Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

70 w30

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Lansing built

70 w30

Not mine! "highly optioned car" I never seen the auto dimmer before!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...t_24958wt_1269

Pat
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:47 AM

w30

I would give it a black hat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
yellow-w30.jpg (105.2 KB, 69 views)
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Really nice looking car and looks really well done. Lots of options too (but I'm sure not eh only highly optioned W30 in existence). That Guide matic is not a factory installed option. At least it doesn't look anywhere near the ones I have seen and they could not be ordered with the ralley pac as both use the oil sending unit to control them. Never the less its a cool after market addition. Car also has hood lock, cruise, electric locks and windows. Loaded car well done. It has all the correct 1970 under hood cruise parts but the turn signal stalk is 71 and later - could have been a replacement part.

This car hasn't even seen dust. Not sure I could ever own a car this clean.
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vader
I would give it a black hat.
That's what my 70 looks like - though I'll be getting rid of the vinyl top when I fix the pinchweld rust.

As for this car, well "...At the top of the list was a very rare, special order color combination: Sebring Yellow with pearl interior and white vinyl roof...."

Again, some things (like Azteks) are rare for a reason.

I'm struggling with how you "spare no expense" on the resto, then use the crappy repro red inner fenders with the poorly-defined edge lines on the features. More to the point, how many of those options were actually on the car when it was born? He does have a broadcast card, which proves it's a W-30, but would the rear window defogger have been on the broadcast card? It's not. Finally, I'm still struggling with why you would add 500 lbs of options to what is supposed to be the ultimate performance car. Was it too fast otherwise and needed ballast? People still don't under stand that the A/C "W-30s" got the 285/287 cam, not the 328/328 W-30 cam. How they made the same HP is a mystery of the marketing department.
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Steven,
I think you looked to quickly at the turn signal lever. It is the correct one for a '70 with cruise. Maybe you saw the black button & thought it was a '71 lever? There is a pretty clear picture of it far to the right on the slide show.
I've never seen a Guidematic like that installed on a Cutlass either. It looks like a Cadillac unit on the fender?? They did have the nite watch option available, but it uses different components I think & had a button inside a under dash bracket that looks very similar to the hood lock bracket.
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Rear end is too fake looking. Just paint them black, much more correct than making them "look" bare metal.
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Guide-Matic

The guide-matic headlamp control was only available on the 88 and 98 models in 1970. It was available as a dealer installed option on those cars, part # 983095. I had the NOS complete package at one time. The "eye" that sits on the front fender was in a stainless steel housing.
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Steven,
I think you looked to quickly at the turn signal lever. It is the correct one for a '70 with cruise. Maybe you saw the black button & thought it was a '71 lever?
you are correct, its the correct unobtainium stalk.
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Can't recall the last time I saw power door locks on one of these ....

Is this the correct location of the switch ?.

Holy mother of god does that look like poo.

Old November 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM

What I can't get past is that beautiful engine compartment, where someone has put a lot of detail work into, having that clear radiator overflow hose (unless maybe it is part of a dealer installed overflow tank?)
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:26 PM

you have a point there. It looks like about the same position as a convertible but you are right it doesn't look like it would be correct I bet it is just not well laid out by the interior design team. I don't remember the last time I saw a 70 hardtop with PW either.

Last edited by stevengerard; November 27th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:49 PM

W-30

Very nice car with high quality restoration. I just have a hard time accepting the combinations of options. An engine block heater on an A/C car? All those options, but just an AM radio. I know the car did not come with a guide matic. This is what we did to cars back in the 1980's. It was easy to find all the add-ons, and create a loaded car. Just wondering.
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Think it's pretty much a given someone just threw everything but the kitchen sink at this car after the fact ... for re-$ale bragging right$.
Old November 27th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BeenThere
I just have a hard time accepting the combinations of options. An engine block heater on an A/C car? All those options, but just an AM radio.
That would be a perfect combination for Chicago.
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by costpenn
What I can't get past is that beautiful engine compartment, where someone has put a lot of detail work into, having that clear radiator overflow hose (unless maybe it is part of a dealer installed overflow tank?)
There was no factory overflow tank in 1970, so that's not "correct". Of course, the "Hurst Equipped" emblem isn't factory correct, either. Seems like a lot of incorrect details for what I assume is a six-figure asking price.
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There was no factory overflow tank in 1970, so that's not "correct". Of course, the "Hurst Equipped" emblem isn't factory correct, either. Seems like a lot of incorrect details for what I assume is a six-figure asking price.
Agree Joe P. That Hurst badge is unnecessary, but that hose just looks bad. It stands out and is so easily fixed.

