Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1982 Delta 88 Royale Brougham - $5795

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:31 PM

1982 Delta 88 Royale Brougham - $5795

1982 Delta 88 Royale Brougham
http://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/4468704802.html

I purchased this car from a dealer in 1984 in Houston Texas when it was approximately 2 years old. Over the past 30 years it has always been garaged. It is for sale because we no longer have garage space for it and it is being stored as a classic car storage facility. It was repainted and new vinyl top in 1989 for $2,300. A new headliner and visor covers were done a few years later. The car is gorgeous and shows really well. It is a 5.0 liter V-8 engine. I am not sure of the exact number but the mileage is in the 60,000's. During the past 30 years the brakes have been replaced, intake manifold gasket replaced, water pump replaced, engine belts and hoses, universal joints and Michelin tires with very few miles (a couple thousand at most), muffler and exhaust, a/c system $900 (needs charging now), master cylinder, ECM, engine sensors, distributor cap and rotor, tie rods and idler arm and transmission rebuilt. The car is beautiful and it is very tough to part with it. Never wrecked or body work except for repainting.

Karen
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:05 PM

Please click on the link at the top to go to Craigslist where there are several more pictures. Also you can't tell from this front shot but it is a coupe. Thanks, Karen
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:43 PM

This link to Craiglist and all the pictures will be here a little longer. However I will be deleting the ad soon as I don't feel comfortable with some of the buyers Craigslist seems to attract. I had never attempted to use Craigslist and I think my first instinct was correct.
Thanks, Karen
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

For Karen

Karen has experienced a CL issue and was thinking of removing her ad there. She knows that will also cause the pictures in her For Sale ad here to disappear. These pics and descriptions were taken from her CL ad and posted here on her behalf, so she could have some peace of mind while she decides what to do.

CL Text:

1982 Delta 88 Royale Brougham - $5795 (Jackson)

I purchased this car from a dealer in 1984 in Houston Texas when it was approximately 2 years old. Over the past 30 years it has always been garaged. It is for sale because we no longer have garage space for it and it is being stored as a classic car storage facility. It was repainted and new vinyl top in 1989 for $2,300. A new headliner and visor covers were done a few years later. The car is gorgeous and shows really well. It is a 5.0 liter V-8 engine. I am not sure of the exact number but the mileage is in the 60,000's. During the past 30 years the brakes have been replaced, intake manifold gasket replaced, water pump replaced, engine belts and hoses, universal joints and Michelin tires with very few miles (a couple thousand at most), muffler and exhaust, a/c system $900 (needs charging now), master cylinder, ECM, engine sensors, distributor cap and rotor, tie rods and idler arm and transmission rebuilt. The car is beautiful and it is very tough to part with it. Never wrecked or body work except for repainting.
Pics: Need to do this on 2 permalinks as there are 10 pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Delta 1.jpg (40.7 KB, 179 views)
Delta 2.jpg (22.3 KB, 178 views)
Delta 3.jpg (37.1 KB, 176 views)
Delta 4.jpg (34.7 KB, 178 views)
Delta 5.jpg (35.2 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by Allan R; May 17th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Rest of pics

Best of luck with the sale of your car Karen!
Attached Images
Delta 6.jpg (32.9 KB, 175 views)
Delta 7.jpg (42.7 KB, 178 views)
Delta 8.jpg (41.7 KB, 173 views)
Delta 9.jpg (37.4 KB, 175 views)
Delta 10.jpg (41.8 KB, 173 views)
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Karen, I would leave the ad on Craigslist as it is the perfect venue to sell your car. Yes you have to weed through the scammers, however it does attract quite a few lookers.

