Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

FS 1971 Cutlass S. Good deal for someone

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Arrrggggg

FS 1971 Cutlass S. Good deal for someone

----------------
Cliff Notes: (For the lazy reader)
Lots of money invested 7k to be exact. Lots of parts new, NOS and Used. 3300 without bumpers, tail lights or exhaust. 4200 as it sits drive it away. Receipts go with as well as all documentation and original parts I pulled off. Check build thread for even more reading.
----------------

---------------
Expanded version -----
---------------
So I don't have room for the 70 and 71. Thought I was going to keep them both but unfortunatly I can't and won't. I have put a lot of time and money into the 71. Over 7k has (verifiable receipts will go with) been invested on this car. Granted, it wasn't a frame off and I did alot of the work myself. One would think 7k into a Cutlass S that thing should be top notch but we all know Cutlass parts are double and triple Chevy parts. 7k Is a drop in the bucket on an Oldsmobile restore. Body work is decent, rear where the quarters were welded on needs some attention. Not the welds it'self but above the welded are was dings, dents and pits and the guy who was helping me do quarters did all that body work. Let's just say u can tell what parts of the car I did and where I didn't. It looks like crap and will need redone. I did spray the car in laquer so resanding and respraying after fix will be a breeze. I have extra paint that will go with as well.

Alot of the parts I put on the car were either used in excellent shape from Scott or Eric, NOS Ebay, and what I couldn't find NOS or used locally or in decent condition I bought repops.

The price of the car is 3300.00 as is the way it sits with trim parts that needs to be put on. I am selling it without bumpers or tail lights and the new exhaust system will not go with it either. Those 3 things are not included in the price of the car. If you want the car with them, complete as it sits, running and can drive it away it's 4200.00. I gave 1500.00 plus 7300 (to be exact) went into parts and an additional 500 went into having work done on it by someone else(quarter installtion and some body work). My asking of 3300 is more than fair considering that parting it alone will damn near net a person double that.

This car, with a little work could make someone an excellent car to putt around in. Don't expect a totally restored car if your interested. I mean comon, it's priced at 3300 bucks. title is clean, car has actual 89k miles on it. Motor is out of a 76 with #8 herads and was rebuilt 2 months prior to my buying. Verified with machine shop receipts. Transmission is a TH350 rebuilt locally with new modulator, kickdown, etc. Shifts nice and smooth and quick. Have tons of nice trim I bought from scott and eric that will go with and needs put on. Door panels as well. Seats in the car are immaculate, carpet is new, deluxe seat belts, sport steering wheel with some grain left, Headers, AC car with working compressor, all hoses and new orings. New evap drier, NOS bug shield and head light surrounds, rust free trunk lid, NOS headlight trim rings, Excelent chrome mirror with no pits or rust, complete brand new disc conversion with new master, calipers, shoes, hoses, metering valve, wheel bearings, rotors, etc etc. Rear brake drums, shoes, parts all new, rear axle seals new, New upper and lower ball joints, new shocks monroe sensatrac's all the way around, new rear HD springs, new quad core radiator, fan shroud, New sway bar end links, new sway bar bushings, new tie rods, new battery, new starter, new flowmaster headers, HEI distributor with Mallory coil, all new plugs, wires, alternator, water pump, new radiator overflow bottle, door handles, new locks all the way around including trunk, new wipers, trim is all nice and polished, new window trim clips, still have all the vinal top chrome trim in excellent shape including curved pieces, new package tray, used set of nice rear arm rests, Trunk, Door, Roof rail, Quarter Glass weatherstripping is all brand new, and much more. Even have alot of the original parts including exhaust manifolds, breather, trim, etc etc.

Dash pad is in excellent shape with no loose, cracked, or otherwise messed up trim pieces. All new turn signal relays, fuses, and wiring to some items. Doors close like the car was brand new. So lots of goodies on this car and could easily part out and get a small fortune. Car will run and drive, runs cool, timed right, idles fine, fires right up, drives decent, one of the backing plates needs adjusted as it scratches a little making a noise but other wise fine car. Needs some parts I have installed. All window cranks, door handles, etc are in good condition. AC box, blower motor, condensor all are reconditioned and in excellent shape.

Just a damn good base for someone to either have a good drivable starter project car that someone else did all the main work to or a parts car with excellent parts on it. Car is garage kept in Indianapolis, doesn't leak water as seals are new on windows. Paint still needs wet sanded and buffed but what little I did already is like glass when it's done!

