Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Prototype Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2015, 06:00 AM

Prototype Vista Cruiser

Not Mine

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4835936603.html

***GM prototype Olds 442
Live Oak, Fl

This is the only 2 door hard top Vista Cruiser ever built by Oldsmobile
Please note: This is a 2 door hardtop
455 CI, Motor
Factory Muncie 4 speed with center counsel
Suspension handling package
442 Dash and steering wheel
442 Door mirrors

Call with your questions
386 362 3874 Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00T0T_d14zCwK5dYf_600x450.jpg (28.9 KB, 463 views)
Old January 7th, 2015, 06:25 AM

I've seen this on CL for awhile down here.
I don't think it's a 'prototype' but a 'what if' project.
Looks cool though.
Old January 7th, 2015, 06:27 AM

Bs

Vista roof grafted onto a Cutlass Supreme. Seats from an F body. Typical misguided seller who can't spell CONSOLE. What a load of poop.
Old January 7th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just for giggles ask what the VIN starts with and I'd bet a box of donuts it's 3J57

This isn't the first 1 of 0 cars that have been advertised as factory one offs.
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:40 AM

I've seen a picture of a black one like this in similar worn condition. Don't think they are factory but they are pretty cool nonetheless.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 8th, 2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Always room for one more

I think this is the black one, but with a different coat of primer.
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by vistacruiser67
I've seen a picture of a black one like this in similar worn condition. Don't think they are factory.
Well of course they aren't factory. VC's were only manufactured as 4 door wagons with the option for 2 or 3 row seating. The VIN for 72 would have to start out as 3K56 or 3K66 to be a VC. Never ever did Olds build the VC with CS body lines. Dave was pretty clear about what this is and he's 1000% correct.
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I think this is the black one, but with a different coat of primer.

A pic of the white one recently showed up on Facebook. Posted, supposedly by a friend of the seller, asking for info on it. One dumbass out of about a hundred replies, claimed it was a one-off prototype. Apparently the seller bought into it. I think it's different than the black one because the black one was a 4 speed SBC
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:53 AM

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder cause to me it looks like an ill fitted turd.... sorry.
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Administrator

And only 1 picture, some peoples kids.
Old January 7th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Pardon me all to hell. I was speaking to the prototype claim and certainly never meant to say this was a production model. Yes I am familiar with Vista production models and have owned three and total of five with parts cars included.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Well of course they aren't factory. VC's were only manufactured as 4 door wagons with the option for 2 or 3 row seating. The VIN for 72 would have to start out as 3K56 or 3K66 to be a VC. Never ever did Olds build the VC with CS body lines. Dave was pretty clear about what this is and he's 1000% correct.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 8th, 2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old January 7th, 2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder cause to me it looks like an ill fitted turd.... sorry.

Its going to take awhile for me to get that image erased from my mind, and I have to clean coffee off my screen, keyboard and desk.... reading this forum at work can be dangerous LOL....

Thanks for the much needed laugh!!
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:38 PM

I think what the general opinion is that this was NOT built by Olds or GM,but someones project by grafting a Vista roof on a Supreme 2dr
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:58 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Another "Because it can be done" car.
Plenty of cars have been turned into stretch versions, particularly Cadillacs, Lincolns and over here we see quite a few stretch Hummers.
This won't be the first or last car that has been squeezed, foreshortened minis are a frequent sight at UK custom car shows, I saw an AMC ambassador that had been turned into a two door coupe at a cruise in in Arizona, much harder than cutting up a Mini!.

Roger.
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:36 AM

I noticed the gas tank wagon flap door is missing in the photo and I wonder if its a conflict in design that the gas door does not fit correctly? Mixing these two bodies makes an odd quarter panel crease in that location. Personally I would have opted to keep the car an automatic but I guess whoever did this car wanted to go all out. I mean what is a 4speed when you are welding two cars together to make one? I would have tried to keep the seats period correct . This all just personal opinion and personal taste and arbitrary. But nit picking aside this car was really a cool idea and makes for a neat car even if its just two junkers stuck together. Hats off to whoever put it together. A testament to what mankind can do when he puts his mind to it.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 8th, 2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:53 AM

I noticed the gas tank wagon flap door is missing in the photo and I wonder if its a conflict in design that the gas door does not fit correctly? Mixing these two bodies makes an odd quarter panel crease in that location. Personally I would have opted to keep the car an automatic but I guess whoever did this car wanted to go all out. I mean what is a 4speed when you are welding two cars together to make one? I would have tried to keep the seats period correct . This all just personal opinion and personal taste and arbitrary. But nit picking aside this car was really a cool idea and makes for a neat car even if its just two junkers stuck together. Hats off to whoever put it together. A testament to what mankind can do when he puts his mind to it.

