Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Gauging interest in 63 Starfire Conv

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2014, 03:50 PM

Gauging interest in 63 Starfire Conv

I bought a completely disassembled car as I needed the motor and trans. The body is braced and on a rotisserie and the quarters are done but the floors need redone. Side sheetmetal is decent but hood and trunk still need to be worked smooth. I have I believe most everything to put it back minus bolts and previously mentioned motor/trans. It is a great radrod candidate or ambitious full restoration. I do not wish to part it out but if it gets down to it I will need more room come spring. Anyone interested in saving a hard to come by car? I can sent photos if someone is serious.
Old November 1st, 2014, 09:37 PM
Administrator

I suggest a price and location, posting a few pics would be even better.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:09 AM

Car is in IL near Terre Haute. I would rate the car a 5 as it needs a full rebuild but better than a parts only car. Puts it around 4k. I will post some pics later today.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:29 AM

Starfire ragtop

$4k ??? IMHO, no way. Especially with no motor or trans. I have a '64 Starfire ragtop, in my garage, with the correct engine and trans as well as tons of extra parts. Body is in primer with minimal work required before paint. Based on the current market, I would say $4-$5k would be fair for this. A much more rare model, with only 1240 produced.

Either way, the car needs to be saved, but the cost of doing so is monumental. Akin to taking on a Cadillac resto(which is cheaper, due to all the aftermarket parts available)!! Very few aftermarket parts available and the engine job alone can set you back $5k. This keeps the interest low, from the average hobbyist. All these opulent Oldsmobile's, from this era are not for the faint of heart. I am doing a '64 98 2 dr coupe right now. It's going to be small fortune, by the time it's done. But I am dead set on saving this classic, because of my passion for it.

Respectfully,
JT
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:33 PM

Here are some photos. Frame is done and powder coated. Im using the CCPG 2013 for referance on #5 car which is more realistic than NADA which isnt. If someone is interested drop me a line. I didnt say its set in stone on price, just a starting point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2936.jpg (65.6 KB, 45 views)
IMG_2937.jpg (62.7 KB, 40 views)
IMG_2938.jpg (60.7 KB, 41 views)
IMG_2939.jpg (63.7 KB, 37 views)
IMG_2940.jpg (61.2 KB, 34 views)
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:36 PM

More pics
Attached Images
IMG_2942.jpg (74.2 KB, 42 views)
IMG_2943.jpg (77.6 KB, 37 views)
IMG_2944.jpg (67.9 KB, 38 views)
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Good luck with your sale.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:37 PM

Would love to have it
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:39 AM

The devil is in the details.....

I would be interested in knowing the condition of trim, taillights, grill, bumpers, etc. Do you have all the frame work for the convertable top?, Interior parts, console, seat frames etc.? Lot of questions I know, but I have a complete, original 63 Starfire rust bucket with a totally rusted frame and beat up bumpers, so I'm not just asking to be asking. Thanks. ralph.young@flaktwoods.com
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:11 PM

The frame is ready to go. It was completely stripped and powder coated. There is a photo of it sitting on stands. The seats re light blue and in good shape but do have a couple sections that will need repaired due to poor storage, meaning cuts in the vinyl. I cannot 100% say every single piece is accounted for as this car was in lots of boxes and not labeled. I would have no idea how many parts constitute the entire mechanism for the top. I know the entire assembly with the original canvas is in tact. The top locks, windshield top chrome, inserts for weatherstripping, wiring, switches, pumps and lines I sorted out. The console and shifter are accounted for. I think the side anodized trim at least for the rear 1/4s are too bent to reuse but maybe could be worked and held together. The door and fender trim is decent but if you were to rebuild the car, I would contact Jaswest in Canada and put brand new side trim on. The stainless I believe was all there and in nice shape. Bumpers are solid cores, taillites are probably too beat up. Again due to poor storage. Top of the dash is cracked up but all the parts are there. I have not inspected the wiring harness as to condition but it was tagged and boxed up. The car was loaded to the hilt. A/C, power windows, seat, trunk, antenna, safety sentinel, tilt wheel.
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Good luck with sale. I would not use a #5 complete car estimate for a #5 car that has no powertrain.
Old November 5th, 2014, 05:12 PM

Well again, its a starting point. OCPG uses a 6 as clearly only good for parts. Based off that, this car clearly can be restored as it isn't a case of sheet metal is only good for patch panel uses, extensive missing parts, no interior, etc. While I did not get invoices of what has been done ie outside body tub, fenders, doors basically done, including the complete blasting and powder coating of the frame ready to reassemble, my hunch is anyone looking to do this to their own car will find the cost far exceeds the starting point on price. Unless you have a good lead on dirt cheap labor rates at a dealership where the work was started or sources that do excellent frame work for under $500. In that case, please pass along this resource as I may decide to keep the car after all and have it restored for apparently a few grand. I suppose if a guy had all the pertinant equipment and knowledge to do the work entirely on their own, then yes, finding a car at this starting point would be much too high. Anyone thinking of doing the same car or looking for this particular car will quickly find that the money already dumped into it far exceeds the general starting point on price. I'd buy as many cars as can be sent my way at this same stage if I can get them for the #6 listed price of $1400. My idea is to gauge interest in saving this specific car but I have what I need and will part it out over time for way more than #6 money if nobody cares for the car. No skin off my teeth. Hell, it's already disassembled to save me the hassle.