Fresh out of paint with no sand, cut or buff. Yea I know I painted my tail pipe! LOL Yes the green I painted is rather unique but it looks better in person. I actually love the color myself. Good thing it's laquer and it's fresh, and laquer is soft so this paint would slide right off with stripper easily enough if someone wants to repaint.

Sanded lightly on the fender and ran synthetic compound followed by finess it on a foam and it was like glass. My point to these 2 pictures is they say that if you look at a long light in paint it should have straight lines the straighter the smoother the paint with no orange or anything. I did very little to this panel and thats pretty straight. More straight than my brand new 35k trucks factory paint job. Someone scuff and cut it correct that thing would look impressive. Never knew laquer could be so smooth but I guess thats why they still use it on show cars to this day.

Paint would get even better if sanded, buffed, polished then glazed. I just went over it extremely light with 2000 then buffed. Matter of fact, I felt as if I didnt even need to sand, buffing would have got it polished as well.

Last edited by Creativeindy; August 24th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

That's a shame to hear you can't keep them both. 3300 or 4200 is decent price all things considered. IMHO the biggest obstacle you've got in terms of sales is the color. Should post a pic of it now that you've got it all done with trim on. Would likely make the market look closer at the car? Good luck with the sale.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Folks on here like pictures of engines and moving stuff. Any luck with some under hood stuff?

That's a damn good price for what you're selling. i'd throw some clearcoat on it and drive it for 100K miles.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by Allan R
That's a shame to hear you can't keep them both. 3300 or 4200 is decent price all things considered. IMHO the biggest obstacle you've got in terms of sales is the color. Should post a pic of it now that you've got it all done with trim on. Would likely make the market look closer at the car? Good luck with the sale.
Havent put any of the trim on. WHat you see in the picture is how it sits right now outsides of the front clip being polished out and super shiny. I dont plan on installing the trim Ill let the future buyer have some fun. If it doesn't sell at this price within a week Im going to yank this ad, and it will be parts only and I will send the core to scrap and shread the title. Or throw some Tanerite on it and have a sunday gunday. My price is more than fair for as it sits. When I was looking the price of this car was my asking and it was all rusted out junk pile. Heck, I can't even find a comparable priced in even close to condition with all the new parts and conversion car out there.

Yea color could set it back but like anything color is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think gold cars are ugly so I myself would pass on a gold cutlass no matter how nice it was. Someone doesn't like the green paint...well I guess the positive is paint is cheap now a days. HAHA

Unfortunatly when I got the 442 my wife was going to take this one over and she kinda lost intrest in it after a day and doesn't want to mess with finishing it or driving it. We have to many toys and not enough space unfortunatly. Hopefully it sells if not Ebay fodder for parts it will become. Worst case Im out a tad of time pulling and shipping but it's all good cause I can almost guarantee to get well over my asking in parts value. in current market.

Last edited by Creativeindy; August 24th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Folks on here like pictures of engines and moving stuff. Any luck with some under hood stuff?

That's a damn good price for what you're selling. i'd throw some clearcoat on it and drive it for 100K miles.
Clear coat is not needed for laquer paint...well unless its going to be stored out doors and in the elements year around. They make a laquer clear but most of the hot rod guys locally with super expensive paint jobs said don't put it on so I didn't. I'm no paint guy but I researched everything before I painted it. IMHO Laquer is WAAAAAY more shiney then BBCC when done right. Anyone serious enough about the car who isn't a tire kicker can request pictures and I'll gladly go snap some. As of now I have to many other things going on and lack of pictures will hopefully work in my favor to eliminate the tire kickers. LOL Hopefully.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Creativeindy
Clear coat is not needed for laquer paint...well unless its going to be stored out doors and in the elements year around. They make a laquer clear but most of the hot rod guys locally with super expensive paint jobs said don't put it on so I didn't. I'm no paint guy but I researched everything before I painted it. IMHO Laquer is WAAAAAY more shiney then BBCC when done right. Anyone serious enough about the car who isn't a tire kicker can request pictures and I'll gladly go snap some. As of now I have to many other things going on and lack of pictures will hopefully work in my favor to eliminate the tire kickers. LOL Hopefully.
Just trying to help the sale!

Wish you had this around when i was buying my cutlass. I paid 1000 dollars and it's needed almost 7000 to get it where it is today....

I agree! i have a laquor paint on my car with no clearcoat right now (also painted it myself but it was my first paintjob so it's kinda crappy..)
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Tony! You interested in a stablemate for your bamboo car?

C: Why don't you put up an ebay ad concurrent with this one's running and post the link for any interested members? That would really increase the market awareness and hopefully sell the car. Fair number of members here are members of other Olds sites and could pass along the info too.