Are you kidding me! Throw a big blower motor in it fix that gas tank issue in the quarter panel get some better seats. Then tub it, paint it,put mags on it.Waa laa Monster machine grocery getter!
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:08 AM

assumptions

Why are you assuming that the Cutlass Supreme was a factory automatic?
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Because the odds of any Supreme being a factory 4 speed are not good and if somebody is welding two cars together I going to go out on a limb and says the odds are its not a factory 4 speed despite the claim. I don't know I'm just feeling lucky. The fact that somebody put the wrong bucket seats in it helps me make that leap of faith not that there aren't some bench seat 4speeds out there. I'm also assuming the car was an original bench seat car due to the wrong buckets. Do you have break out production numbers of 4 speeds 1972 2dr Supremes ? Of the total 105,087 72 Supremes made; Model number CSU; Body Style J57; Factory price $3258.00; Shipping weight 3520. Tell us how many of the 105,087 1972 Supremes were 4 speeds much less how many of those still exist and we can figure the odds in my favor this one wasn't. I bet that was less than 100 72 4speed Supremes made? If this is one somebody cut up a rare car. You and Allan need to get a room. I will be hanging out on the OLDSMOBILE RACE CARS thread if you and Allan want to bash me some more over there.

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Why are you assuming that the Cutlass Supreme was a factory automatic?

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 8th, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:42 AM

Because the odds of any Supreme being a factory 4 speed are not good and if somebody is welding two cars together I going to go out on a limb and says the odds are its not a factory 4 speed despite the claim. I don't know I'm just feeling lucky. The fact that somebody put the wrong bucket seats in it helps me make that leap of faith not that there aren't some bench seat 4speeds out there. I'm also assuming the car was an original bench seat car due to the wrong buckets. Do you have break out production numbers of 4 speeds 1972 2dr Supremes ? Of the total 105,087 72 Supremes made; Model number CSU; Body Style J57; Factory price $3258.00; Shipping weight 3520. Tell us how many of the 105,087 1972 Supremes were 4 speeds much less how many of those still exist and we can figure the odds in my favor this one wasn't. I bet that was less than 100 72 4speed Supremes made? If this is one somebody cut up a rare car. You and Allan need to get a room. I will be hanging out on the OLDSMOBILE RACE CARS thread if you and Allan want to bash me some more over there.

Back up and grow up! I am not bashing you all I did was ask a legitimate question. If you are feeling insecure don't take it out on me.

I agree that manual transmission equipped Cutlass Supremes are rare but YOU do not know for sure that this is not one of them. Not long ago there was a 3 on the tree 1970 Cutlass Supreme for sale @ at dealer & the vids are likely still on You Tube. It is possible that this is a 3 on the tree car converted to floor shift 4 speed and it is also possible that the entire manual trans set up is after factory.

I am done in this thread. The car is a turd on wheels anyways.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:59 AM

Is this any way for you to start out your new year? Picking on poor Kentucky hillbillies? You are trying to start something and wanting to argue for nothing. You must be Taurus. What difference does it make what I say? If you disagree with me just ignore the comment and dismiss me. We all know this car was a bench seat automatic on the column. Come on. Its got the wrong bucket seats. The car is really lovely and again I say hats off to its maker.

Back up and grow up! I am not bashing you all I did was ask a legitimate question. If you are feeling insecure don't take it out on me.

I agree that manual transmission equipped Cutlass Supremes are rare but YOU do not know for sure that this is not one of them. Not long ago there was a 3 on the tree 1970 Cutlass Supreme for sale @ at dealer & the vids are likely still on You Tube. It is possible that this is a 3 on the tree car converted to floor shift 4 speed and it is also possible that the entire manual trans set up is after factory.

