air combined with auto threw me off a bit combined with the engine issues. Right color and right hood, though.

Last edited by Zrzoun; September 30th, 2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:19 AM

A 10k car will require significant time, money and energy to bring back.

As stated in this thread, body and frame work is the most expensive.

Buy the best body and frame you can find.

Much cheaper in the long run.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Been looking and looking, but the ones that look like what I want disappear long before I even get a chance to contact them.

This one caught my eye recently, because of the options, but the amount of body work is scary:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...m=291635542108
Old December 10th, 2015, 02:21 PM

"Been looking and looking, but the ones that look like what I want disappear long before I even get a chance to contact them.

This one caught my eye recently, because of the options, but the amount of body work is scary:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...m=291635542108 __________________
To him that will, ways are not wanting"

This one is pretty similar to my first '69 442 - pretty much the same car except for different shade of blue, 400 VS 455, PS VS non-PS, and vinyl roof VS not. Depending on how things unwind, I would consider bidding on it myself. I don't want to interfere with any C.O. Member's plans regarding this ePay listing, though!
Old December 10th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Oh, go right ahead. I'll just ruin myself with all that bodywork in my current situation. I'm considering hunting for a Cutlass instead (especially like the white ones), given my very limited budget. Might be smarter, although the dream has always been a 442. Pretty sure there are some fun things I could do with a 350 to give it a bit more grunt.

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
"Been looking and looking, but the ones that look like what I want disappear long before I even get a chance to contact them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...m=291635542108 __________________
To him that will, ways are not wanting"

This one is pretty similar to my first '69 442 - pretty much the same car except for different shade of blue, 400 VS 455, PS VS non-PS, and vinyl roof VS not. Depending on how things unwind, I would consider bidding on it myself. I don't want to interfere with any C.O. Member's plans regarding this ePay listing, though!
Old December 11th, 2015, 04:02 AM

Quick question, what's the easiest way to spot if the car actually has power steering from a picture? Same question for power brakes.
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:02 AM

Quick question, what's the easiest way to spot if the car actually has power steering from a picture? Same question for power brakes.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but Under hood ?

RED = Power Brake Booster (non power has master cylinder bolted directly to firewall - no 'big round thing')

GREEN = Power steering pump assy & hoses. Not present on manual steering.

Old December 11th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but Under hood ?

RED = Power Brake Booster (non power has master cylinder bolted directly to firewall - no 'big round thing')

GREEN = Power steering pump assy & hoses. Not present on manual steering.

That's exactly what I mean, thanks!

I'll have a much harder time seeing if a car has power steering, given its location.
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:22 PM

OK, here's a manual steering, manual brakes, non A/C car for comparison.

If it had A/C, compressor would be on pass. side (where alt is now) and alternator would be on dr. side.

Old December 12th, 2015, 02:24 AM

Awesome, thanks for taking the time.
Old December 14th, 2016, 07:22 PM
1971 442 conv

If you are reading this in October 2016 and I haven't said anything, I'm probably still be looking (unless I forgot to tell you that I actually found one).

1970 Oldsmobile 442 - Twilight Blue (Color Code 28)
Well, it is just past Oct 2016. Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Oldsmob...m=222341862805
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Column shifted 4 speed either.