Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

The Rallye 350 is now for sale.

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2014, 09:01 AM

The Rallye 350 is now for sale.

It is time to let my Rallye 350 go. We have decided to list it here before eBay.

I bought it in 1990 when I was 15 years old and I know the history of this car back to the mid 80s when it was still an original paint car. I have a couple poor quality pictures of it in it's original paint that I can include with the car. This is an original 4 speed, Rally Pack car with the numbers matching M-21 transmission. Has a 3.42 Anti Spin rear end, The Rally Pack is an original OEM set up. power steering, power disc brakes, buckets, console. The engine in not original but it is out of another 4 speed Rallye 350.

I took it down to the frame in 1998-1999 and replaced all the wear items. blasted and painted everything. I built this car with driving in mind. I used rubberized undercoat on most everything under the car. It does not look like the high end restorations under the car. The body got NOS front fenders, reproduction quarters, rust free doors and trunk lid, and a very nice original hood. The floor and trunk pans are the originals and never been patched. They are very solid. The interior is the worst part. I pulled it all out but never restored it. I just put the original 1970 interior back in. the headliner and carpet were replaced but the headliner has wrinkles. It is the first and last time for me to install one. The driver seat is not the original and has a K mart special seat cover on it. The interior is only driver quality. The radio hole has never been cut. Over all I consider the car as a real nice driver that you could take to local car shows. I will have to look it up but I don't think I have 12,000 miles on it since I restored the car.

I will add some pictures later. I don't have any good under hood and interior shots. I will have to pull it down from the lift to get them. I do already have 3 guys interested but lost track of who 2 of them are. Please let me know if you are one.

Just found some pictures. It is dirty under the hood in this picture. I need to clean the car something terrible.

$19,000 firm

SOLD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_3381.jpg (112.8 KB, 324 views)
100_3382.jpg (110.4 KB, 305 views)
100_3384.jpg (76.7 KB, 356 views)
100_3385.jpg (77.9 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by jensenracing77; March 3rd, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:26 AM

PM sent
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:43 AM

parts

If you convert it back to 4 speed please put me in line for the black console with dual gate & shifter. They would be an awesome upgrade in my 1970 W-31 car.

Good luck with the sale. I am sure it will be missed.
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Good luck Eric. Not an easy choice I'm sure.
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:02 PM

added pictures.
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Good luck.
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Looks like a really nice car
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Good luck Eric!
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I've been keeping track of your rebuild thread in which you said this time was coming. I wish you all the best on your sale and I'll be watching your rebuild.
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Thanks guys, I was talking to someone on the phone last night and he is interested in it. He will just flip the car if he gets it so maybe I am low like my wife thinks?
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Lance

Eric, good luck with your sell.

If this Rallye is your first car, it must be very hard to let it go.

A lot of car guys wish that they could have their first car back.

Not trying to make it harder on you, just saying.
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:17 PM

I have to back up a little. I have had some interest but All of them want it back to the 4 speed. I have decided to go ahead and convert it now. I pulled the shifter and console out tonight and seen just how dusty the car is right now. I am going to have to give it a real good cleaning and get it ready and relist it. It is still for sale but will be 3 or 4 weeks (weather permitting) till it is ready.
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:47 AM

It is now back to 4 speed and working very nice. I am going to start detailing it this coming week.

Last edited by jensenracing77; February 7th, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:33 AM

Here are some more of the interior. Most of it is the original 1970 interior.
Attached Images
100_4547.jpg (75.5 KB, 155 views)
100_4562.jpg (89.6 KB, 156 views)
100_4565.jpg (62.1 KB, 139 views)
100_4567.jpg (68.1 KB, 141 views)
100_4568.jpg (80.8 KB, 116 views)
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:59 AM

That's a really nice looking car in what appears to be very decent condition. Good luck with the sale.
Terry
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:16 AM
Runner

Looks nice, good luck on the sale.
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Looks like it is sold. A guy is sending a deposit and is picking it up on Wednesday of next week. I told him if it is still here on Thursday of next week It will be listed on eBay. He has been calling and emailing for the past 3 weeks. I started to think he was just killing my time. I don't like being so harsh on the time frame but it was going to be listed this week on ebay and now I have to hold off. I think he is going to come through now. Will be a part of me that is sad to see it go but I have other (Oldsmobile) things I want to do. To many cars, Not enough money....
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM

way to go

Congrats on the sale. Fingers crossed for you that buyer is not a flake.

Please check your PMs for details on shipping of the dual gate & console.

Dave
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Ive seen the car along with others you have Eric I enjoyed seeing a big part of history all sitting in one place. Its art. The Ralley was a beautiful car and almost going on ten years I still have my very first Oldsmobile and I know one day Ill cross the thought of passing it along but Its got a lot of history and family behind it. Good luck on the sale
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Best of luck with the sale Eric, and all of your future endeavors. They say timing is everything and what's meant to be is what is meant to be. I'm looking forward to seeing your W-30 throughout the restoration. I hope your deal goes through.
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM

I just don't get it. The guy called and emailed me for 2 weeks and then nothing for a week. Last weekend I decided to list it on eBay this week. He contacts me on Monday and I tell him I had decided to list it on ebay. He ask if there was anything he could do to keep it off of ebay. This is what I sent him.

I will not list it if I can get a $250 non refundable deposit. This would hold the car till Thursday 02-27-14, 4:00 PM. I Will list it on ebay that evening if it is still here. I would also prefer the deposit from Pay Pal.

He said he could not get it to my by pay pal and wanted to send a check. I said that would be fine but be sure the check is here by Thursday because I had planned to list it that night. I am a trusting person but he had drug me out long enough that i just didn't trust him much anymore.