I am done in this thread. The car is a turd on wheels anyways.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 8th, 2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:04 PM

last thought

You are trying to start something and wanting to argue for nothing. You must be Taurus. What difference does it make what I say? If you disagree with me just ignore the comment and dismiss me. We all know this car was a bench seat automatic. Come on. Its got the wrong bucket seats. The car is really lovely and again I say hats off to its maker.

There you go assuming again. YOU do not know that the car was a bench seat automatic. It could have been a bench seat 3 on the tree; the odds are against it but YOU don't have enough information on hand to prove it either way. It could also have had factory buckets replaced by other seats.

You also state that I "must be a Taurus". There you go being presumptuous & subsequently wrong yet again. Please quite while you are behind.
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:10 PM

You think I am a cancerous tumor on this forum don't you? Eating my way to the center? We all know the car was an automatic on the column bench seat with center fold down armrest. Yes I've been behind all my life. Bit its quit not quite. Perhaps it was just a typo on your end. I enjoy watching your Canadian " Trailer Park Boys "TV show.

There you go assuming again. YOU do not know that the car was a bench seat automatic. It could have been a bench seat 3 on the tree; the odds are against it but YOU don't have enough information on hand to prove it either way. It could also have had factory buckets replaced by other seats.

You also state that I "must be a Taurus". There you go being presumptuous & subsequently wrong yet again. Please quite while you are behind.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 8th, 2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:20 PM

laugh

You think I am a cancerous tumor on this forum don't you? Eating my way to the center? We all know the car was an automatic on the column. Yes I've been behind all my life. Bit its quit not quite. Perhaps it was just a typo on your end. I enjoy your Canadian Trailer Park Boys TV show.

You are giving yourself too much credit. I don't think anything about you because you are just one more forum member who's value is no less nor no greater than myself or any other member.

We do not all know it was a column shift automatic but we can agree that it was most likely that. But you carry on and have a nice day just the same. You can't prove that it was not a 3 on the tree car with the info available.

Not sure why you are trying to escalate an argument with myself or with Allan. I always enjoy a battle of wits but I will have to decline today as I don't like to fight an unarmed man.
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:24 PM

I don't care whats you guys think blower sticking out of this thing would cool as a pro street!!
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:26 PM

Well I must deserve some credit or you wouldn't have addressed my errant comments in the first place. Signing off for the day. I was fixing to ask where Alan was. There must be a reason God brought us three together today. Talk to you tomorrow probably. Quit not Quite.

You are giving yourself too much credit. I don't think anything about you because you are just one more forum member who's value is no less nor no greater than myself or any other member.

We do not all know it was a column shift automatic but we can agree that it was most likely that. But you carry on and have a nice day just the same. You can't prove that it was not a 3 on the tree car with the info available.

Not sure why you are trying to escalate an argument with myself or with Allan. I always enjoy a battle of wits but I will have to decline today as I don't like to fight an unarmed man.
Old January 8th, 2015, 02:23 PM

I bet that was less than 100 72 4speed Supremes made?
Over 700 per the GM Heritage Center.
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:19 PM
"me somebody" site member

Pardon me all to hell.
I hope you won't mind, but I'm stealing that...
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:59 AM

I don't have the copyright so I cannot object. Lifted it from the movie "Hells Angels 69" where Mcgoo of the Hells Angels said it after being persecuted by his brothers much the same way I was here by oldsmobiledave and Allan. In the movie Mcgoo wanted to go into the city of Las Vegas and drink and one of other Angels wanted to stay outside the city limits and party to keep from stirring up the local law enforcement. I've got it on DVD. I've noticed it out of print and very pricy now. See below clip for some photos. Cant find the actual Mcgoo clip in question. He is the one wearing the long white shirt. I believe he is also the medic of their chapter. Or was.

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I hope you won't mind, but I'm stealing that...

