Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

67 Cutlass Conv. on eBay

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

67 Cutlass Conv. on eBay

Nice car but considering the guy bought it off Craig's list for $6.5k a week ago, I wouldn't buy it, at least knowing this I wouldn't. Not to say it's not worth the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...#ht_500wt_1182

It's on Craig's list again. I knew I should have looked at it a week and half ago when it was 57% cheaper.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2732941995.html

Last edited by 67Olds442X2; December 2nd, 2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added text
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Its a really nice looking car. For 6.5 I'd go for it too. 14,9? Now that's a good flip if you can do it in a couple weeks.

On the other hand, you could turn around and offer him 6.6 just to see what kind of response you get..Bet it doesn't sound anything like yours though. Is it me or is that red one sitting a little on the low side? I noticed its not a CS or a 442 - just the regular Cutlass. Although a nice ragtop it probably won't pull in the strong money he's hoping for

EDIT: I see it has the controversial 'powerglide' trans as stated in the auciton. Oooowhheee! Gonna get the olds crowd riled - not calling it the Jetaway.

Last edited by Allan R; December 2nd, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
"me somebody" site member

Hey, if he can flip the car for a tidy profit in a short amount of time, God bless him...I GUESS. It does bug me though to see someone talk up a car so much. Whenever I sell my sh..stuff, I talk it down if anything (never learn my lesson). I guess I figure if I do that, people would be pleasantly surprised when the see the car in person, and then be more likely to take it home with them. But it does seem that the audacity to talk up your stuff pays off in the end; its just a matter of having it in you to do it I guess. Me, I couldn't keep a straight face.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; December 2nd, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
car guy

Pretty much a twin in price and condtion that my 66 was. I bought it from the dealer that bought it at the original owners estate auction. I often wonderd how much he had paid but it probably would have made me sick to know.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Hey, if he can flip the car for a tidy profit in a short amount of time, God bless him...I GUESS. It does bug me though to see someone talk up a car so much. Whenever I sell my sh..stuff, I talk it down if anything (never learn my lesson). I guess I figure if I do that, people would be pleasantly surprised when the see the car in person, and then be more likely to take it home with them. But it does seem that the audacity to talk up your stuff pays off in the end; its just a matter of having it in you to do it I guess. Me, I couldn't keep a straight face.
Disclosure is a good thing. Lets you know you've done your best to educate the buyer. Good for you. IMO the guys who talk it up are the ones who will also do their best to not mention anything wrong, or are strong supporters of caveat emptor. Most go by the alias of 'slick' or "Mr. Teflon' Are there 'cooling off' graces in your state?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Allan R
Disclosure is a good thing. Lets you know you've done your best to educate the buyer. Good for you. IMO the guys who talk it up are the ones who will also do their best to not mention anything wrong, or are strong supporters of caveat emptor. Most go by the alias of 'slick' or "Mr. Teflon' Are there 'cooling off' graces in your state?
I tend to be the opposite and give too much information or talk myself out of a sale when I realise someone is buying a project that is way over thier head. Just this week I was selling a set of wheels. Everything you would need to know was advertised in my ad. I had them sold and made the mistake of asking what they are going on. I had to explain to the moron they would not get close to fitting his car and gave him his money back. I did sell them a few days later to someone that had a clue.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I tend to be the opposite and give too much information or talk myself out of a sale when I realise someone is buying a project that is way over thier head. Just this week I was selling a set of wheels. Everything you would need to know was advertised in my ad. I had them sold and made the mistake of asking what they are going on. I had to explain to the moron they would not get close to fitting his car and gave him his money back. I did sell them a few days later to someone that had a clue.
Yeah, but just think Richard. If you had sold them to the original moron, he would have come back whining about how they didn't fit. Or worse - he could have started bad mouthing you because he made the wrong decision to buy. You did good! Here's your 'attaboy' button. Collect 100,000 and redeem them for a new Rolls Kanardly
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

I guess I'm ticked at myself for not going to look at it, fairly local. I could have had a nice red, white (almost), and blue collection.

Last edited by 67Olds442X2; December 6th, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
"me somebody" site member

Only think worse than a guy talking up a car too much is a guy talking up a car that you used to own or perhaps know the history of and that you KNOW has its issues (which lets face it, most old cars do). Worse yet are the "history lesson" type ads that day nothing about the car's condition.

Next car I sell, I'm pulling all the stops. "It was 1967...blah blah....this is the only one of its kind in central BFE...blah...if you don't buy this car, you're gonna DIE...yadda yadda..."
Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:42 AM
Administrator

He's got to start somewhere on price, why not try and knock it out of the park!
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
He's got to start somewhere on price, why not try and knock it out of the park!
Spoken like a true salesman. I understand what you mean. It's called 'opportunity knocking'. Guess it's really not much different than the guys who buy houses to flip. Buy cheap - minimal investment to fix - sell high. That's how you make the most money. Given today's economy though I doubt there's a lot of 'average' people who can afford the luxury of collector cars vs food shelter and clothing for their kids. But, good luck to him; it is a really beautiful car.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

The more I look at it the more I want to check it out. An hour and a half drive. I could offer close to what he wants and forget I saw it advertised before. I should have acted earlier, he just beat me to the punch.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 67Olds442X2
The more I look at it the more I want to check it out. An hour and a half drive. I could offer close to what he wants and forget I saw it advertised before. I should have acted earlier, he just beat me to the punch.
If you want it and you can afford the price go for it. You can use what you know as a negotiating tool but you can't knock the guy for selling what its worth. Pretty much every tool I have and the shop that they are in has been paid for flipping and or fixing cars. I have lost some money every once in a while, I have made lots of deals with small profits and I have hit a few out of the park. Bottom line is something worth what someone is willing to pay regardless if it was sold for $50.00 buy a spitefull x-wife or overpaid at a collector auction for $20,000.00

Lets say I am at a swap meet and dig through a pile of $5.00 distributors only to find a 70 w30 and say I'll give you $3 for this one....

Should I sell it for $20.00 because I got a deal or should I offer it for $800.00 OBO and see what kind of offers I get?
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

Roger that.

Last edited by 67Olds442X2; December 6th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.