Good luck!
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Allan, Thank you so very much for posting all of the pictures of my Oldsmobile from Craigslist to this thread!! That was so kind of you and I am truly grateful. OldCutlass/Eric thank you for encouraging me to leave the ad on Craigslist. I was just very angry that there are such dishonest scammers out there and while I wasn't fooled for a moment, I worry about those who might be. The broken English makes me think it came from someone for whom English is a second language or maybe that was all part of the trick...who knows. Thanks again Allan, Karen
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Very nice car GL on the sale.
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Karen, I thought I'd check in and see if there's been any interest in this car or whether you decided to keep it after all.
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:09 AM

Very nice car at an affordable price! GOOD LUCK!
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:05 AM

Thank you Delta Devil and Aron for your nice comments about my car. Thank you Allan for checking in on us. No, sadly, I haven't decided to keep my Delta 88. I don't like storing it. It isn't the $50/month that bothers me. It is just that I don't think that is the best thing for the car. The ad on Craigs List produced another scam artist...actually it was the same person I think. I never answered his inquiry. I was going to list on Ebay but we are preparing to go to our cottage for a month so we decided to just list the Delta 88 as well as my husband's 1977 Chevy Beauville van on Ebay when we get home so that will be mid July. No more Craigs List for me! Lol. I don't think we will go to the Oldsmobile Parade in Lansing on Father's Day even though we are really close because that would cause us to miss about 10 days at our cottage and I hate to do that. Thanks again Allan for thinking of us, Karen
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM

Hi guys! I am back! We enjoyed more than a month at our cottage on Lake Superior and we left before the Olds Parade in Lansing. We are now ready to sell our Oldsmobile and I am going to list it on Ebay. A man here in town who restores classic cars had told us to ask $5,000-$6,000 for our car which is how we came up with the $5,795 price. I am thinking that is too high. What is a price that will get interest on Ebay? I will list with no reserve. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Karen
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Karen, welcome back. Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation.

I think the ask is very reasonable, all things considered. Ebay customers are fickle though - they expect a Rolls Royce for literally a few grand. The other thing you need to remember is you'll get tire kickers who just email but don't bid. It's a frustrating ordeal, so be prepared. And then, you still have to get the $$$ from the buyer and pay the ebay fees....I would put a reserve on the car though - at around 4000.00 and see how that goes. Best of luck on the sale. Hopefully you get more interest than CL and the lack of participation here.
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Karen, do you realize how hard it is to find a nice running driving low mileage car for what your asking? Be patient someone will fall in love. Put it on Ebay for a buy it now price.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:44 AM

Good morning Allan and Eric and thank you both so much for your input. So does it sound like a good idea to list on Ebay starting at $4,000 with no reserve and then put a BuyItNow price of, say, $5,000? If someone bids $4,000 then the BuyItNow price goes away. I could also list it for less, say $2,000, and put a reserve of $4,000. I found a place in Grand Rapids called Grand Rapids Auto Gallery. They have beautiful cars and charge $295 to put the cars in their huge showroom for 90 days. Their website says they usually have about 200 cars and sell about 800 a year. The $295 includes advertising on Ebay, Hemmings and lots of other places. I would imagine they charge 10% commission. My husband wants to try Ebay first...groan. Allan I say "groan" for all the reasons you listed.
Old August 4th, 2014, 06:35 AM

The restorer can't help you with the sale?
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a plan Karen but I would put a buy it now price of about $6k. If the minimum you'll accept is $4k then yes, that should be your reserve.
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Professur
The restorer can't help you with the sale?
??? Did you post this in the wrong thread? The car isn't being restored, just sold (hopefully)
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Is is unusual to think that people interested in classic cars might be customers of a restorer? I don't know any body shop or restorer that doesn't have a few cars of their own for sale at any given time.
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Karen is simply trying to sell her Delta 88 Royale Brougham and is considering having a company place it in their showroom instead of dealing with eBay. How does this have anything to do with it being 'restored' or help from 'the restorer' ? You may have a point, but I'm missing it in this thread because that was never part of the topic. Anyway - free bump. Hope someone here gives this a serious look.
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by RichardLaBonte
A man here in town who restores classic cars had told us to ask $5,000-$6,000 for our car which is how we came up with the $5,795 price.

*shrug* Sorry my posts confuse you so much Allan.
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No, my turn to apologize. I was looking at permalink 15 and overlooked that other one. Generally your posts don't confuse me at all, in fact some of them are downright entertaining. We're good.