Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

71 SX convertible

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM

71 SX convertible

this SX has sit for 10 to 12 years. before it was parked it was redone with NOS front fenders and back quarters and painted. it also had an OAI hood, new top installed and new seat covers. the top needs adjusted. after it was done it was parked and not used. there are some issues that will have to be addressed before it is road worthy. i have not started it yet but sure it will run with just a little work. i will have to look but i think it has the original transmission in it. it comes with the original engine that is apart and looks good. the 455 that is in it is out of a 70 toronado. if interested PM me your phone number and we can talk about it. i don't have much time to work on it so i am trying to sell it as it sits for now. if no luck i will eventually fix it up and get it road worthy.

posi
8 track
dual gate
power windows work
power top works
am radio

$13,000
100_7834.jpg?t=1336002917

100_7830.jpg?t=1336002964
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:32 PM

Wow! That's a nice looking car Eric! Good Luck with the sale!

John
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:30 AM
Runner

An SX was what got be hook to Oldsmobiles. This one looks great. Blue, black interior, bucket seats... nice stuff! Good luck with the sale.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:49 AM

wow nice car - interesting, wonder if the 8 track is original with an AM only radio
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hey Eric

I own a 71 that came with AM radio and 8track. Is this cutlass a lansing built car??
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM

it is a Michigan car. if i can sell the other 71 convertible i plan to start working on this one and get it road worthy. it needs brake work and the tank needs changed.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:01 PM
MOTORHEAD

Would you be so kind as to share the VIN please

Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM

i would be willing to bet it is not registered yet with the SX registry. the guy i got it from owned it since 1986 and i feel sure he never registered it. the VIN is
342671M107297

i did find 2 cracks in the fiberglass of the hood. i can come down on the price if someone would want the original hood and i keep the OAI hood. the original hood was painted at the same time the car was so it would match.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Runner

If no one here contacts you, you should post it on sx455.com as well. Free to post ads there. http://sx455.com/content.aspx?page_i...odule_id=80892
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i would be willing to bet it is not registered yet with the SX registry. the guy i got it from owned it since 1986 and i feel sure he never registered it. the VIN is
342671M107297

i did find 2 cracks in the fiberglass of the hood. i can come down on the price if someone would want the original hood and i keep the OAI hood. the original hood was painted at the same time the car was so it would match.
Which is a good deal for the purist, as the W25 hood was not available on the SX.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:26 AM

hood

was the hood available on other Cutlasses besides the 70 Rallye, 70 W31 and 72 HO ?
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
was the hood available on other Cutlasses besides the 70 Rallye, 70 W31 and 72 HO ?
Sure. It was available on most of the V8 coupes. But not the Cutlass Supreme. Except for the '72 W30 Converible.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Any V8 Cutlass Coupe or convertible '72 Cutlass Supreme could've been ordered with it. And mine of course, which is a hardtop coupe Cutlass Supreme and was special ordered with it along with tons of goodies.

See very 1st option...
I'll stand by my statement. I believe yours was indeed a "special order" and not available otherwise. You may even have the only '72 Supreme hardtop with one. When was yours built?
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by wmachine
I'll stand by my statement. I believe yours was indeed a "special order" and not available otherwise. You may even have the only '72 Supreme hardtop with one. When was yours built?
1st week of June '72

Sorry to hijack jensenracing77
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Production figures thru June do not show any Supremes (that excludes the W30s) that got the W25 hood. That's a pretty safe bet you have true and rare "special order". Bear in mind that ordering a whole bunch of available options is not a "special order", it's just an order at that rate.
People talk about "special orders" all the time, and rarely are they truly a special order. This is definitely one.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I think we all know that like some of the Chebby COPO builds, you could get Olds options for most cars if you put in the right paperwork and it got approved by the production mgr.
Allan, that statement is just not true. That is just perpetuating myth. It was not "the the right paperwork and it got approved by the production mgr.". Special orders like this one are better compared to taking an "Act of God". They were highly unusual and not something the average Joe could get no matter what he did or how much money he had. These were done on a Corporate level and had nothing to do with any Production Manager.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM

I do agree that special orders were probably not the 'norm' as most buyers would opt for the already built cars rather than wait for theirs to hit the assembly line.
It has already been established that most cars were sold off of dealer inventories. But when a customer did order a car, it was just that, a customer ordered car. That was *not* in itself a "Special Order" car (or options). These customer ordered cars have been routinely *referred* to as Special Order cars when they are not. I'm sure they were special to the person ordering them, but that was as special as it got.

However, I do think that some dealers were better known to GM and could submit 'special' orders more routinely with a high degree of success getting them filled. I also believe that $$$ does talk and you don't need be be named YENKO to get noticed, although that also helped a lot.
Okay, you think.

So, when a special order did get submitted you're telling me that the Olds division Production Mgr didn't even see or know about it?
I said no such thing. What I said was no Production Manager had to okay or have anything to do with the decision to make a Special Order. His job is to make it happen, whatever is decided.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

So all of you arguing against the production records are saying that Olds kept lousy production records becaue they don't agree with your opinion?

So we like the production records when they support our cause, but discount them when they don't?

You will note that Scot's window sticker does not say "W25", it says "special hood", likely because this car was pulled from the line to have this hood installed. (To the bean counters "special hood" could have meant a Vista Cruiser hood for all they knew). I can't imagine the "pull" one would need for this to happen.

I personally know quite a few highly placed people who worked in experimental and engineering and a higly placed Fisher body plan person who told me that changes of this nature were resisted because of the impact on the production line - and said on numerous occaisions that orders from GM execs were turned down because of it.

In many cases car like this came thru unfinished and had to be assembled by engineering and in some cases could not be finished and were scrapped. Ask Dave H about the 4-speed Delta that could not be finished and "disappeared".

So don't think money talks in this case, because money had nothing to do with it. An extra couple of thousand $$ means nothing to screwing up a production line, where hundreds of thousands of dollars were at stake.

Scot's car was a "special order" that I can assure you came down from Olds HQ - and that is the only way it would have been built. I'll venture a guess that it was pulled from the line and had that hood installed at engineering.

Last edited by jrzybob442; May 4th, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
How about I start a thread about "Special Order Cars" and let's let jensenracing77 try to sell his here? Scot
X2 Scot

Eric - my deepest apologies for the jack. I should know better.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

That then makes he assumption there were and are a lot of "special order" cars. W/o documentation, this will be difficult.

I would also tell you that since I hail from "back in the day" there were many Oldsmobiles that has W25 hoods installed by dealers because people liked the look. Separating these and cars with the hood added miuch later from true special order cars is difficult.

My son owns a 72 CS, loaded, that he and I put a full W-25 setup on in addition to a 72 W-30 engine and trans/rear from a wrecked W-30 in 1989. Seeing the car now, 23 years later, one would swear that the car came that way. It's not a fake, he just liked the Cutlass Supreme body and it has power everything.

He could claim it was a special order and by the definition in this thread - there it is a special order W-30 CS.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Man if only I hadn't bought mine or this was up for sale earlier could of maybe found a Sunny Ca home! Good luck on the sale!!!
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Again sorry to hijack and Allan and I have deleted our posts. Best of luck on selling your wonderful and beautiful '71 Convertible SX. I started a new thread to subside the hijacking here https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rder-cars.html

Scot
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:47 PM

i don't have any trouble with it guys, it is educational.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM

i am pulling this car off the market for a while. i started it up tonight and decided to do some work to it before i sell it. i want to get it road worthy first. the tank is bad so i took the fuel line off the pump and ran a hose from the pump to a gas can. i had to clean the points and sprayed some gas into the vent to the float bowl, and just a little into the intake. it fired pretty good but needs a good tune up. i want to fix the brakes and get it running good and then i will relist it.