Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1975 88 vert

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Lansing built

1975 88 vert

Not mine! another craigslist. Very nice car!
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3596334013.html

Pat
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Beautiful car.

I always wondered why Oldsmobile stopped putting the word "Rocket" on the air cleaner decal. My '73 455 has it ("Oldsmobile Rocket 455"), but I think starting in 1974 and through the end of the 455 in '76, it just said "Oldsmobile 455." Were they too embarrassed by the significant detuning, etc., that had been going on that, by the last few years of its production, had reduced the 455 to just a shell of its former self?
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Registered Luser

Beautiful car!
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Not mine! another craigslist. Very nice car!
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3596334013.html
Still way high on pricing even though it's a gorgeous car. I wish some of these sellers would list the features of the car in their ad. From looking at the really low quality resolution I can see PW, PDL, AC, AM/FM (8track?). No mention of Cruise, power seat, power trunk, ejector seat etc.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I always wondered why Oldsmobile stopped putting the word "Rocket" on the air cleaner decal. Were they too embarrassed by the significant detuning, etc.,
I think you answered your own question. Also, after 1974 Olds started putting Chev and Buick engines into their cars, so the term 'Oldsmobile Rocket' would have been a misnomer don't you think?
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Another nice car in dire need of an upper side-body moulding-ectomy.

Old February 11th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I can tell, you really hate those things don't you? FWIW I could never see the point of having them up there where they serve absolutely no protection against door dings.

Here's one that has had the molding ectomy for you.

Even back in 72 they had that ridge line molding - only thinner. I think that wide molding started in 73 and carried forward.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Now /\ that's /\ much better.

Thanks ... I needed that.

Old February 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Always room for one more

I'd have to say no to the cruise, Allan, it doesn't look like there's a button in the turn signal stalk, and no switch on the dash. And you're right, for that much money he should have a much bigger description.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Lansing built

$15k seems to be a common starting point on something of this quality!
But asking and getting are two different things, hmm seems to remind of my high school days.

Pat
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Still way high on pricing even though it's a gorgeous car. I wish some of these sellers would list the features of the car in their ad. From looking at the really low quality resolution I can see PW, PDL, AC, AM/FM (8track?). No mention of Cruise, power seat, power trunk, ejector seat etc.

I think you answered your own question. Also, after 1974 Olds started putting Chev and Buick engines into their cars, so the term 'Oldsmobile Rocket' would have been a misnomer don't you think?
Hey Allan,

Just curious, which Oldsmobiles had Chevy or Buick engines in them after '74? I could see the removal of "Rocket" due to the downtuning but it's still an Olds 455! Fusick actually made an error and sent me an "Oldsmobile 455 Rocket" decal a while ago. When I called to get exchange it, they just sent me the correct one and let me keep the "Rocket" decal. It's proudly displayed on the lid of my toolchest

And yes, this is a beautiful Royale. Not too many 455 convertibles left in that kind of condition. Very nice but can't afford it now!
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Beautiful car.

I always wondered why Oldsmobile stopped putting the word "Rocket" on the air cleaner decal. My '73 455 has it ("Oldsmobile Rocket 455"), but I think starting in 1974 and through the end of the 455 in '76, it just said "Oldsmobile 455." Were they too embarrassed by the significant detuning, etc., that had been going on that, by the last few years of its production, had reduced the 455 to just a shell of its former self?
I've always wanted to know why the valve covers stopped saying OLDSMOBILE?? I have a set on my red '76 that came off of an earlier year motor. I love how they look and on that car, originality isn't as important to me.

And in my opinion, the last year 455's may not be the monsters that the early years were, but they're hardly embarassing. They're still very powerful when you factor in the torque and they're also incredibly reliable. I've heard that the lower compression engines tend to last longer. I think the biggest issue with the later year engines is the limitation on the exhausts. I've put duals on both of my cars with no coverters and they both woke up rather nicely. Big as they are, these are hardly slow cars.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Nice car, I wonder if he is on the registry? http://www.1975oldsmobileconvertible.com/
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Lansing built

According to Wikipedia 1975 added the 250 inline 6 which we have seen before and 231 V6, I would assume that Omega and Starfires got these engines?

Pat
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John,
Sorry, didn't mean to infer that Olds 455's weren't a proper engine and I know you take a lot of pride in your Regency's.

Actually 1973/74 the Omega used a Chevy engine as the standard power plant. Other Olds lines that migrated to Chev and Buick power were the Starfire and Cutlass. Cutlass had Chevy 6 cyl as early as 1975. After 1988, I think all the engines were just "GM" instead of brand name production as GM started losing market share.

re: Valve Covers. My 72 never came with stamped covers. In the 70's the only ones I'm aware of were the 73/74 VC's that had the Oldsmobile stamping on them. Prior to that I think you'd have to go back to the 50's when the rocket was introduced?
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Also, after 1974 Olds started putting Chev and Buick engines into their cars, so the term 'Oldsmobile Rocket' would have been a misnomer don't you think?
I think we have to get our timing right here.

First, though, if there was a possibility of a Chevy engine, then I would assume that the word Oldsmobile wouldn't appear on the air cleaner at all, period. "Oldsmobile 455" on the air cleaner of the engine in a '75 Delta 88 still implies that it's an Olds-built engine, whether or not the term "Rocket" appears there.

Getting back to the issue of time-frame, it wasn't until after the 455 era, in 1977, that Olds was caught putting Chevy engines in their cars without telling anyone. Again, I assume that, if the car came equipped with such an engine, it didn't say "Oldsmobile" on the air cleaner. But I wonder if this was actually true.

