Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1982 Oldsmobile Omega. New car. 160 miles.

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM

1982 Oldsmobile Omega. New car. 160 miles.

Look at this. A 1982 Oldsmobile Omega with only 160 miles. Here is a one of a kind Omega with a one of a kind story. This car was bought new in the spring of 1982 for an 80 year old lady who never drove. The idea was that the car would be there if she ever needed it. What adds to the story is not only an Omega with 160 miles but the family ordered the car with every option offered for her comfort. The car has power windows, power locks, AM/FM Stereo, tilt wheel, delay wipers, air, the chrome and trim dress up package, sport mirrors, factory floor mats, ect. The car is optioned out like a Ninety Eight Regency or a Toronado Brougham. The new car window sticker is still on the door window! The sticker price was $10,000 which was Cutlass Supreme/Delta 88 Royale money. Alot of money for an Omega. The car is all original including the tires, even the oil is from the factory and looks brand new. The car still smells new. The plastic bumper fillers are cracked with age. The original paint is fading on the tops of the car. The paint on the sides shines like new. The headliner is hanging down a little. The rest of the interior is still new. I am quite sure this is the only new Omega left in the world. When was the last time you have even seen an Omega let alone one with all the options? The asking price is more than fair at $8000. If it does not sell for near that price, the car will go to one of the auction houses. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2439.jpg (88.9 KB, 190 views)
IMG_2442.jpg (98.4 KB, 173 views)
IMG_3245.jpg (75.3 KB, 164 views)
IMG_3244.jpg (65.4 KB, 151 views)
IMG_3255.jpg (42.0 KB, 146 views)
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Good luck with the auction.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:52 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Good luck with the auction.
Auction? Hmmmm, does that mean you think the price may be a little high? How many other 160 mile 30 plus year old cars exist? To an Omega guy, the price may be too little.... If they only ordered her a new Ninety Eight or a Toronado, it would be worth at least 25000 or more today. Sigh....
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Just a little... good luck.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie
Auction? Hmmmm, does that mean you think the price may be a little high? How many other 160 mile 30 plus year old cars exist?
THREE things determine an old car's value: condition, rarity, and desirability. This car may meet the first two, but if early '80s Omegas are not popular, they're not popular, and people won't suddenly want one just because one turns up in good shape. Your $8,000 asking price may be strong in some people's minds, but it's probably not a bad starting point. But don't be surprised if you have to come down some at some point to generate interest.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:51 PM

Put new tires on it and someone would a very practical new everyday driver for the price.

Henry
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Auction? Hmmmm, does that mean you think the price may be a little high? How many other 160 mile 30 plus year old cars exist? To an Omega guy, the price may be too little.... If they only ordered her a new Ninety Eight or a Toronado, it would be worth at least 25000 or more today. Sigh....
While the car may be low miles, it is not new. All the rubber parts in that car are over 30 years old. The hoses and seals are thus suspect. I doubt the engine was pickled for storage. It needs paint, and to my knowledge the bumper fillers for this car are not reproduced. Not driving a car is the worst possible thing you can do to is.

More to the point, these were undesirable cars when new and are extremely unpopular now. You'd be hard pressed to get that kind of money for an Omega SX two door in the same condition, let alone a grandma four door. You didn't mention the engine, so I assume it's the "pavement-ripping" Iron Duke four cylinder. Again, not helping the value.

Good luck, but you'll be looking a long, long time for someone who absolutely has to have a low mileage X-car four door and is willing to pay for it.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
... these were undesirable cars when new and are extremely unpopular now.
+1.

I think we've all got our ideas of how much that car will go for.
I feel comfortable saying "Below $3,000." Probably in the $2,500 area.

Be careful with auctions - sometimes things will sell for a lot less than you think.

When you do sell it, let us know what you got for it (so we can settle our bets ).

- Eric
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

If they only ordered her a new Ninety Eight or a Toronado, it would be worth at least 25000 or more today. Sigh....
You REALLY need to stop watching those Barrett Jackson auctions on TV...

