Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Amazingly rust free '70 F85. Great W31 clone candidtate.

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM

Amazingly rust free '70 F85. Great W31 clone candidtate.

PRICE DROP.

Don't really want to sell, but here goes. Up for sale if a 1970 F85. This is one of the most rust free cars I've ever seen.
Here is the story. I bought it from the original owners son. His mother ordered it new in Arizona & it spent most of it's life there. Her son brought the car to Indiana in 2000 when his work got transfered here. It sat inside a warehouse from 2000 to 2008 when he lost his job. Then the car sat outside in the parking lot for several months including one winter. The car never moved once it hit the parking lot & as a result, never has seen salt. I bought the car late 2009.
Being an Arizona car, the weather strips are hard, crunchy, & falling apart. As a result of that, water got in the car & when I bought it, there was about 1" of water in the floor boards. That explains the surface rust.
The only rust hole is on the passenger side front floor board about the size of a pencil eraser. Other than that, there is no rust through anywhere on the car, just light surface rust in a few places.
I have the original window sticker & lots of maintence records. The car has like 95,200? or so miles.
Being a F85, it came standard with the 350 2bbl, 4 wheel manual drum brakes, rubber floor mat, poverty caps & single exhaust. I removed the rubber mat & insulation & still have it. It does have some rips & tears in it, but not junk.
The original owner ordered AC, AM radio, power steering, heavy duty cooling, black vinyl top, soft ray window, safety sentinel speedo, & TH 350. trans. The car was originally Sterling Silver? or Pewter, can't remember for sure, with a black vinyl top, & blue interior.
The car has a crappy '80's Maaco repaint, newer windshield, a newer vinyl top, headliner, & seat covers were installed in about '85. I removed the aftermarket seat covers from the rear seat & back of the front seat. The front seat bottom still has the cover on it, as I can feel a hole in the original vinyl under my butt. The paint started to peel/fall off the pass. fender & door, so the P.O. put a little primer on those areas. No body damage there, just bad paint. Also, the P.O. added carpet to the trunk & that held a little water hence the surface rust in the quarters.
Other than the bottom of the front seat, the seat material is very nice, as are the door panels, & dash. The car has all original body panels, the original bumpers, lenses, steel wheels, caps, etc.. The stainless & chromed pot metal trim are all in very nice condition. The front bumper has a push in dent in it.
When I got the car, the coolant & gas had been drained for long term storage. I added coolant, changed the oil, changed the master cylinder(still have original), added fresh gas & with very little drama or trouble, the car started right up & runs really well, although I'm sure it could use a tune up & good check out. I've driven it very little since it is not plated or insured at the moment.
There is simply no rust(other than surface) on the car, check out the pictures & come inspect it for yourself. With a OAI hood & a couple emblems, this would make a pretty nice W31 clone.
Not sure where to start price wise, so how about $9,000.00. It may see ebay soon if no takers here.
Link to pictures & I can get more if desired. Car is located in Indianapolis.
http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/a...ds/1970%20F85/
Scott
c. 317-727-7041

Last edited by oldspackrat; November 7th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM

I've seen this car - definitely a solid car!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
i've seen this car - definitely a solid car!
x2
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Now on ebay. auction number 300812893731
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:11 PM

Same dealership my Rallye 350 sat at for a year and a half, before it sold. Holiday Olds in Scottsdale
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Interesting F85, Speed Minder (safety sentinel?) Manual brakes, AC? Vinyl top too. Probably ordered that way I guess.

Tom
68 442 convt
70 F85
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:06 PM

Ive always wondered what that steering wheel came from!, awhile back here in washington, there was a car dealership advertising a "70 hurst olds" However when you look at the car in the ad, it was a yellow 70 that looked just like a Rallye. had the stripes and everything. But the interior was a tan bench with that funny 2 spoke steering wheel.

Must have been an F85 someone painted and sold and the dealership obviously didnt know what a hurst olds was