I contact him Thursday morning to get a tracking number. He said he looked it up and it was out for delivery and I would have the check that day. He then called me at noon and said he can't make it next Wednesday and it will now be Friday. Well, the check has not showed up yet and it is Friday night.

I am not sure what I am doing now. I like selling parts but I am so sick of trying to sell cars because this is what always happens to me. I would like to list it on eBay but I will likely just get the same thing.

This guy may very well be sincere but the history I have with selling cars tells me no and move on.

Sorry for the rant
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:50 PM

Fyi

Put it on eBay. He's not coming.

Good Luck

Dave
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Put it on eBay. He's not coming.

Good Luck

Dave
X 2 to Dave's comments. There are 2 many ways to wire, FedEx, paypal, exchange money these days. If the check is in the mail it really isn't. But I agree with you Eric. Why do these guys do this.
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:35 PM

After I posted this I emailed him and ask what is going on and to call me ASAP. He called and he claims he sent the check. I told him I don't like selling cars because I always get the same thing as this. He don't talk like all the others and i want to believe him but i just don't because of to much past problems. In his email it has a business. I looked up the business and he is the owner and been in business since the 90s. I think I am just going to hold off and sell it after my roads get better. I have a mile of mud till I get to pavement. If he ever shows up in the mean time that is fine but I sure am not holding my breath.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:25 AM
Registered Luser

Eric, just put it on eBay. If the guy had the money for the car, you would have had a deposit immediately. Clean roads won't make a difference.....at least by listing it, even if it doesn't sell, it will get a good amount of exposure. People will be getting tax money back in 2 mos. Don't give up!
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
Administrator

I don't accept silly *** excuses from buyers. I would tell him if the car is there when he shows up with cash then it's his. I would state that you will not hold a car for anyone, first one with cash gets it. That puts a sense of urgency on his part to not drag his feet. When I sold cars for a living that's what I did, you'll be surprised at how they find time to get over there and buy.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:37 PM
eds

Kinda related, my wife and her sister have to sell their mom's Camry due to mom's dementia. Creampuff 09 - MIL was the classic little old lady when driving.

The MIL has enough $ that it isn't critical to get every dollar out of it, so we recommended just taking it to Car-Max and driving away w/ a check. Sister-in-law says she wants to advertise it, post it at work, ask around her friends... Yeah, in a perfect world, that would be the way to go. But how many deadbeat tirekickers does it take, or selling to a friend and then having something go wrong with the car, to make up for the extra cash from the private sale?

Like someone said upthread, it is FAR too easy to get cash to folk these days to have to put up with the old "check is in the mail" excuse. This looks like a really nice Rallye, and I've really been impressed with you from your posts, Eric. But seriously, yours isn't the only Rallye that is going to go for sale this year in the midwest. If someone doesn't know that he wants THAT car for THAT price RIGHT NOW, just don't waste everyone's time!
Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:05 PM

Eric, you are a decent guy and you always give peeps the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately people take advantage of that and it messes it up for everyone else. When you list the car you have to be firm on the price and know what your bottom line will be. If someone wants to buy it and you agree on a price they must have the deposit to you through paypal within 2-3 days and, the car must be picked up within a week or the car and deposit are gone. The buyer must arrange for transport or pick it up themselves.

By laying down the rules like that you get rid of a lot of the not so serious time wasters and tire kickers. The last few daily drivers I've owned I've sold out of my drive way instead of trading them in. The first one was a real PITA because I was too nice. After that no more!

Good luck. You will find someone who wants it and will appreciate it.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:17 PM

how much is the asking price on the ralley 350. didn't see it anywhere. thanks
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:13 PM

Good luck......TOUGH decision to let it go....I hope it goes to a good home.
Alex in Idaho USA
Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Neill
how much is the asking price on the ralley 350. didn't see it anywhere. thanks
$19,000 firm. If it don't sell on ebay i may work on the price a little.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:47 AM

LOL, He has sent me several emails since Friday night and I have not replied to any of them. He called me today to see what is going on. I told him I am listing it on eBay as soon as I can and if he is here before that it is ok but otherwise it is to late. I did not tell him when I am listing it but if I have it ready it will be Sunday evening. I just want to detail under the hood and inside the trunk better and get better pictures. I have it running and looking better than I have in a long time already. I used some SIM plastic paint on the lower carpet area of the door panels and turned out great! Also holding up well to me rubbing on it. Didn't know it was so easy to make them look good. If the guy does show up I need to raise my price,lol.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:06 AM

Stop the drama and put it on ebay already
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:48 PM

The guy was telling the truth. I just got the check and looked up the tracking number. It was out for delivery Last Wednesday like it was supposed to be. Somehow UPS then screwed up and sent it to NJ from my area and back today. It is all in the tracking. Here is the tracking number. 1Z6E2E670391608089
What do you think? Maybe he was serious the entire time? My past experience was telling me no. He called and said he will be here Friday. I told him it is going to eBay Sunday so he has till then. I guess if he don't I just got an extra $250 from his deposit.
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:04 PM

more

I have my fingers crossed for you that the deal goes through but I must say that a $250 deposit on a $19K car is not enough. A real deposit would have been at least $1000.

Hope he shows up. $250 guarantees nothing.

ps...do you have the console ready to ship? I need the final total & your payee details.

thanks

Dave
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:52 PM

I need to get to fedex and get a box. Sorry for taking so long. I will have it this week.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
L69

good luck eric wish i had the money for her
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:17 AM

Sold
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Sold

Congratulations of the sale Eric but keep the guys number. You're going to want it back someday