Sorry, but there is NO 1982 Ninety Eight or Toro in this universe that is currently worth anywhere NEAR $25K, even with ZERO miles on it. Loaded Olds Eighty Eights and Ninety Eights from the early 1980s with very low miles have been offered for sale in the $5K-$6K range, and have not sold at those prices. There's a beautiful 1982 or 83 Eighty Eight grandma car in PA that's been for sale for the last two years with no takers at just under $6K. By the way, that car already has new tires and doesn't need paint. I've seen it in person.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:57 AM

It's all about market. I spent 7 years tracking down a solid 80's full sized station wagon up here. Had to fight off 2 other bidder to get it, and I've been approached 3 times in the last year with unsolicited offers to buy. Joe, on the other hand .. couldn't give his 2 away.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:26 AM

You REALLY need to stop watching those Barrett Jackson auctions on TV...

Sorry, but there is NO 1982 Ninety Eight or Toro in this universe that is currently worth anywhere NEAR $25K, even with ZERO miles on it. Loaded Olds Eighty Eights and Ninety Eights from the early 1980s with very low miles have been offered for sale in the $5K-$6K range, and have not sold at those prices. There's a beautiful 1982 or 83 Eighty Eight grandma car in PA that's been for sale for the last two years with no takers at just under $6K. By the way, that car already has new tires and doesn't need paint. I've seen it in person.
Oh boy, I saw this coming. How many Omegas are around to put up against this one? The tires are still as new, so are the hoses. The X cars have become a cult thing now. Everyone had one, either you loved it or hated it, many of us remember a point in our lives driving one of these. Maybe just starting out or maybe our first new car? These are the things that make us buy an old car. We want to remember our youth. Someone out there had a car just like this and would love to have one again today but new like this. How can you put a price on that? We had an 80 X11 4 speed V6 coupe with 500 miles on it sell for $12000 last year. The Omega for only $3000? Are you nutty? If you owned it, would you give it away? No, I do not think you would and you know it! There is no Ninety Eight or Toronado worth $25000? What? The 80 to 84 Regencys are a wanted item in mint original condition. We sold a triple black 80 Regency diesel coupe with everything including leather and the moonroof for $27500 in 2011. Why? The thing had 11 miles on it. Again, how can you replace it? I thought it would bring at least $40000. The buyer had one new in 80 and was thrilled to have found this car. No Toronados worth $25000? How do you begin to put a figure on the 77 XSR prototypes? $25000 would only buy the badge. These cars are coming from what may be the largest collection of unrestored original low miles Oldsmobiles anywhere. How much is a 77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with T tops worth? It has 250 miles on it? There is a 77 Salon T top 5 speed parked next to it with 600 miles? $30000 each would not buy one. Why would so many of you knock down an Oldsmobile on this site, but yet, you are all members? I thought it would be nice to offer some cars to "true" Olds guys, now, I don't know....
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
+1.

I think we've all got our ideas of how much that car will go for.
I feel comfortable saying "Below $3,000." Probably in the $2,500 area.

Be careful with auctions - sometimes things will sell for a lot less than you think.

When you do sell it, let us know what you got for it (so we can settle our bets ).

- Eric
We did put the car up on Ebay two years ago just to see what would happen and the final bid was just over $6000. Several bidders were overseas dealers. I still have a printout of the auction with the bidding over $6000 if anyone really cares to see it. Again, if you can find another new Omega and wish to sell it for only $3000, send it over to me.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:47 AM