If you're expecting 4200 as it sits? List it with that reserve and see how it goes? Just a thought - Would hate to see all that work go to parting out a nice car.
re: Paint is cheap?? Not where I go to buy it. But like you said - easy enough to change colors if someone wants to.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Tony! You interested in a stablemate for your bamboo car?

C: Why don't you put up an ebay ad concurrent with this one's running and post the link for any interested members? That would really increase the market awareness and hopefully sell the car. Fair number of members here are members of other Olds sites and could pass along the info too.

If you're expecting 4200 as it sits? List it with that reserve and see how it goes? Just a thought - Would hate to see all that work go to parting out a nice car.
re: Paint is cheap?? Not where I go to buy it. But like you said - easy enough to change colors if someone wants to.

HAHA Yea let me rephrase it a second. Paint is cheap in my eyes LOL I figured to paint in Laquer was gonna be expensive from reading Oldsmaniacs thread when he painted in red laquer. This laquer ran me 120 a gallon I thought that was pretty cheap. I also have 2 gallons of base coat green thats more of a Dodge muscle car sublime green but I liked this one better. I also have a gallon of clear and hardner for base coat that im gonna throw in with this car. The base coat green I just mentioned is Oldsmobile green that came special ordered on some oldsmobiles? I think it looks like Dodge Hemi Green myself. I local paint supply guy told me about 71 Cutlass with green paint code so I had him mix it for me sight un-seen and like I said, it looks like dodge green.

Truth is, I just hate to do the whole ebay thing to sell a car, been there done that. I really hope someone local or someone from here buys it for project/parts or whatever. I guess when It gets to the ebay direction is when I start ripping it apart. Never figured it would be hard to sell considering what the buyer gets for 3300.

I'll feel it out here a couple days and see what goes on. Like I said, i'm in no hurry other than one of the other needs to be parked outside and right now its the 442. 3 1/2 car garage and I have no room
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Just trying to help the sale!

Wish you had this around when i was buying my cutlass. I paid 1000 dollars and it's needed almost 7000 to get it where it is today....

I agree! i have a laquor paint on my car with no clearcoat right now (also painted it myself but it was my first paintjob so it's kinda crappy..)
Thanks bud!, Yea were about in the same boat. I gave 1500 for mine, threw another 1500 in it before I left the town I bought it in. Drive it back 120 miles with a tranny that was throwing fluid out from dry rot seals. Another 6.5k and 2 months later and presto. It is where its at now which is a hell of a decent base for someone. WHen I bought this one all the cutlass I seen around and looked at for 3k range were rusted out, piles of **** worse than my 1500.00 one. Or they were slanged together with junk and duct tape or missing all the expensive to replace parts. Granted, I could have about 4k less than this one if I had just patch paneled my fenders, bondo the quarters, didnt do the brake conversion, didn't rebuild the tranny, buy new and NOS parts when the old were just faded and pitted, etc etc.

It will sell where it's at I have no doubt about that someone will snag this baby up.
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:11 AM

pm sent
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Well tryed to send PM, but my sent messages said I didn't , so if anybody has contact info, PM me.

Tony give me a call 815 488 1830.

Thanks,

Todd
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Good luck with the sale. I too would have been interested last year when I bought my 72. I spent close to same money (unfinished price) but your car is in better shape.
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:02 AM
Arrrggggg

Unfortunately this car is no longer for sale local. I am going to throw on ebay set my reserve, do a 7 day if it sells cool if not it will be taken to a lot and parted out. I know for a fact I can get my money by parting it, truth is I just hate to see it parted out. I also don't really want to mess with parting it out, the phone calls, the pictures, blah. If I have to I will or I may just dump it in a barn and forget about it for 40 years. Then it might be worth something. Truth is I haven't really tried to push to sell this. I only listed it on here and told very few people about it locally. If I took it to the right area and parked it the car would probably be sold in a day and you would see it a week later with 26" rims on it. Not to stereo type but it's sad but true.

I lowered this car price to 3k as it sits minus new rear bumper and I **** you not every single person coming to see it expected a full frame off restored car. I mean you can barely find a running, rusted out, missing half the parts, drum all the way around, piece of **** box with cracked dash and torn up seats for 3k or less. Oh well, not going to give away the car so if ebay 7 day doesn't get it done then parts it will be. So if anyone needs good priced parts off this baby get the list ready. I will snap a few pictures of the hot items I know will sell quick and the rest I will part as a per need basis.

Thanks for all interested.