Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1969 442 Sport Coupe

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2013, 02:22 PM

1969 442 Sport Coupe

SOLD

With reluctance I am putting my 442 up for sale, a lot of the pics and build details are located at the link below (on this site.)

It is a non numbers matching car, it came out of California in the early 80s. I have had it a couple of years and know most everything there is to know about it. It is currently not running, the Muncie is out and on my work bench. There was some vibration in it and a drippy rear seal. So I took it apart to inspect and found the rear bushing in the trans is bent a bit, not sure why but I think all it needs is a new bushing and seal installed. It is an easy and cheap fix, I'm tired of working on it. We just bought a new house and I am not going to have time for wrenching for a while.

Anyway, on to the details of the car.

Body is pretty solid but not perfect. There is a little bit of filler in the lower rear quarters, a couple of blisters in the corners of the doors (about the size of an eraser head) and the drivers lower fender was patched. The passengers floor shows some pinholes that I treated with POR15, the rest of the floors, trunk, rockers, etc are excellent. The OAI hood is no longer with the car. I put the original back on and it is in grey primer (the hood, not the car.) The paint is very shiny and is driver quality. Not a show car at all.

The interior is decent, nice dash, carpet and door panels newish, seats were redone before I got it, correct pattern but wrong material. The headliner though nice is the original gold color, as are the rear side panels and package tray.

The engine according to the last owner is a .030 over recently rebuilt 455. I have no receipts for the engine build but have no reason to doubt what he told me. He said it has less than 20k on it, TRW forged pistons, Lunati Bracketmaster II cam, G heads, F block, has a 750 Demon carb with a working electric choke, has a breakerless ignition conversion. The engine runs very strong, doesn't get hot, starts easy everytime. It does smoke a little bit if it sits and idles for a while. I am guessing vale seals or maybe an intake gasket leak. I don't know, it is not bad and has good oil pressure and always ran well so I didn't worry about it. Just mentioning it for the sake of full disclosure.

It was a factory th400 car, I converted it over to a low mile Muncie out of a '66 442, it is an M20. I installed a new flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, etc. I have driven the car through all the gears and the trans shifted fine, no grinding or anything like that. There was a vibration as I said above. I was also having trouble getting the clutch adjusted right, I think it will need on adjustable pivot installed on the bellhousing to get the clutch right.

The rear is a 70 TM code (W30 only) Olds 12 bolt, it was completely gone through, blasted powder coated, etc. All new brake parts too.

Anyway, below are some pics. I want $9000 for it and would consider a full or partial trade for something turn key, 442/gto/amx/trans am/firebird, etc. Any condition considered, just something I can get in and drive.

067.jpg

066.jpg

011-2_zpsbe25f92d.jpg

006_zps5d6aeae6.jpg

Last edited by j_link; October 12th, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added pics
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Seems like a nice car for the money.
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:48 PM

heck of a lot of car for the money.
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:42 AM

Thank you both, I hope it finds a good home. If not I will keep plugging away at it.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Runner

Looks nice, good luck on the sale.
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Man, your car would be in my yard tomorrow if I had some extra cash!
Good price and ,as said, a heck of a lot of car for the money.....I should sell the 68 442 and buy yours! Ummmm
Want a 61 Buick?I will even put some Foose rims on it:
Good luck with the sale Jon!

Ted
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Thanks guys.

The truth is I am already having second thoughts. I'm just frustrated that it has been apart for nearly a year now, off and on. It really needs very little to put it back on the road. I have come so far with it I hate to give up on it now.

We bought a house that is nearly 100 years old and there is a lot that was not disclosed by the sellers and missed by our housing inspector. So the house is now the project that takes precedence.

Also the weather for cruising is perfect here right now. If someone takes it before the weather turns rotten I will let it go, if not I will continue the build thread and have it more than ready for spring!

Ted, hope the '68 is still coming along well. I had hoped to do something along those lines with the barn find 442 I had. The estimate for quarters and trunk floor I got changed my mind (along with our house project.)