From what I've read, owners of '77 Oldsmobiles with Chevy engines often didn't become aware of their non-Olds engine until they went to have the oil changed at a non-Olds shop or to buy parts and discovered that things didn't fit. You would think that, if it said "Chevrolet 350" on the air cleaner, the owner would have noticed their non-Olds engine early on, well before the car needed to go in for its first regular maintenance.

A Pontiac 400 was available on the Delta 88, according to Setting the Pace, in 1974 only, and, from what I've heard, not many were sold that way. I assume that engine's decal didn't say Oldsmobile on it at all.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Always room for one more

I'm getting closer and closer to buying one of these cars. I wouldn't spend 15K on one but this one sure gets me thinking.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Another nice car in dire need of an upper side-body moulding-ectomy.
I actually have the exact opposite take on this. I've seen these without the side-molding, and I think the car looks bare or unfinished. It needs something to break up the large slab of body panel running the length of the car.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:35 PM
"Car"mudgeon

This ought to clear up any questions on the power teams for '75

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM

Thank you, and I have to correct something I said above. A 400 WAS available for '75, as your image shows, as well as '74. It was not available for '76.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM
"Car"mudgeon

No problem jaunty
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I actually have the exact opposite take on this. I've seen these without the side-molding, and I think the car looks bare or unfinished. It needs something to break up the large slab of body panel running the length of the car.
I agree in most similar situations ... but the execution in this case was rather lame.

A smaller slither of stainless along the top similar to say ... some of the 68 88's or a more mid-body molding would have looked much nicer IMHO.

Regardless ...

I certainly wouldn't kick this car out of my garage if I woke up next to it in the morning.

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:32 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
I certainly wouldn't kick this car out of my garage if I woke up next to it in the morning.

Me either brother IMO $15k is right on unless there is hidden rust or frame damage.
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Lansing built

If anyones has 15k burning a hole in their pocket, there is a gent that lives about 3 blocks away that has a 75 Delta royal vert, if memory serves medium blue white top and seats with around 23k on it. My wife has seen it up close and says it is nice with a few minor flaws
Looks like a twin to the one pictured in Setting the pace.

This same guy always yells out "nice car " when ever I scoot by with the Supreme.
I should do the nobile thing and stop and chat,
Pat
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I'd have to say no to the cruise, Allan, it doesn't look like there's a button in the turn signal stalk, and no switch on the dash. And you're right, for that much money he should have a much bigger description.
It does have cruise, the stalk isn't clear in the pic but the switch one the dash is there and it's factory, not the dealer add-on with the decal so it's correct.

John,
Sorry, didn't mean to infer that Olds 455's weren't a proper engine and I know you take a lot of pride in your Regency's.

Hey Allan, I wasn't taking offense to your comment at all trust me. I just never heard of the Buick or Chevy engines in Olds' but in the small body cars makes sense to me now that I think about it.

re: Valve Covers. My 72 never came with stamped covers. In the 70's the only ones I'm aware of were the 73/74 VC's that had the Oldsmobile stamping on them. Prior to that I think you'd have to go back to the 50's when the rocket was introduced
I love those old Rocket valve covers but the ones I'm talking about just say Oldsmobile and have the more current 10 bolt mounting for a 350/455. I got them in a yard years ago and I think the came off an earlier 70's Cutlass or maybe a Delta. I just don't get why they would stop something like that...it's like in their final years when they didn't even say Oldsmobile on the outside of some of the cars...so sad how they tried to hide the name of such a long lived historical brand.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John, did they look like this? If they do, they are 73/74; nothing else. As you know VC's are really easy to swap out from one car to another. I had 2 sets of these that I sold not realizing how much people felt they were worth more....
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Always room for one more

Where is the switch for the cruise? I can see the fan switch, and the switch to the right of the headlights is what I thought was for the top. The something to the left is what I can't make out.

I did however just notice the hula girl in the middle of the dash.
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:21 AM

John, did they look like this? If they do, they are 73/74; nothing else. As you know VC's are really easy to swap out from one car to another. I had 2 sets of these that I sold not realizing how much people felt they were worth more....
Hey Allan, yep that's them. I believe it was a '73 now that you mention it but this was years ago. Good to know they are only from 2 years and that they have some value. I'll make sure to grab them anytime I see them in the future. Thanks! Again, I wish they just kept making these through any years that used the same VC's....why bother changing something like this? I wish it was correct for '76 because they'd look so nice on my black 98 but since I'm a stickler for originality on that car, I only have them on the red one.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Where is the switch for the cruise? I can see the fan switch, and the switch to the right of the headlights is what I thought was for the top. The something to the left is what I can't make out.

I did however just notice the hula girl in the middle of the dash.
Hi Slant, the switch to the right of the headlight switch is the Cruise main on/off. The power top switch on these cars is located below the radio. I do not believe the hula girl to be factory
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
I do not believe the hula girl to be factory
Shocker!

BTW, those 73/4 VC's were always just one color - olds gold or blue even on the raised lettering. But I've seen a lot of innovative and beautiful work done to them. Food for thought?

IMG00157.jpg

Old February 12th, 2013, 12:11 PM

those look awesome! with a steady hand and not much build up of the paint, I guess you could do the lettering by hand, right?
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I think so. If you're good with cutting paint when you do your house this should be a breeze. Just take your time, use a good brush and have something to brace against when doing the lines. The other way you could do it would be to mask over the letters and cut out the profiles, then paint.
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hi Slant, the switch to the right of the headlight switch is the Cruise main on/off. The power top switch on these cars is located below the radio. I do not believe the hula girl to be factory
Ah I see it now!
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:45 AM

I think so. If you're good with cutting paint when you do your house this should be a breeze. Just take your time, use a good brush and have something to brace against when doing the lines. The other way you could do it would be to mask over the letters and cut out the profiles, then paint.
Gotta try that one day. More parts should scream OLDSMOBILE like that!