I always find it interesting how many really otherwise nice Restos overlook the wiper motor, paint the booster, have an unfinished cowl area, poor detailling on wiper arms, don't do anything about harnesses or the pedals, and have scratched glass.
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:28 PM

I've seen this car and talked to the current owner (2nd owner) at length. My understanding is the original owner had a lot of options dealer installed. I don't know specifically which ones, but certainly the headlamp guide-matic, probably the block heater, the rear defogger (the unit is on the left side of the package tray, not in the center), maybe the trailer package. The over flow tank was dealer added and they used the clear hose, so he kept it that way. He told me the inner fenders are original with a thin coat of SEM paint on them.

We actually talked about trading my 70 W31 and cash for his W30. I upped my offer a number of times but I think I was ultimately still $10K short. I didn't want to go any higher for an automatic. There are a few items I noticed I would have corrected if I got the car, but I didn't think the car needed any excuses.
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM

He sent me an e-mail saying his reserve is $130K if anyone is intereted.
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Inquiring minds have to know (back to my door lock switch question from above) .....

Is that or is that not the correct placement ?.
Old November 29th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Lansing built

It took me a while to find a hardtop 442 with power locks. This one is in a slightly different spot.

Pat
Attached Images
0[1].jpg (74.7 KB, 72 views)
Old November 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM

Love that car! It was at Mecum 2011 (Kissimmee) and I got to chat extensively about it also. The first thing caught my eye was the guide-matic. Pretty cool though not norm for the Cutlass. Back then he said the original owner had dealer add items. He also showed me some vintage photos of it before resto and he seemed pretty meticulous and kept things as they were (like the clear hose). Also noticed that the mount bracket bolts are still attached to the frame for the trailer hitch, which again he said wanted to kept as it was.

The only difference then and now is that when it went to auction block back then the paint was fresh and not had trunk pin striping yet, nor did he have a Hurst emblem which I agree should have left off. Anyhow, I drouled over this car for two days! It's spectacular! And I remember it only got $90K bid (no sale).
Old November 29th, 2013, 03:08 PM

When I saw the car a year ago he still hadn't put on the trunk stripe. He told me that Jim Kryta said they were hand painted. He obviously got the stripe done and must of decided to add the Hurst emblem.

He was going to check with the original owner if she had the trailer hitch. Don't know if he did. I'm guessing the dealer added the air shocks at the time of the trailer package.

Nice car--but sounds like its now even further out of my reach!
Old November 29th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Inquiring minds have to know (back to my door lock switch question from above) .....

Is that or is that not the correct placement ?.

Here is a couple pics of my 1970 w30 with original interior. It has power locks and manual windows.
Attached Images
IMG_3338.jpg (56.8 KB, 70 views)
442 W-30 (8).jpg (50.0 KB, 54 views)
Old November 29th, 2013, 05:49 PM

I always liked the 70 "S" door panel design, almost nicer than the Supreme. The power door lock switches however, do look a little out of place compared to the Supreme designed panel. When I added them to my 71 Supreme panel I am sure the backs were perforated like the power window switches, so that's where GM decided they should go. What really stood out to me are the white windshield pillars, as they are black in 71 with a white interior, making for a different affect. Beautiful car.
Attached Images
IMG_20131119_154958.jpg (79.3 KB, 30 views)
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Guess some day if I ever had one with power locks I'd need to re-engineer some stuff.

My OCD couldn't handle that look.

Thanks peeps.
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:25 AM

Does that car belong to Neal? He was working on one like that,but I don't think it was yellow.I thought his was gold.