Per the tires .. el-nopio. Doesn't matter how good those tires might look from the outside, they've spent the last 3 decades with oxygen under high pressure pushing through the structure inside. There are many places pushing now to mandate tire age control at 7 years .. my personal is 10. Older than that, they're an accident waiting to happen. Would you really want to be the person responsible when a tire delaminates on the highway? I always say, the three systems you deal with on a car in order are the Whoa, the Go, and only then the Show. Tires are part of the Whoa.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:14 PM

nice car
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Professur
Per the tires .. el-nopio. Doesn't matter how good those tires might look from the outside, they've spent the last 3 decades with oxygen under high pressure pushing through the structure inside. There are many places pushing now to mandate tire age control at 7 years .. my personal is 10. Older than that, they're an accident waiting to happen. Would you really want to be the person responsible when a tire delaminates on the highway? I always say, the three systems you deal with on a car in order are the Whoa, the Go, and only then the Show. Tires are part of the Whoa.
Oh my goodness who is going to use this car for an everyday driver after 32 years and 160 miles? To put any real miles on this car would be pointless now anyway so leave the stupid tires alone. I get your point but get the point on what this car is ok? You look at it and remember the days gone past. You smell the interior and go back to your youth. Screw driving the car. You think that guy who bought the 11 mile 80 Regency is going to drive it? He sits in it and plays the 8 Tracks and loves it! I keep in touch with him. The Omega was up on blocks most of the time since we had it and the tires were deflated. That is how we store the cars. The oil is from 1982 and I would not change that either. You don't change anything. Don't change anything! It's not a car to drive into the ground everyday. How many millions do some crazy collectors pay for artwork that just hangs on the wall?
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM

Oh my goodness who is going to use this car for an everyday driver after 32 years and 160 miles? To put any real miles on this car would be pointless now anyway so leave the stupid tires alone. I get your point but get the point on what this car is ok? You look at it and remember the days gone past. You smell the interior and go back to your youth. Screw driving the car. You think that guy who bought the 11 mile 80 Regency is going to drive it? He sits in it and plays the 8 Tracks and loves it! I keep in touch with him. The Omega was up on blocks most of the time since we had it and the tires were deflated. That is how we store the cars. The oil is from 1982 and I would not change that either. You don't change anything. Don't change anything! It's not a car to drive into the ground everyday. How many millions do some crazy collectors pay for artwork that just hangs on the wall?

Seriously ... that's crazy. Right word there. Who in their right mind buys a car to look at it? My '81 and '85 B bodies are daily drivers. Nobody 'remembers' sitting in the driveway .. you remember the road. Frankly, you've got a sweet little car there ... but it's not good enough for a trailer queen, and it's not safe enough for a weekend special. That's why noone thinks your price makes sense.

For what it's worth ... I'd spend $2k on that. Drop another large replacing all the rubber from tires to tubes. Do a full flush on all fluids ... and give it to my daughter as her daily driver with a certain pride. My biggest worry would be that the vinyl is all dried out and would split right along all the seams.

Last edited by Professur; May 23rd, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM

Hmmm me thinks all the value is lost now since the original air was let out of the tires. This is a major setback. Ha ha We here are Olds guys here telling it like it is from our point of view. You clearly have another. You may get the $$ you think this car deserves after all there is a saying about a certain type of person who is born every minute. I wish you luck with the sale and thanks for posting the car here for us to see and comment on.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

From a car sales view point I love your selling points, attitude, and optimism. I just can't seem to come up with a proper response towards having had the opportunity and the reasoning of turning down an offer over $6k. However from experience in cars sales, there is an a$$ for every seat, maybe you'll get lucky, I doubt from anyone on this site.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

We did put the car up on Ebay two years ago just to see what would happen and the final bid was just over $6000. Several bidders were overseas dealers. I still have a printout of the auction with the bidding over $6000 if anyone really cares to see it.
If no cash changed hands, that's meaningless. Sorry, but bids that don't meet reserve (and that don't result in a sale) are NOT an indication of value. Look, good luck with your sale. Please prove us all wrong.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:49 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Professur
Seriously ... that's crazy. Right word there. Who in their right mind buys a car to look at it? My '81 and '85 B bodies are daily drivers. Nobody 'remembers' sitting in the driveway .. you remember the road. Frankly, you've got a sweet little car there ... but it's not good enough for a trailer queen, and it's not safe enough for a weekend special. That's why noone thinks your price makes sense.
No that's not crazy, that is a real true car collecting nutcase and I'm very sure there are more of us around. I for one, have cars sitting in my building that have not moved one inch since before World War 2. Now you know I'm a crazy old fart too but I sure knew what to collect while others were scrapping any metal they could find. Hey, no hard feelings between any of us. This could be an interesting topic seeing different views. I love watching the pounds of dust and junk pile up and around an old car that has been sitting for decades.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