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 9th, 2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:12 AM

Thanks. Ok oldsmobiledave how do we figure odds that this junker has a factory speed or manual trans? 700 plus divided by 105,087 Cutlass Supreme 1972 units? 1.50124286% chance this car has a factory 4speed? 1.5% chance and me and oldsmobiledave are having stupid argument about a car that has the wrong buckets seats which adds to the odds it was probably a bench seat car which further adds to the odds it was an AT column shift despite the possibility that it could have been a 4speed with a bench seat but very doubtful. I think the 72 Supreme captured the best of the 68-72 A bodies. Formal roof line, The only Olds A body series to break 100k units at 105,087. 72s were probably as refined and improved as possible versus the 68-71s. I think we got awful lucky there was a strike in 70 or 71 that delayed the introduction of the colonades that were scheduled to be introduced in 1972 instead of 1973.

Originally Posted by Diego
Over 700 per the GM Heritage Center.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; January 9th, 2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:42 PM

So someone bought it? The add is gone! I still think this would be a killer pro street with a blower coming up thru the hood, wheel house tubs . Throw some chrome roof rails on it wide tires. Maybe a twin turbo pro street with rocket racing w34 mega scoops lol.
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Good. Now we won't have to look at it any more. Because that thing was FUGLY.
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Good. Now we won't have to look at it any more. Because that thing was FUGLY.
Lack of vision and stuck on the fact that it is modified custom!! In your world you wouldn't be able to define cool if it fell on you!!!
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Well, apparently it fell on you once and did considerable damage.
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Well, apparently it fell on you once and did considerable damage.
Purist go figure!! Thats why custom auto's can bring more money than your junk.
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Now you're just a troll.
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:06 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Kiss and make up, people.

We all have opinions. if we don't like the car we don't have to look at it.

Roger.
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:23 AM

I would like to see it in person to see how well/not well it's put together.
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I would like to see it in person to see how well/not well it's put together.

I think I can tell enough about that from the picture.
Old January 11th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

TO: vistacruiser67

To be honest I never considered revisting this thread because it wasn't going anywhere anyhow. The bogus VC is what it is. Since it's a highly modified version of a wanna-be car, the owner can do whatever he wants - it will still be a 1 of 0 Oldsmobile. My comment (Permalink 7) automatically subscribed me to the thread and I got a notice via email that new posts had been made, so I came to see what was being said. If I hadn't done that I would not have known that you lumping me into your pissing match with Dave. I think it's warranted to step in and revisit some of your insinuations about me because it appears you're reading way to much into this.

I've seen a picture of a black one like this in similar worn condition. Don't think they are factory but they are pretty cool nonetheless.
You expressed this comment about not thinking they were factory. No problem. I interpreted that to mean you weren't sure - nothing else.

Originally Posted by Allan R
I responded with my opinion, which is actually a statement of fact. No problem, except you interpreted that as a personal attack which it wasn't.

Pardon me all to hell. I was speaking to the prototype claim and certainly never meant to say this was a production model. Yes I am familiar with Vista production models and have owned three and total of five with parts cars included.
You apparently took this the wrong way - my apologies for any wording that may have been construed incorrectly on your part. My comments were accurate and only expressed information that is easily obtained in Oldsmobile documentation. I was not debating your knowledge of Vista Cruisers.

I don't have the copyright so I cannot object. Lifted it from the movie "Hells Angels 69" where Mcgoo of the Hells Angels said it after being persecuted by his brothers much the same way I was here by oldsmobiledave and Allan.
I posted one comment and I'm persecuting you? I don't think so. But on the other hand you've gone out of your way to besmirch or assume I was actively participating in your character assassination. Do you even know what persecute means? Here, let me spell it out for you from the dictionary. Maybe this will help you understand I'm only dealing with real issues, not imaginary ones.
per·se·cute
pərsəˌkyo͞ot
verb
harass or annoy (someone) persistently.
You and Allan need to get a room. I will be hanging out on the OLDSMOBILE RACE CARS thread if you and Allan want to bash me some more over there
IMO you're over reacting. I don't believe I was bashing you but if that's how you see it, fine. I could care less what forum or site you hang on. I have met Dave and have had discussion with him. He's not the person you paint him to be. He is an engineer and tends to speak factually, which can come across in these posts differently than conversation in person.