Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1977 Vista Cruiser for Sale

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2014, 06:16 PM

1977 Vista Cruiser for Sale

We're second owners of this VC that had been stored for a long time. Has 52K original miles. It runs strong. Its got a 350 V8 Hydratrans, pw, pb, a/c. Interior is in very good condition. Headliner still attached. Dash in great condition. Original carpeting. 3rd row folds flat.
Looking to sell to someone who can give it the time and TLC it needs. Asking $5,200, will consider all serious offers. Located in Glendale/Burbank area.

IMG_20140106_121703_315 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140106_122008_802 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140106_122043_476 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140106_122121_792.jpg

IMG_20140106_122803_870.jpg

Last edited by fmcasagrande@yahoo.com; July 16th, 2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Update Info
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:38 PM

Photos, price, location. Does it run? These things don't sell themselves.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:53 PM

Would like to sell our 77' Vista Cruiser. How are we priced? Currently asking $5,200 and looking for pricing feedback. Any/All feedback is appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:36 PM

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '77 Vista Cruiser in #3 ("car show") condition at about $2000 and in #4 condition (runs and drive but needs complete restoration) at $900. This car is between these two condition levels, so, going by this source, the vehicle is worth somewhere in the high teens.

Even in showroom condition, the OCPG puts the value at just over $3,000.

These are way off your asking price and probably not what you want to hear. But you have to remember that station wagons are not highly sought-after cars, and there are three things that determine an old cars value: condition, rarity, and desirability. Many people make the mistake of assuming that, if the car meets the first two criteria, it will automatically meet the third. But that's not true at all. This car could be one of two left on the planet and in pristine condition, but if no one wants it, it won't have high value.

I own a '73 Olds wagon myself. I do have some experience with this.

Nothing stops you from asking whatever you want, and the market will quickly tell you if you're overpriced. I spend a lot of time over at stationwagonforums.com (you might go over there yourself, join up, and list the car for sale), and people often post station wagons for sale on craigslist or other places. There are many out there, and you can get a wagon in better condition than this for the same or less money than you're asking.

Now, about those photos. The good news is that you actually have some now. The bad news is that you need more and better ones. Only one photo you posted is of any value, and that's the one of the engine.

The problems with these three photos is that the lighting is terrible. You have deep shadows making it difficult to get a good sense of what that back end really looks like, you have personal belongings in the first photo, and the photo of the dash is so poorly lit and poorly composed that all you can really tell is that the car has a radio and a gear shift lever.

Park the car out in the light, clear it of all the personal stuff, and take about a dozen well-lit, well-composed photos of the front seat, back seat, one or two doors, headliner, dashboard, third seat up and down, cargo area, etc. You mention that the car has its original carpeting. It would be nice if we could actually see it.

As far as your exterior shot, it, again, is terrible. You have only one shot, and it looks like it was taken from the roof across the street using a zoom lens. We have a better sense of the quality of the landscaping in your yard than we do of the car.

Throw this photo away and, standing next to the car, not 100 feet away from it, take about dozen from every angle. Front end, back end, both sides, bumpers, underneath at the front end, underneath at the back end, close-ups of any problem areas, etc. In your one exterior photo, it looks like the woodgrain forward of the front door is faded differently than the rest of the car. Fading is expected, but why is it uneven? This suggests that the car has had body work. I also see rust under the rear side window about 1/3 of the way back, and it looks like the trim piece that runs the length of the front door at the top of the woodgrain is missing. But we can't see these well because we're so freaking far away! This is what you should be talking about, this is what you should be showing photos of, and this is why your car is probably not worth the 5 grand you're asking.

The bottom line here is that you're trying to sell a car that, even under the best of circumstances, is going to be difficult to sell. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by posting a poor advertisement for it. People, including me, browse craigslist ads all the time, and when I see an ad with no photos, which is downright stupid these days, or one with only one or two photos, usually badly composed, I just move along to the next ad. I tend to think that if someone can't be bothered to post a half-way decent set of photos and description, they probably didn't bother to take much care of the car, either. People tend to think that simply mentioning that their old car is for sale will be enough cause a stampede of buyers to their door, and that's not true.

Originally Posted by fmcasagrande@yahoo.com
Any/All feedback is appreciated.
Hey, you asked!

Last edited by jaunty75; July 17th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Ouch ! A little harsh but sadly true. You did ask. Anyway, I'll post it on the 73-77 Olds board for you. I can tell you from a guy that owns two 1973 Vista Cruisers myself, you may want to do some research on your pricing. Good luck.
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by DennisG.
Ouch ! A little harsh but sadly true.
Hey, I was trying to be harsh in as friendly a way as possible!

(Or was I trying to be friendly in as harsh a way as possible?)
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:52 PM
morgan

it is from Burbank you know....
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
it is from Burbank you know....
So what?
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Okay, thanks for the insight. I appreciate the brutal honesty...and yes, I did ask. I will make the adjustments on the photos to show its great interior and engine and post them soon.

PS - Thanks DennisG for posting it in the 73-77 boards.