To put any real miles on this car would be pointless now anyway so leave the stupid tires alone. I get your point but get the point on what this car is ok? You look at it and remember the days gone past. You smell the interior and go back to your youth. Screw driving the car. You think that guy who bought the 11 mile 80 Regency is going to drive it? He sits in it and plays the 8 Tracks and loves it! I keep in touch with him. The Omega was up on blocks most of the time since we had it and the tires were deflated. That is how we store the cars. The oil is from 1982 and I would not change that either. You don't change anything. Don't change anything! It's not a car to drive into the ground everyday. How many millions do some crazy collectors pay for artwork that just hangs on the wall?
Seriously?

I'll point out that XKEs and Ferrraris go into art museums. The Shelby Cobra was recognized by the National Historic Register. Let's see... any X-cars on that list?

Uh, no.

Again, good luck.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:54 PM

Seriously?

I'll point out that XKEs and Ferrraris go into art museums. The Shelby Cobra was recognized by the National Historic Register. Let's see... any X-cars on that list?

Uh, no.

Again, good luck.
Not yet but have you seen another new X car in 30 plus years? Oh, have you seen what X cars are in the GM museum's storage building? Nope, I guess not Joe Joe....
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Not yet but have you seen another new X car in 30 plus years?
And I still haven't seen a "new" one since they went out of production.

Again, good luck. I've wasted enough time in this thread.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:01 PM

No hard feeling and I'd love to take a tour of that building .. but you know I'd be weeping the whole way. Just how I was brought up. Dad's favorite story was breaking the tires loose in 3rd in his old Jag E-type back in Scotland. He brought me up that a car not on the road is like a bird in a cage.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:59 PM

Art is designed for hanging on the wall and looking at. Cars are designed to be driven on a road. Worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit. Sacrilegious to park them for 30 years.
Mike
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:31 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by cfhcar
nice car
Best post in this thread. While I have no interest in buying the car, I think it is kinda cool in a "blast from the past" kinda way (always had an odd attraction to cars from GM's "malaise era" (or is that eras). I find the photos of the car to be far more interesting than the usual drivel being posted here by the usual gang of idiots about how the car is not desirable / worth the asking price.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; May 24th, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old May 24th, 2014, 08:06 AM

Years ago I served on the board of the R.E.Olds transportation museum in Lansing. I was the chairman of the collections commitee for a while. We set out to create a list of cars that would be useful for displaying history of transportation. One car that was brought up at the time would be on 80's X platform Omega. The reason being the X platform was totaly new for GM at the time and was the beginning of a long line of front wheel drive platforms that would use simular design. A car like this would be a cool addition to the collection in Lansing. Maybe someone with the understanding of the tax advantages of this kind of donation could step up and make it happen, Just a thought. ~BOB
Old May 24th, 2014, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
Years ago I served on the board of the R.E.Olds transportation museum in Lansing. I was the chairman of the collections commitee for a while. We set out to create a list of cars that would be useful for displaying history of transportation. One car that was brought up at the time would be on 80's X platform Omega. The reason being the X platform was totaly new for GM at the time and was the beginning of a long line of front wheel drive platforms that would use simular design. A car like this would be a cool addition to the collection in Lansing. Maybe someone with the understanding of the tax advantages of this kind of donation could step up and make it happen, Just a thought. ~BOB
I believe the R.E. Olds museum has a tan '81 two door coupe on display. Not sure how many miles it has.